Poll: What type of server will you choose and why

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I played PvE back in Vanilla, but I was 12 y/o, so I didn't really know what I wanted, just followed my friends, who also chose the server randomly.

I will probably go for PvP, and maybe play a rogue or something to feel safer, lol (rogue was my main in Vanilla anyway, so it willbe nostalgia hit, too).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Villentretenmerth View Post
    Damn, I didn't expect so many pussies who play on PvE Servers.
    They are making rage threads for getting ganked once a full moon on retail with all that sharding. PvE safe space mode is more advised for them.

PvE most likely.

pve probably
    played pvp for years and got tired of slowing my pve progress down, can always jump into a bg if i want to slay others
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

PVE.

I was there 15 years ago when i didn't know any better and played on darkspear PVP server. Now that I have a wife and 2 kids and work 60 hours a week I dont have time to sit there getting corpse camped or my quest givers being killed. I want to level and not worry about bullshit. If i want to PVP ill hop into a BG. That way i can get to 60 as fast as possible and focus on endgame with the time i have instead of worrying about getting killed everytime I try to do a simple quest and waste 30 minutes getting camped by some stupid rogue who /spits on me.

5+ Year Old Account
    PvE for certain. Back in Vanilla, I made the mistake of rolling a Horde char in a heavily dominated Alliance PvP server. It was annoying to no end, moreso as a Priest, to the point that I couldn't quest on my own because those pesky rogues seemed to be everywhere. I don't have that kind of patience anymore, so PvE for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

My first will be PVE so that i can enjoy the old world in peace.

Later on i can make some PVP rogue or other pvp capable class and have some fun in STV.

Quote Originally Posted by Imretyo View Post
    What type of server will you play on, and why
    RP PVP servers won't even exist. Or have they changed that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Classic isn't vanilla, and the PvP won't be anything like it was. I enjoyed PvP servers in vanilla but I have no interest in dealing with the tryhard meta of a million consumables and items + every person using engineering popularized by private servers. So I'll probably just stick to RP.
    Engineering was always the main profession choice for PVPers and thus most people interested had it. Don't talk out of your ass

It'll be a PvE server if I do jump back in. As fun as the PvP was in Vanilla, it's absolutely not going to be the same in classic.

I've had my fill of Southshore vs TM fights, BRM warzones and 6 hour long back and forths for a world boss. Screw that noise. I just don't have the time or the patience for it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Engineering was always the main profession choice for PVPers and thus most people interested had it. Don't talk out of your ass
    Even if you had Engineering, it was extremely rare to take the Goblin Engineering you needed to create the rocket helm. Most players opted for Gnomish for the more convenient teleporter to Gadgetzan. Buying a Rocket Helm from another player would cost you an arm, a leg and your first born child. Most players also used their best boots rather than rocket boots, and trinket slots were usually covered by your PvP trinket and either Blackhand's Breadth or Eye of the Beast. So no reflectors either. It wasn't common at all to see use of explosive consumables in PvP outside of characters who already had Engineering to begin with.

When it became apparent later on that Engineering was the best choice for PvP, most players were already well invested into their current professions. The most hardcore of the hardcore may have switched, but on my realm the vast majority just stuck with what they already had. Perhaps it was different on your realm, but on mine PvP Engineers who used the Rocket Helmet, Mind Control Cap, Rocket Boots, Reflectors, Cloaking Devices, Shield Belts and also came prepared with enough Explosives to turn IF into a pile of rubble were a tiny minority of the players.

It did get more popular after they removed the restrictions on certain items and allowed you to retrain your Engineering specilisation, but that was very late on into Vanilla's lifespan.

At this point in time everyone and their dog knows just how strong engineering is right out of the gate. Now the secret is out you can expect pretty much everyone with a passing interest in PvP to at least strongly consider Engineering. @Hitei is correct that you'll run into a lot more "tryhards" in Classic than you ever would have in Vanilla. Private servers have normalised having all the reflectors and gadgets, and you can expect players to follow those established norms for Classic. In Vanilla it was very abnormal to see players putting in that much effort.

Alliance will be PVP and Horde just regular. I wanna experience it both ways. Plus if I end up getting ganked a lot, can always just switch to my Horde alt.

I played PvP in Vanilla, but have been on PvE ever since. I see the value in PvP servers, and adding to the overall danger of the world (raid ganking in Blackrock, STV, etc.), but I've also toyed around on pservs where the second you cross into Redridge, there are 1-3 guys who just love disrupting the world.

On a fresh launch of Classic, this won't be that big a deal, but really as time goes on it will be harder and harder to get things done. Classic is already a longer levelling experience. I'm not a young, single guy who can devote 18 hours a day to the game. I just can't justify knee-capping myself even more. Yes, I'll lose out on some organic player-driven gameplay, but I've always been more interested in the PvE game, and doing BGs for my PvP fix. PvE for me.

Depends on friends likely pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    They are making rage threads for getting ganked once a full moon on retail with all that sharding. PvE safe space mode is more advised for them.
    Stranglethorn or Hillsbrad on a PvE Server must be so fucking boring. There is nothing more fun than if you get ambushed from the opposite faction but you manage to kill him off. Or if not, try to group up and fight them back. These little roaming PvP skirmishes are pretty much the most fun you can have in WoW!