Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    It’s a fine line to balance when creating “solo” content via random grouping.
    That's why I think it should be a choice. Systems can be created to allow solo or groups of two or three friends without touching what already exists.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    It was always a misconception some people thought MMORPG means (premade) group play only. The definition just says it is a role playing game in a shared world. There is nothing in the definition of the MMORPG genre which says it should be limited to grouped up gameplay.
    Yes, but this was not the original concept of games like Everquest, World of Warcraft, and all of the spawn clones of the two. This genre was intentionally designed to be heavily group-based and social. This isn't to say that the industry shouldn't evolve. However, to say that the game isn't already heavily catering to the solo player is a complete joke.

I think they should find a balance to it. I'd rather have focused solo content than the current anti-social multiplayer content like WQs. But I'd ofc favour a good mix of both solo n' multiplayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Why yes, Blizz sure is a bunch of happy fellas!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    There's a lot of potential content that could keep mostly-solo players occupied for a long time, but the game is hellbent on drowning people in loot that far exceeds the difficulty of the content to acquire that loot, so these players who do not raid or have a stable m+ group, run out of things worth pursuing incredibly quickly in BFA.

A major difficulty overhaul of world content, and reducing how quickly people get loot overall, would make a massive difference to how long BFA would keep players having something to strive for. But that doesn't work as long as Blizzard wants to treat every content patch like a Diablo 3 Season...
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedictu View Post
    Yes, but this was not the original concept of games like Everquest, World of Warcraft, and all of the spawn clones of the two. This genre was intentionally designed to be heavily group-based and social. This isn't to say that the industry shouldn't evolve. However, to say that the game isn't already heavily catering to the solo player is a complete joke.
    Part of the problem is, gamers time and time again prove just how anti-social they really are while crying how the game needs more social interaction.

It’s almost like they need to feel super over others in a game to feel better about themselves. There’s virtually zero tolerance for players learning and yet the game needs new players to stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    There's a lot of potential content that could keep mostly-solo players occupied for a long time, but the game is hellbent on drowning people in loot that far exceeds the difficulty of the content to acquire that loot, so these players who do not raid or have a stable m+ group, run out of things worth pursuing incredibly quickly in BFA.

A major difficulty overhaul of world content, and reducing how quickly people get loot overall, would make a massive difference to how long BFA would keep players having something to strive for. But that doesn't work as long as Blizzard wants to treat every content patch like a Diablo 3 Season...
    I think the pace on acquiring loot is good as it is currently. And that content in a MMORPG should be available to anyone, no matter if he plays in a group or would like to play alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW could be way more successfull probably if it would focus on the solo player part more than it does now.

What do you think?
    No thanks.

It already offers you some solo player directed options but in the end, it is an MMORPG that should be fed with the need of you, as the traveler, to seek others to defeat a stronger foe and not just because you don't like foreigners.

MMORPG's should encourage multiplay, not solo play.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2019-04-20 at 12:04 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

No thanks. This game is already way too encouraging of solo play. If everything is optional, then nothing matters. You should have to interact with other people in an MMORPG. Otherwise, what's the point? Why not just play a single player RPG instead?

Play a normal RPG if you want to play solo. A mmo isn't the right place for you then. You won't have success in WoW, FFXIV or somewhere else with this attitude

Quote Originally Posted by bitmapman View Post
    No thanks. This game is already way too encouraging of solo play. If everything is optional, then nothing matters. You should have to interact with other people in an MMORPG. Otherwise, what's the point? Why not just play a single player RPG instead?
    I'm generalizing a whole age range and this isn't true for everyone in this age range, so bear with me here.

I don't know this guy's age, but it's a Millennial thing (and I'm a Millennial, so not being condescending). They want to be around people but not actually have to interact with them. It's not necessarily non social. They like and tolerate people, but they grew up not having to be forced to face-to-face interact with people. There were always tablets/phones/insta/twitter/facebook for any social interaction one might need.

Or a forum. A forum is a safe space for a Millennial because there's no face-to-face contact. You can say what you want. Maybe people will agree. Maybe they won't. There's no social accountability. It's passive online human connection and that's what they prefer. Grouping beyond faceroll grouping is, in essence, face-to-face contact. You have to have meaningful interface with people to get things done and there's a certain sort of social accountability. If you suck, people will say you suck.

I used the example of all the hipsters you see in Starbucks in another one of this dude's threads. They're always there. They have their headphones in. They're on their computers alone. They're in a social space, but they don't want to interact with anyone. Because so much of the Millennial's life is spent online, there's still this need to be around physical people (or virtual people in the case of WoW).

