Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Yes, many do, which is a big reason the US is in the position we are in.
    What is wrong with Americans?! It's a fucking legal entity, not a person.

It is all the people who began using the Internet only when Facebook started up who never learned to navigate it by themselves. They rely on everything being fed to them. On the other hand, I learned to sleuth my way around through the early 00's.

They don't understand what made the Internet so appealing. They never learned to temper themselves while browsing content or how to handle such a volume of information nor discern it.

I can't blame them per say, but they still are responsible for killing the joy from many parts of the Internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Do people in USA seriously believe this?
    Not really. Connal's not approaching this reasonably.

Literally all that "corporate personhood" means is that you can sign contracts with/file lawsuits against that corporation, and that corporation can be recognized as having free speech and property rights in and of itself.

It's a convenience, since it gives that corporation no special rights that its owners did not already possess. And the rights that it grants are fairly limited. In the USA, it's basically the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 14th amendments;
    Right to free speech
    Freedom from unlawful search and seizure
    Protects their property from government seizure
    Equal treatment under the law

That's basically it.

10+ Year Old Account
    And somehow this is ok for a faceless corporation where profit runs the decision making process.

A Corporation is a person, if that person was a psychopath.

@Heran as a reminder, the left used to be strongly against this.
    Corporations don't act on their own. Every single decision a corporation makes is made by an actual person.

Corporations aren't inhuman AIs or something. This is completely ridiculous. It's people who are driven by that profit motive. The Corporation has no desires or needs and doesn't care one bit about profits, because it isn't actually a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Guess again on which side of the fence I am on. Always against attempts to control and limit free speech.
    That's an employment issue, and while I don't agree with that, it's fundamentally because I don't agree with at-will employment as a concept, to begin with. They should have needed to show cause to fire her, and refusing to sign that oath wouldn't qualify.

If, however, she had been racist, and ranting about "kikes taking over the country", she should be fired, and that kind of racism would be cause for dismissal.

- - - Updated - - -

And Citizens United was just meant to increase its speech, and nothing more.

You miss a lot Endus, and I won't be trying to argue against the blindness you display here.
    I can take an issue with lobbying without taking issue with the international standard of corporate personhood as a whole. Which is what you're doing.

Corporate personhood as a concept is a legal convenience, nothing more. It doesn't give corporations any more rights or freedoms than its owners already possessed, it just means they don't have to follow the chain of ownership or get a majority of shareholders' signatures on every little decision made.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Corporations don't act on their own. Every single decision a corporation makes is made by an actual person.

Corporations aren't inhuman AIs or something. This is completely ridiculous. It's people who are driven by that profit motive. The Corporation has no desires or needs and doesn't care one bit about profits, because it isn't actually a person.
    ... You have such a twisted view of the world. Being a corporation doesn't give something validation... corporations no longer compete to remain competitive as we have seen finical institutions will simply cut off access to vital services for running a business to push ideologically now.

The day has changed to night and it is about time we accept that as the new reality.

^ Sums up those who simply want to be anonymous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    ... You have such a twisted view of the world. Being a corporation doesn't give something validation...
    I never made any such statement or implication. So, once again, you're making up horseshit and pretending it's coming out of my mouth.

corporations no longer compete to remain competitive as we have seen finical institutions will simply cut off access to vital services for running a business to push ideologically now.
    You're literally describing competition while claiming it doesn't exist. Amazing.

I never made any such statement or implication. So, once again, you're making up horseshit and pretending it's coming out of my mouth.

You're literally describing competition while claiming it doesn't exist. Amazing.
    Who are they competing with then?

Bitcoin? It isn't competition it is using a monopoly to push morality.

People exploited it and used it for bad things.

It went from Wild West to shopping mall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who are they competing with then?

Bitcoin? It isn't competition it is using a monopoly to push morality.
    The financial institutions? Every other such institution.

Bringing up cryptocurrency is an attempt to move goalposts, since nothing about your original point had anything to do with specific currency to begin with.

