First ever black hole image released

Astronomers have taken the first ever image of a black hole, which is located in a distant galaxy.

It measures 40 billion km across - three million times the size of the Earth - and has been described by scientists as "a monster".

The black hole is 500 million trillion km away and was photographed by a network of eight telescopes across the world.

Details have been published today in Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Prof Heino Falcke, of Radboud University in the Netherlands, who proposed the experiment, told BBC News that the black hole was found in a galaxy called M87.

"What we see is larger than the size of our entire Solar System," he said.

"It has a mass 6.5 billion times that of the Sun. And it is one of the heaviest black holes that we think exists. It is an absolute monster, the heavyweight champion of black holes in the Universe."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47873592

Do you think tax dollars might've been better spent elsewhere?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Hmm so its like a flaming donut.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

clearly fake. how can space exist when the earth is only 5000 years old? checkmate atheists

Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    How much was spent on this?
    I think space exploration is important, more than a lot of other shit that gets tax money.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For sure. Not like anything can be done about black holes.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

You mean people were believing in something they couldn't see this WHOLE TIME?
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

No and there is already a thread on this.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...tch-Live/page2
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Someone already made a thread on this.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

MIT computer scientist Katie Bouman w/stacks of hard drives of black hole image data. She wrote the algorithm that combined all the data on the hard drives and came up with the image.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    congrats on showing a clear lack of knowledge on space and how it impacts our lives. then again i wouldn't expect someone who supports trump either know or care about space.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Ug, why did you have to turn this into a political topic? So obnoxious.

What a great contribution to science!

I love the way the professor describes the black hole in question:
    "It is an absolute monster, the heavyweight champion of black holes in the Universe."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You assume the photograph is the only thing they got out of this study. They probably invented something just for this purpose.

When you invest in space exploration, you usually get some pretty good returns with new technology.

Ya we should spend our tax dollars on more welfare mamas so they can buy 305s