Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The systems the game employ make crafting useless, the gear treadmill is set on sprint rather than marathon, making anything you would actually invest into a mistake at best. Additionally, the algorithm for generating stats on gear is mundane and has zero creativity, which makes for items that are infinitely scalable and infinitely forgettable. Their system would allow for crafting to upgrade items, pretty much indefinitely, but it would be about as interesting as getting a new pair of bracers. So, until we get item upgrades more interesting than +2 primary, +4 stamina, +3 secondary x, +3 secondary y, any changes to crafting will be heavily weighed down by a fundamentally boring design.

They also need to remove the ease at which resources are gathered. There’s just too much stuff available because players are able to multi-tap nodes, which is a problem created most likely by addressing issues with sharding. It completely devalues the gathering professions that any single player may have.

Another issue is the ease at which items are created. It requires almost no effort or time to reach max level crafting in a BfA profession, which means there are significantly more max level crafters than at any other time, essentially turning every blacksmith into a master blacksmith and so on for the other professions as well. There needs to rpg elementals added to crafting (or inconveniences as others would call them) in order to create value around what is being made.

I don’t expect any of this to be addressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    They also need to remove the ease at which resources are gathered. There’s just too much stuff available because players are able to multi-tap nodes, which is a problem created most likely by addressing issues with sharding. It completely devalues the gathering professions that any single player may have.
    Or increase the required amount of gathered materials to compensate. Easier to accomplish than rewriting the code for nodes.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Step 1 is to go back and actually make professions have consumable items worth having.

What do we have now? lackluster weapon enchants, ring enchants, random proc gem slots, alchemy consumables.
    That's it.
    Where are the leg, chest, helm, etc enhancements?

Enchanting- can enchant all slots barring helm chest and legs, including trinkets, enchants stack with enhancements.
    Inscription- gets helm and chest 'rune' enchantments and reforge scrolls which allow you to reforge 1 piece of armor (excluding trinkets rings or amulets)
    Tailoring- offers cloak and cloth leg enhancements, consumable to add gem socket to cloth armor
    Blacksmithing - offers plate legs and weapon and shield enhancements, consumable to add gem socket to plate armor
    Leatherworking - offers belt and leather leg enhancements, consumable to add gem socket to leather armor
    Engineering - offers gun/bow/crossbow and wrist enhancements, consumable to add sockets to trinkets, possibly the go to for pvp focused enchants
    Alchemy - Consumables already have their place
    Jewelcrafting - Gems have a massive place thanks to tailoring leatherwork, blacksmith and engineering sockets, can reforge rings and amulets.
    Gathering profs - give them chase items that are high value, remember hide of the beast? Stuff like that

That alone would get professions back in action following the gear treadmill, however that's just the tip of the iceberg of what they could do to make professions actually be useful.
    Last edited by Yes but actually no; 2019-06-09 at 11:09 PM.

I don't remember them ever being good in terms of gameplay, so beats me.
    I wouldn't mind it if they added back gem slots, enchants, glyphs etc though. And for the love of RNG, let us craft a consumable like the Bear Tartare again before it was nerfed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fishing in BFA was terrible id like to see wreckages come back like in classic and in BC where you could fish up random stuff that helps other professions like fishing up cloth,green items maybe buffed food or drink, a rare or 2, instead we get pools of fish you cant fish in because the pool is in water so low you cant land a catch.
    Last edited by starkey; 2019-06-09 at 10:56 PM.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Remove pre-potting.

Make crafted gear worth wearing.

Make professions do anything at all.

The 8.1 profession quests that added that handy item that doesn't work in dungeons or raids could not have been a bigger waste of player and developer time outside of the alchemy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    For starters, I'd bring back a lot of things that've been removed. Crafted consumables and enhancements (sharpening stones, weightstones, spell oils, leg armor kits, belt buckles, etc) are big ones.

Go back to allowing enchants on almost every gear slot, not just rings and weapons.

Bring back socket bonuses and make socketed gear more common.

Bring back specializations (armorsmith/weaponsmith choice for blacksmiths, etc).

