7+ Year Old Account

Coming Ryzen 3000 question

Will the upcoming ryzen 3000 series cpus be better than all the current Intel cpus? Where will they rank among current Intel comparatively? I'm guessing they may beat the i5s but not the i7s and i9s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based om the preview earlier this year yes.

A Ryzen 5 of unknown model type beat the the I9-9900k in the test they had set up.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    Based om the preview earlier this year yes.

A Ryzen 5 of unknown model type beat the the I9-9900k in the test they had set up.
    Uh, no. That was an unnamed Ryzen (they never said it was an R5), and the 9900K was limited to stock speeds.

If you honestly believe they are going to piss money away by giving R5s 16 threads out of the goodness of their heart, you might be interested in some real-estate i have for sale in brooklyn.

That being said, the actually-tested Ryzen 3000 chips are showing a 10-15% IPC increase, which puts them dead even (or within margin of error) of Intel, and clocks seem to max out at 4.5ghz. So, IPC gap completely closed, and max performance gap closed to 500~600mhz. Considering theyll likely sell for the same peices as the 2000 series they are replacing, theyll be a lot cheaper than the Intel chips.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only correct answer is that we don't know yet, we'll know a lot more 2½ weeks from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    Will the upcoming ryzen 3000 series cpus be better than all the current Intel cpus? Where will they rank among current Intel comparatively? I'm guessing they may beat the i5s but not the i7s and i9s.
    These are all questions that can't be answered until the product launches and has had time to be thoroughly reviewed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    We have no idea, man. It's all rumors except that one demo they did where they limited the 9900k to it's stock speed (3.6GHz I think?). Wait until they're announced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    We have no idea, man. It's all rumors except that one demo they did where they limited the 9900k to it's stock speed (3.6GHz I think?). Wait until they're announced.
    It was just full stock no tinkering and no thermal throttling. So the boost was still it's 5GHz for a single core. Anandtech verified it's the similar (within margin of error) score they got for CB and Zen 2 had identical score but more efficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It was just full stock no tinkering and no thermal throttling. So the boost was still it's 5GHz for a single core. Anandtech verified it's the similar (within margin of error) score they got for CB and Zen 2 had identical score but more efficient.
    Aah, okay. Must've misread what I read about it then, since I thought they didn't run at turbo speeds.

Well there is a rumor going around that there is a ryzen 3000 engineering sample with a boost clock of 4.2. It may be time to temper expectations of some big upset, on one hand it is supposedly the as of yet announced 16 core chip and on the other that should not really affect the boost clocks too much.

It looks like AMD may not yet have those clock speeds but we don't have to wait so long to find out.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.