Professions in Classic

This has become the most disputed topic in my own mind. I really don't know what I want to do, and I'm not seeing too many topics on this. I'm hoping some discussion can influence my confidence in making the "right" decision for my own aspirations. Maybe it will help someone else out too.

I'm mostly torn between Herbalism/Alchemy or Mining/Engineering. I'm going to be a Rogue. My problem is I will either focus on PvE or PvP depending on what kind of friends I make or what kind of guild I end up in. I'm trying to stay open minded about my endgame options. I tend to enjoy PvP more, but my weekly obligations will probably make me more accustomed to PvE life.

Pros of Alchemy that I'm seeing:

***Can make my own health potions. The only other way Rogues can heal is First-Aid
    ***I'll be more useful to a raid guild
    ***I can farm my own materials to make Thistle Tea
    ***I'll still get decent utility in PvP via free action potions, element shields, swift potions, stealth detection, etc
    ***It's a good money maker

Pros of Engineering that I'm seeing:

***More DPS. Actually have a way to do AoE damage. This is great for PvE.
    ***Head equipment that is fantastic
    ***Amazing PvP utility like spell reflect, rocket boots, ranged damage, extra stuns, gap closer, etc.

I'm even actually considering Enchanting a little bit, as I could pick Herbalism too and have someone make me potions/elixirs. I could also still make my own Thistle Tea with this combination.

Here is where I'm conflicted. Engineering is obviously the PvP profession. I'm leaning towards engineering just because it might give me more DPS in PvE, too. The freedom of making my own potions and elixirs is a QoL benefit that's hard to ignore, though. I was initially going to pick Alchemy due to this, but now it seems like a bad decision. Thus my inner conflict ensues.

I'm also curious what professions people have decided on and why. As has been said before, the WoW community is full of better players now. If everyone just says "ENGINEERING" it may cement my choice that much more. Is engineering just that good?

You don't take engineering for "DPS". Throwing a grenade every minute is an absolutely minimal amount of extra damage, considering that even the strongest grenade in the game only does maximum 500 damage. You take engineering for all the gadgets like net, rocket boots, rocket helmet, death ray, etc. It's largely a PvP profession. But yes, if you do plan on PvPing regularly, Engineering is just a massive benefit, moreso than any other profession.

Enchanting is really not useful or good at making money unless you really dedicate yourself to getting lots of high level / raid recipes, and then standing in major cities for hours on end spamming "Enchanter LFW". It's also a really huge money sink until you can get above 200 skill or so, and start getting some good recipes.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-06-07 at 01:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since I'm rerolling my main, Enchanting & Tailoring. They synergize well together, and playing a Mage I can craft armor for myself that in many cases outshines drops, sometimes for quite a lot of levels. I don't care about gold making.

One thing I hope to see is the return of realm forums for Classic; back in the day, we had created lists on the forum of who had what enchants, or patterns, and so on. There might be less archaic ways of looking that up, but it was handy in 2006.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

I played Rogue in Vanilla with Herb / Alchemy - If you can't play outside of peakish hours I wouldn't bother, trying to farm mats is cancer unless you can play at 12-3am, or during the day.

Engineering is PvP only. Totaly useless in raids.

So if you gona go heavy PvP use engineering, if you gona raid use alchemy. Or take both and farm mats on an alt.

I was Herb/Alch in vanilla and i will be herb/alch again now on Classic. I just like the fact i dont need to be reliant on others for flasks and potions.

I wouldnt say Engineering is useless. You get a good tanking shield for Engineering that is good until you get the BWL Shield. Herb and Alch and get your hands of Flask of Titans recipe and your golden