I could probably do better than that, but my first thought on why professions suck so much today is that so much stuff got removed or cut back over the years.
    Yeah socket RNG is really a pain. I know they removed it because everyone bought the same gems but it got gold moving, same with enchantments. And it was something else for guilds to manage internally if they wanted too. Now we enchant 1-2 weapons, 2 rings and cloak, next expansion we might enchant necks too. That's still only 5 slots, really a step back from where enchanting used to be great.

Remember rep based shoulder and helm enchants? They were great. And meta gem sockets in helmets!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    A specific way? Don't know, but more craftables that don't become irrelevant as soon as you craft them (hyperbole)
    made my helmet months ago, still using it to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Here's how we fix jewelcrafting and bring back reforging: replace gear secondary stats (or maybe just one) with slots that have pre-slotted gems. If you're happy with the stats the gems give, fine, but if you want a different stat (or maybe even a better gem) then consult your local jewelcrafter.
    Last edited by Dilbon; 2019-06-09 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    made my helmet months ago, still using it to this day.
    I made gloves, shields, necks and rings thay become irrelevant within an hour of being crafted.

Did you have fun in this merry go around silly ride?

7+ Year Old Account
    I made gloves, shields, necks and rings thay become irrelevant within an hour of being crafted.

Did you have fun in this merry go around silly ride?
    why do you not make the better ones that last you?
    my helmet has lasted me 5 months now, what profession are you?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-06-09 at 11:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    why do you not make the better ones that last you?
    my helmet has lasted me 5 months now, what profession are you?
    Then please tell me what items am i missing in order to upgrade my craftables into an acceptable ilvl. I seemed to be missing those items from legion that gave you, what, 5 ilvls to your craftables

Im talking about BS armour and JC items

10+ Year Old Account
    wrath module and f8ck balance
    let each profession has its buff
    literally just use wrath module, also that means return of ammo to game (if possible) but in wrath professions were most diverse and unique, something that i don't feel since cata+, except the tiny engineer change during MoP
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

7+ Year Old Account
    Then please tell me what items am i missing in order to upgrade my craftables into an acceptable ilvl. I seemed to be missing those items from legion that gave you, what, 5 ilvls to your craftables

Im talking about BS armour and JC items
    So jewel crafting you need to craft the 385 ring that requires 15 tidal cores
    then you unlock the recipe to make a 400 ring
    then you unlock the recipe to make the 415 ring
    the 400 and 415 use breath of bwom, and all three use expulsion but if you scrap them you get 100% back

blacksmithing has the exact same thing but i think its like... gloves and legs? not sure, you craft a 385 that needs tidal cores, then it unlocks the breath of bwomsombdi version.

Blacksmithing is legs and belt aparently.

so make the enhanced stromsteel belt and leggings, it will unlock the 400's then make those, and it will unlokc 415.

you need to craft the spirited kraken ring
    which needs the tidal krakens ring.

so with a few crafting good, 600 breath of bwomsombdi, and 65 expulsum you can have 3 415's
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-06-09 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Or increase the required amount of gathered materials to compensate. Easier to accomplish than rewriting the code for nodes.
    I’m generally against modes of play that favor multibox players, in this case the solution is simple, just have nodes work like they did, any code being changed would be insignificant in worse case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    I know all the craft persons are going to scream, "OH NO MY PROFITS!"

But...

I would like to see each class have an innate crafting ability. Plate wearers get smithing, leather wearers get leatherworking and clothies get tailoring.

This innate crafting will serve as a type of bad luck protection. As you raid or do mythics and kill bosses, you get materials, then these materials can be used to make class specific armor. This could go a long ways towards eliminating armor vendors.

The rest of the profession skills like jewel crafting, tinkering, alchemy, herbalism, mining etc... would work as usual, anyone can learn any two of those skills.

And of course the fishing, cooking type skills, can be learned by anyone who cares to learn them.

- P
    Love it. Would be nice for all the classes to have default talents based on their armor type that they can use.

For me, I think they should make crafting the go to for the catch up gear. You fell behind and want that quick boost instead of doing the previous content to get it? Okay, get out there and make it. When they make new world content, they can have the new mini-bosses drop the higher end items, along with medium difficulty dungeons and raids, needed to craft or upgrade the items.

