Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i'd like to point out in the very beginning of walking dead, when rick and glenn cover themselves in guts while they're still in Atlanta, the zombies could at least jog. you see it when the rain comes and starts to wash the blood and guts off of rick and glenn. after that, yes they just shamble around.

my guess is nicotero would explain that in the early stages of zombification, if your body is mostly intact the zombie could at least walk at a brisk pace or slightly jog.

fast zombies have always freaked me out more, but it almost makes the antagonists (the zombies) too over powered for the story. look at world war Z, they act like ants climbing over that wall in jerusalem. i know it's a fantasy movie, but that seems a little far fetched.

the cancer zombies from I am Legend at least had a weakness. they couldnt go out in the sun.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    The only zombies that freaked me out in movies were the ones from 28 Days.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Walking dead has never been about Zombies in either show of comic book form.
    I think Robert Kirkman could say this a thousand times and his Twitter and Letter Hacks still get flooded with this. His opening statement in the first issue in the Letter Hacks stated as such...

The World War Z zombies were pretty badass.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I had actually never heard of Black Summer, I will have to go watch it now. Loved Z Nation. as for surviving in a zombie apocalypse I think it would be easier than most people think. let's say a large scale breakout happens in the USA next week. everyone knows how to kill a zombie, you disable it's head. everyone knows how the disease is passed on, via bites. the larger populated cities might be stuffed but the smaller towns/cities which can mount a defence using local citizens and cops would probably have a half decent chance of surviving. then if you manage to set up a chokepoint you could, theoretically, draw the zombies out of the large cities into the chokepoint and kill a solid number of them making taking back the larger cities a possibility. would require an absolute shitton of ammunition but you could do it.
    While I agree with your solution (as have many movies/books/television shows), your assumption of people working together is very optimistic.

or just wait them out. cause eventually their bodies will decay, all the flesh will drop off because of a lack of sustenance and, well, the laws of biology and then that will be the end of them.
    Wait them out might work, if you're fortified with a supply of food/medicine.

I'm just discussing here, in case it sounds like more. I love these conversations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post

The World War Z zombies were pretty badass.
    That movie was an abomination (but yeah, they were bad ass - check out Black Summer).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    This. In the real world, laws of thermodynamics exist. They would run out of energy eventually. Youd just have to hole up and outlast them.
    We're talking about a Zombie apocalypse, not the real world.

Have some fun with this - assume zombies last 10+ years.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-04-19 at 08:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you think about surviving in twd is suppose to be easy but unfortunately crazy motherfuckers are the meta and for some reason. Now if its wwz well kiss your ass goodbye.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I agree the issue is silly, but the idea is that millions of such bodies that can keep going will eventually be a threat.

If I ever would consider such a reality, I'd likely bend over and kiss my ass goodbye rather than live on such a world.
    I always find it a fun thought exercise. The zombies from TWD seem survivable while the ones from Z Nation/Black Summer do not. Run/climb definitely seems like the time to kiss our asses goodbye.

This. In the real world, laws of thermodynamics exist. They would run out of energy eventually. Youd just have to hole up and outlast them.
    I have always had the impression that zombie's are simply dead corpses overtaken by a pathogen or parasite. Most zombies are portrayed as near impossible to kill unless the head is gone or destroyed. Heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, etc. are all dead and unused, only the nervous system, select senses (sight, sound, smell) and the voluntary muscles seem to work leading me to believe it's all in the brain. Probably doesn't take much energy to keep that sustained, animal meat could work maybe.

On the main topic, I'd find an island asap. If zombies could swim and make it to such isolated areas, well gg.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Zombies need to swim?
    Just walk underwater until they get to you...

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    We're talking about a Zombie apocalypse, not the real world.

Have some fun with this - assume zombies last 10+ years.
    Zombie apocalypses tend to reflect how it would happen in the real world. It's often science that explains the root outbreak. Step into magic/superstition, then sure our laws are meaningless.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I'd bend over and kiss my ass goodbye.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Zombie apocalypses tend to reflect how it would happen in the real world. It's often science that explains the root outbreak. Step into magic/superstition, then sure our laws are meaningless.
    Then let's say science allows for curvature of the law of thermodynamics. Somehow a zombie apocalypse reflected in the real world allows for it. And discuss.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'd bend over and kiss my ass goodbye.
    Lol! The movie World War Z taught us the only feasible solution would be to find a cure. The rest would be just wishful thinking.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Zero3 View Post
    No matter if they run or climb, if they can't swim you can survive in both scenarios. Go on a boat, island etc
    TWD is different everybody is already infected, if one of group members dies a new outbreak can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    TWD is different everybody is already infected, if one of group members dies a new outbreak can happen.
    Yeah that's one thing that bugs me abot that show: they really got to be sleeping alone. Just one lethal heart attack at night and you got an outbreak in your compound. Also those large scale attacks... just get a sniper ffs and kill a guy inside.

I think Morgan when he was crazy did the sanest thing of all of them: clearing the area street by street, house by house. That should be priority number one, everywhere. I would help with that, probably would last a day or even two doing it

Don't bring logic to a zombie discussion

Actually, in the real world they wouldn't even be able to move. No blood flowing through the body.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, zombies in Walking Dead can still be deadly. They're not particularly smart and can be outrun pretty easily, but "zombie herds" are a thing in Walking Dead. Also you're boned if you get cornered by them inside a building or other close quarters. But yeah, I'd prefer them to zombies that can run and climb.

- - - Updated - - -

While we're on the "stuff that shouldn't happen" topic, I wonder how massive herds of zombies can still be a thing on The Walking Dead.

The initial outbreak, I get. Like 99% of the world's population is recently deceased. There should be zombies everywhere for at least the first few months of the outbreak.

But there was recently something like a 10-year time jump in the show, on top of the fact that we were already a few years into the apocalypse. The initial victims should all be long decayed to nothing, or at least to the point of not having brain matter (which is apparently required for the walker virus to do its thing) anymore. At most, we should see a few random recently deceased zombies shambling around here and there, but massive herds shouldn't exist anymore.

At the end of the day, it's a fictional series about a zombie apocalypse, but I still think about stuff like that a lot.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-04-20 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Yeah that's one thing that bugs me abot that show: they really got to be sleeping alone. Just one lethal heart attack at night and you got an outbreak in your compound. Also those large scale attacks... just get a sniper ffs and kill a guy inside.

I think Morgan when he was crazy did the sanest thing of all of them: clearing the area street by street, house by house. That should be priority number one, everywhere. I would help with that, probably would last a day or even two doing it
    Yeah, the comics are different they are way smarter there, after years they can lure a full horde away from their towns with a horse and 1 shot.
    Negan and his Gang also uses infected weapons so every scratch is deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero3 View Post
    No matter if they run or climb, if they can't swim you can survive in both scenarios. Go on a boat, island etc

We need one of these!
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

I never understood walking dead zombies. In a moment they are so soft you can rip them appart easily and efortless and they can barely push someone, in other situations they can tear someone appart like they have super strenght (like the character played by that everyone hate chris actor).
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Pretty easy. Get some full body armor, or make it if you have to. Get a nice sword or a metal pipe, something that wont break.

Armor only has to be strong enough to withstand the force of a humans bite...
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-04-23 at 07:57 PM.