Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How did you decide to stick to your main?

Hello everyone.

I'm struggling a lot in BfA and I pretty much have since Legion. Vanilla > Wrath I only played rogue but in Cata I swapped to a warlock. I didn't play during MoP but in WoD I mainly played a warrior. I always had something I was drawn to with those classes, usually some really satisfying gameplay. After the ability prune I had a really hard time finding a class for me, a lot of the stuff I thought was iconic got removed or changed drastically. I've struggled a lot with finding a main, especially since I don't have the time to keep up more than 1-2 chars.

So, how did you come to stick by your main? What keeps you playing it instead of another class?

I started playing the only tank class in vanilla, and I'm still playing the only tank class in BfA.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2019-03-26 at 01:08 PM.

I didn't. I just switch to whatever I feel like playing and what I feel I can help my guild the most by playing, which is why I've switched basically every tier since the end of HFC where I switched off my main of 3-4 years, Windwalker, because I didn't (and still don't) like the changes they made to the spec. Since then I've played Sub(HFC speedkills), Feral(end of HFC/EN/ToV/NH), warrior(Gul'dan/ToS), Enhancement(Antorus, MOTHER), Sub(Fetid, Zul), Havoc(Uldir farm, was meant to be our guild's DH but somebody else also wanted to), Shadow(BoD).
    There's no reason to stick to force yourself to stick to 1 character if that's not what you enjoy, and for me personally there's no one spec/class that's fun/interesting enough for me to play for extended periods of time.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

7+ Year Old Account
    I like healing.
    I like the holy priest playstyle.
    So i play one.

Its as simple as that.

Formerly known as Arafal

I choose what LOOKS and FEELS nice. In that order.

Classes are buffed and nerfed over time. I tend to pick main for a very long time so performance is going to change. This is why performance has very little say when I choose a class to play.

I couldn't anymore. My class was ruined so hard (over the last 3 expacs) that I decided to reroll.
    Warlock -> Rogue. Best decision I made in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They had the most reps/teleportation items.

Also I really like the Blood Knight/Ret Paladin fantasy.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I decided on what role I wanted to play.
    I choose which ever Class/Spec I enjoyed most for that Role.

Basically, I chose what I had fun playing.

My Mains change fairly often during Expansion transitions.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Needed a new character for a friend group we created during WotLK. Always wanted to try a caster. I've been stuck playing a mage since.
    - Dare not to sleep -

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the look, feel, and gameplay of warlocks in their various specs, so that's why I've mained one since BC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Usually, I would start an expansion with one main, and keep it usually up to mid expansion, and then switch to a different main for variety. I would also start leveling an alt if I couldn't progress in some meaningful way on my main or when I get bored with that class. This way I woud usually keep my Death knight, druid, shaman, monk and warlock at max (or close to it) and somewhat geared, but keeping 5 chars at once is quite a lot, so I would usually end up with 2 well geared chars and the rest usually a tier behind.

In your case, I would suggest to try out a few different classes by leveling them to max and doing some dungeons at max level, it might take some time but you will be able to make the best pick for your main and alt(s). Unfortunately, blizz could have done a better job with the last pruning, a lot of flavor and depth was lost and some classes feel entirely different now than in the previous expansions, so you might spend a lot of time on a few chars you might eventually not like.

I'd also suggest to try a class or role you never expected to like/play, such as tank pally or resto shaman.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

10+ Year Old Account
    I mained Hunter early on, but went alt crazy in Wrath, so it's always been hard for me to call something a main. BFA was certainly a whole other level though, as I didn't enjoy any of the classes.

When legion launched, I started testing the grounds on a new realm and it was basically the alt that I was playing with at the moment that my guildies asked for help with a M+, and it just stuck. Also, healing really works better for me than DPSing, both in terms of engagement and in terms of matching my personality.

Before then, I mained hunter because I originally liked the fantasy of having a pet and then grew to really appreciate the instantaneousness and mobility. I wasn't too involved in endgame content due to the lack of a serious guild at the time though... It's just my alt with the fanciest garrison lol

I was a mage main for most of vanilla but towards teh end I decided on becoming a warlock for BC.

I wanted a class that could solo elites easily so I didn't have to depend on spamming /1 for a group.

Ended up staying as a warlock until Legion, it became my 2nd main after Shadow Priest.

In BfA, back to warlock but I ain't raiding anymore.

Back in 2005 I saw classes and warlock sounded to me as most interesting one.
    I still main him today. Thought he is not nessesarly most fun to play.

I liked DHs from Wc3, the closest thing back then was a rogue... so yeah.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would normally play a new class every expansion based on changes coming in or if I just wanted a change in general. Lately, i've been so fixated on only playing what groups need and it has meant that I have enjoyed the game a lot less just to benefit the rest of the group. Recently i've said fuck that and been selfish and i'm now only playing a fury warrior. Wish I had made that decision ages ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I started playing the only tank class in vanilla, and I'm still playing the only tank class in BfA.
    priest?

Vanilla to Cataclysm I played a resto druid, which is when I embraced the all-glorious form of the almighty bird (switched to balance in case someone doesn't get it). I love my druid, and I have so many toys, transmog, random items in bank that theres no way I'm ever changing my main. I've been a druid for so long that it would feel wrong maining something else, too many good memories. Also, I love the versatile play style that druid brings, so thats a plus aswell.

Mage has simply been the best class since day 1.