In TBC I remember having a blacksmith. I then further learned the weapon smithing, specifically swords. I remember going from the Lionheart Blade to the Lionheart Champion, all the way to the Lionheart Executioner. Each involved effort and afterwards, actually felt like a reward.

Bring a system like that back instead of just tossing the catch up gear on easy things like WQs.

Make mining,herbalism, skinning secondary profesions. Make crafted gear better and make WQ's drop rare materials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yes but actually no View Post
    Step 1 is to go back and actually make professions have consumable items worth having.

What do we have now? lackluster weapon enchants, ring enchants, random proc gem slots, alchemy consumables.
    That's it.
    Where are the leg, chest, helm, etc enhancements?

Enchanting- can enchant all slots barring helm chest and legs, including trinkets, enchants stack with enhancements.
    Inscription- gets helm and chest 'rune' enchantments and reforge scrolls which allow you to reforge 1 piece of armor (excluding trinkets rings or amulets)
    Tailoring- offers cloak and cloth leg enhancements, consumable to add gem socket to cloth armor
    Blacksmithing - offers plate legs and weapon and shield enhancements, consumable to add gem socket to plate armor
    Leatherworking - offers belt and leather leg enhancements, consumable to add gem socket to leather armor
    Engineering - offers gun/bow/crossbow and wrist enhancements, consumable to add sockets to trinkets, possibly the go to for pvp focused enchants
    Alchemy - Consumables already have their place
    Jewelcrafting - Gems have a massive place thanks to tailoring leatherwork, blacksmith and engineering sockets, can reforge rings and amulets.
    Gathering profs - give them chase items that are high value, remember hide of the beast? Stuff like that

That alone would get professions back in action following the gear treadmill, however that's just the tip of the iceberg of what they could do to make professions actually be useful.
    Except this wouldn't just make them 'be useful' it would make them be mandatory and will force people to grind again, either for gold or for materials to make sure every slot is complete.

Crafting professions should have extra benefits only usable by the crafter similar to Wotlk.

Enchanting: Chest enchant (Maybe wrist because of azerite gear)
    Tailor: Cloak enchant
    Blacksmithing: Extra socket
    Leatherworking: Legs enchant
    Engineering: Gloves enchant
    Alchemy: Extra duration / power from flasks
    Jewelcrafting: Stronger gem

Sockets should be set on items, and shouldn't be decided by titanforges.
    Standard enchants should be Rings, Weapons, Offhand/Shield

Each one can have a few extras that already exist (parachute cloak for instance), but major stat bonuses should be limited to the profession.
    Having to get enhancements and enchants for everything just sucks, especially with the current gear turnover rate.

Along with these profession 'specialities' lets call them, just add more upgradable BoP gear like used to exist in TBC.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2019-06-10 at 07:08 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Except this wouldn't just make them 'be useful' it would make them be mandatory and will force people to grind again, either for gold or for materials to make sure every slot is complete.
    In a game with nothing to do, professions being entirely pointless and people complaining about a lack of customisation to their character i am failing to see a problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post

Crafting professions should have extra benefits only usable by the crafter similar to Wotlk.

Enchanting: Chest enchant (Maybe wrist because of azerite gear)
    Tailor: Cloak enchant
    Blacksmithing: Extra socket
    Leatherworking: Legs enchant
    Engineering: Gloves enchant
    Alchemy: Extra duration / power from flasks
    Jewelcrafting: Stronger gem

Sockets should be set on items, and shouldn't be decided by titanforges.
    Standard enchants should be Rings, Weapons, Offhand/Shield

Each one can have a few extras that already exist (parachute cloak for instance), but major stat bonuses should be limited to the profession.
    Having to get enhancements and enchants for everything just sucks, especially with the current gear turnover rate.

Along with these profession 'specialities' lets call them, just add more upgradable BoP gear like used to exist in TBC.
    Your proposition would actually make proffesions "mandatory" - if something is exclusive to f.e. proffesion youre "forced" to have it (like clothies saying there "forced to take bs in mop for extra socket which was mathematicaly most op of the bonuses) - if you want to not be "forced" that things need to be not proff specific (like bs belt buckle - consumable for everyone so you can just buy it off ah, not extra socket on i think it was wrists for bs only)