Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    it might create a precedent to also crack down on other exclusivity in video games
    Which isn’t a good idea for consumers. It feels like it is, but it really isn’t. How far does it go? How low is the bar going to be? Companies will make games that will work on the weakest console on the market, if everything has to be cross platform.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Which isn’t a good idea for consumers. It feels like it is, but it really isn’t. How far does it go? How low is the bar going to be? Companies will make games that will work on the weakest console on the market, if everything has to be cross platform.
    Sony is different though because they actually help develop the games. If Sony didn't fund and support them the games wouldn't exist in the first place. Apple just provides the only platform to access the iphone market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Devs take a 30% hit and have no choice but to take it because they have nowhere else to go on this platform. iOS is a massive market. Competition (or anti-monopoly measures) will inevitably lower the 30% platform fee to stay competitive, thereby lowering how much the app costs for the consumer.

This is the exact same thing as the Steam vs Epic debate.
    Not really... because what ever company does start a marketplace, will also generate a fee. It might be lower than 30%, but can also be 29%. Where as self publishing, will increase the cost in a similar way.

It’s more like Windows store vs Steam...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Sony is different though because they actually help develop the games. If Sony didn't fund and support them the games wouldn't exist in the first place. Apple just provides the only platform to access the iphone market.
    Them helping is irrelevant. They are the only platform to access the PlayStation market. Then again, Amazon found a way around Apple fees, by having a web interface for their app purchases and only permitting wish lists on Comixology app.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    How is Apple monopolistic? It’s their platform, it’s not a monopoly. This is going to have huge licensing ramifications.
    The difference between iphones and consoles is that you can purchase items/games from other sources (amazon/best buy/wherever) than through sony's marketplace. Apple forces developers to go through their specific marketplace to sell apps to iphone users. Just because some apps are only available through sony's marketplace, doesn't mean that sony is forcing those developers to use their marketplace. Those developers could (if they wanted) release a disc-based version of the games that are only available through the playstation store. That's not the case for the app store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The difference between iphones and consoles is that you can purchase items/games from other sources (amazon/best buy/wherever) than through sony's marketplace. Apple forces developers to go through their specific marketplace to sell apps to iphone users. Just because some apps are only available through sony's marketplace, doesn't mean that sony is forcing those developers to use their marketplace. Those developers could (if they wanted) release a disc-based version of the games that are only available through the playstation store. That's not the case for the app store.
    This does open up an interesting question regarding disc-less versions of systems being developed. If the lawsuit is successful it would go a long way towards discouraging streaming and download only consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    This does open up an interesting question regarding disc-less versions of systems being developed. If the lawsuit is successful it would go a long way towards discouraging streaming and download only consoles.
    They could just allow you to download games from more than just the playstation store (like steam, gog, or epic) if they wanted to go to a streaming/download only platform. They're already moving away from the weird architectures like they had for the PS 2&3, so there's a much lower bar to entry there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I guess I got baited by CNN's headline and got excited Apple was getting fucked and went straight to mmochamp.

"iPhone owners can sue Apple over App Store monopoly" - That is the title.
    Do you even read what you're saying? I would laugh so hard in ur face if I heard you saying stuff like this IRL.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see Kavanaugh is paying off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Weird. It's "iPhone owners can sue Apple over monopolizing the App Store" for me. Which still doesn't imply that the SCOTUS found they were a monopoly. When that happens a company is penalized by the courts, it's not up to the consumers to sue them.

It does seem like this could affect things like the digital stores for consoles though.
    I don't think that it can since you can buy both physical discs for the game and can buy a digital code from other retailers while you can only get apps for Apple through the App store.
    Last edited by WintersLegion; 2019-05-14 at 06:05 AM.

Good on Kavanaugh. Although this is not a win yet, it is a step in the right direction. So many companies have monopolies and they can charge the customer whatever they want. Don't like our prices? go somewhere else... oh wait you cant? guess you gotta buy our $100 app that cost us 1 dollar to make.

This was basically apple's only realistic chance at defeating the suit though. They're definitely the only place to buy apps for apple phones (they hold a monopoly on the market). They definitely take a 30% cut. They definitely have told developers to raise their prices to compensate for apple's cut (damages from non-competitive market). It only takes the monopoly and damages caused by the monopoly to be in violation.
    Not sure I really agree. Apple only hold a 12% or so share in the global smartphone market (I think). So for purchasing apps for smart phones, Apple most definitely aren't a monopoly. I'm not convinced that being the sole provider for your own platform is considered a monopoly abuse, as customers are free to go elsewhere (by buying an android phone).

10+ Year Old Account
    So I know next to nothing about monopoly law apart from the broadest strokes.. is the gist of accusing Apple of establishing a monopoly that they fully control the hardware, the software, the app store, and many of the apps, as opposed to Android where those four elements are mixed around meaning one party doesn't control all?

kavanaugh a liberal now? Maybe its just beccause he hates tech companiies like tucker carlson because they ban right wing nut jobs. anyways good decision regardless of his motivations.
    Capitolist are against monopolies because they restrict free trade. Nothing surprising here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

kavanaugh a liberal now? Maybe its just beccause he hates tech companiies like tucker carlson because they ban right wing nut jobs. anyways good decision regardless of his motivations.
    I think you got that backwards. Look at Apple.

https://howmuch.net/articles/the-30-...he-fortune-500

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Not sure I really agree. Apple only hold a 12% or so share in the global smartphone market (I think). So for purchasing apps for smart phones, Apple most definitely aren't a monopoly. I'm not convinced that being the sole provider for your own platform is considered a monopoly abuse, as customers are free to go elsewhere (by buying an android phone).
    They're a monopoly for the iphone market. Once you have an iphone, you're captive to their monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    So I know next to nothing about monopoly law apart from the broadest strokes.. is the gist of accusing Apple of establishing a monopoly that they fully control the hardware, the software, the app store, and many of the apps, as opposed to Android where those four elements are mixed around meaning one party doesn't control all?
    That is correct. This would be the same if Microsoft decided to make it where you could only purchase any Windows software regardless of developer(games, professional, business, etc.) through the Windows store and not allow anyone to purchase from any other marketplace. If someone was able to buy iOS app codes at best buy, amazon or wherever, this wouldn't be an issue.

They're a monopoly for the iphone market. Once you have an iphone, you're captive to their monopoly.
    Same thing with a PSP Go, or a Blackberry, or any other number of products. Doesn't necessarily mean it's illegal.

Edit: I just looked at the price of Final Fantasy IV (to pick a random title) on iTunes... US$15 or NZ$26. Then I looked it up on the Google Play Store, which didn't tell me which currency it was using, but it was $28 which is more than iTunes either way. Proof that monopolies cause higher prices ?
    Last edited by Trifle; 2019-05-14 at 10:17 AM.

30% tax is where they fucked up. Christ that company is greedy, will never understand why people continue to support them.

Good. My brother makes apps and hes always pissy abt the 30% thing. He designs for both android and apple and it always irks him making less money per purchase on the apple one.

I agree with the supreme court on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    30% tax is where they fucked up. Christ that company is greedy, will never understand why people continue to support them.
    It's for the same reason people over pay for clothes and shoes. Higher quality items are indeed worth more money but there is a number where it goes from a reasonable amount to an ignorant one.