Worse, the only thing I can figure you might be talking about is Paypal banning groups like Infowars for pushing hate speech. It's as much about "ideology" as them choosing to close terrorist group's accounts would be. Which means this whole example is phrased in a deliberately baity way, to mislead people as to the facts.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-04-26 at 08:04 PM.

The financial institutions? Every other such institution.

Bringing up cryptocurrency is an attempt to move goalposts, since nothing about your original point had anything to do with specific currency to begin with.
    Yes such competition... that is why they all act in unison... Next your going to tell me that Canada the country that has absurd internet fees is a free market because bell sells the use of its lines to its own companies...

I admit to being a bit blindsided to your ignorance of the world around you. I imagine that when the social contract starts to change it will come as a devastating blow to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes such competition... that is why they all act in unison...
    Well, they don't. And yes, they're in competition; you can use any other financial institution you choose to.

Next your going to tell me that Canada the country that has absurd internet fees is a free market because bell sells the use of its lines to its own companies...
    The high internet fees are due to the large cost of infrastructure; we're a massive nation for the size of our population.

There's plenty of competition in the markets; Bell does not in any way have it locked down.

This site shows a solid 55 options for internet service, just here in Ottawa; https://www.findinternet.ca/en/ottawa-ontario

I admit to being a bit blindsided to your ignorance of the world around you. I imagine that when the social contract starts to change it will come as a devastating blow to you.
    And back to baseless personal attacks.

Well, they don't. And yes, they're in competition; you can use any other financial institution you choose to.

The high internet fees are due to the large cost of infrastructure; we're a massive nation for the size of our population.

There's plenty of competition in the markets; Bell does not in any way have it locked down.

This site shows a solid 55 options for internet service, just here in Ottawa; https://www.findinternet.ca/en/ottawa-ontario

And back to baseless personal attacks.
    Right they are in competition when they own all the lines and everyone has to buy from them...

I honestly can't fathom how the world works in your mind. I believe that you have taken to oligarchy the same way men use to take to a god. You see it as some unquestionable arbitrator of right and wrong and place it above people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right they are in competition when they own all the lines and everyone has to buy from them...
    That's not how services work in Canada. You really should know better. They might own the lines, but they're legally obligated to allow third-party access.

I honestly can't fathom how the world works in your mind. I believe that you have taken to oligarchy the same way men use to take to a god. You see it as some unquestionable arbitrator of right and wrong and place it above people.
    I'm not even arguing for an oligarchic system. You're back to making up horseshit. Utter, complete horseshit, that has nothing to do with anything I have ever said, and in fact lies directly opposed to my actual position.

You're lying, and I've corrected you often enough that it's clearly not just a mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if you are lying? It is interesting that you think everyone that disagrees with you is lying. Though makes complete sense in that you think everyone thinks alike, and if they don't it's because there is some malicious intent.

So Endus... stop lying!
    There are plenty of people I disagree with who don't lie.

There are a few who do, unrepentantly.

I've even asked that they directly quote me saying the things they claim, and without exception, none of them have ever been able to back up their bullshit.

But here, you yourself are lying about my views, making up your own set of horseshit that has nothing to do with anything I have ever said.

I really have to wonder what you people think you're going to gain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you psychic and can tell people's intentions?
    I didn't make any such argument or claim. Why do you make this shit up?

I'm not lying about your views... that is what you look like to me, sitting on the other side of the screen and reading your posts. The impression I get is you think anyone that does not agree with you is lying.
    Then your impression is wrong, and could be corrected by bothering to look at my posting history, which you won't do, because you're not interested in whether your slander is accurate or not. It isn't about truth, to you, at all, it's just about making shit up to make me look bad.

Regardless, I'm not letting you drag me into defending myself from the bullshit people like yourself make up, just to bait me into an angry response and/or derail the thread. You can't back any of this shit up, and you know it. I won't respond to any further bait of this sort here.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-04-26 at 08:44 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stripping personhood from corporations should be goal number 1.
    This wouldn't fix anything.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it would... for one thing it takes a lot of money out of politics. Though at this point it would never happen, so it's just a dream.
    How does it take money out? You would have to make a law stopping it.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    snip.
    So the owner donates the money personally. Money still gets donated. Nothing really changed.