In 2004 the Millennial was in their teens or much younger and did not impact the game like they do now that older players have left. Unfortunately, this guy is the current and future of WoW. Expect to see more catering to the Millennial, because that is who is playing. Rewards need to be right now. You need to put in minimal effort for those rewards. Making social bonds with people is superfluous to this.

Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    The game is already solo player more than ever. What can you not do by yourself? You can do dungeons, battlegrounds, raids, all without actually interacting with a person.
    I think the main people is finding people to do group contents with. Not everyone plays at the same level. Not everyone is as dedicated to the game as others. When the community is creating mods like raidier.io and gearscore to filter out people, group contents becomes a problem because it becomes difficult for some to find others to group with.

LFD and LFR goes some way to assist this and yet there are others who are calling for their removal.

Take the Proudmoore questline that requires Seige of Boralus. I was surprised at why is dungeon was mythic only and requires LFG given that it seems to be required for PathFinder.

Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    A lot of content that is considered multiplayer is essentially single player anyway. It's like an illusion of playing with other people. Take world bosses for example. Nobody is actually thinking, every other person could be replaced by NPCs and you wouldn't know better. You're basically going to a spot to hit an enemy until it drops your loot. From how developers speak of systems like this, it sounds like they think that this is actually engaging multiplayer activity, but it's not, and this is why warfronts are the way they are.
    Many PUGs for raids and dungeons I did in the past were like that. No one really talk. No one really crack jokes. My guess is that they are to kill boss and collect loot. Not to make friends. Do you speak to random people every time? If not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Blizzard has doubled down enough on creating systems to throw random players together. Whether they address that by creating more solo content or whatever they would be well advised to think about what it's doing to their game.

More solo play would suit a lot of people. Surveys of players in other MMOs have turned up a percentage of over 50% of all players are going it alone. The economics are simple. Contrary to opinion here a lot more solo content or content that allowed players to access it solo or with very small groups (like two or three) would probably benefit the business side of the game. Systems such as this need not hinder those that either want to do the content with complete strangers or in guilds. It also doesn't need to reward "best" gear or anything like it. But it would be welcome, make no mistake.
    ^ This, honestly. The small group play would be a welcome option for my wife & I, plus our friends when they happen to join. I’d kinda like to see scaling dungeon content that functions much akin to Diablo 2, actually. Let me see the place solo if I choose, but weaken the rewards like XP & loot. Bump up the threat & rewards if there are 2, 3 or 4+ of us, etc.

“Diablo’s...err, Azshara’s/N’zoth’s minions grow stronger.” Flexible group sizes instead of a fixed minimum would be fantastic for story exposure & replay-ability, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Maybe not raids, but I did enjoy the AI Battleground.

I'm torn TBH. On my main, I enjoy the MMO aspect of WOW, particularly with my guild. On my ALTS, I simply CBF and gear up (mostly) via WQ's & WF's... maybe the odd LFR.
    I fond those arathi's interestin tho they clearly need tweeking, half the time we rushed just stables and then camped their GY.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

7+ Year Old Account
    WoW could be way more successfull probably if it would focus on the solo player part more than it does now.

What do you think?
    If you want 'solo' play skyrim
    Legion is the worst expansion
    BFA=Blizzard Failed Again
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment..._google_trend/

OP.

Kindly **** off to ESO if you want more SP content, that game has literally tons of it floored at your feet left and right.

What do you want to be able to do solo that you can't currently?

I'd be happy if raids ahad a 3-5 person option, but then again it would be less effort for the raid leader so people that do not lead wouldn't be able to claim that bigger numbers make it harder.

What do you think?
    Isn't it against the ToS of this forum to create a new thread that has the same topic as one that got closed?

What do you think?
    And what specific solo related content would you like to see OP? Would solo scenarios be good enough?

10+ Year Old Account
    I play WOW because it is a MMO, I get to play with other ppl and I like that. Now there are days I don't feel like that. On those days I'll fire up The Witcher 3 or Zelda, a good single player game. WOW is made to be played with others just like other games are made to be played solo. Please, if you want to play a SP game go find yourself a good one and enjoy but don't try to change a MMO into a SP game because you want it to be that way. Its just like going to Pizza Hut and demanding them sell you a Hamburger when all you have to do is Walk across the street to Wendy's,Burger King or Micky D's. Don't try to change something because you don't like it.