View Poll Results: Re-releasing Classic on a schedule like “seasons” for the future?

Voters
135. This poll is closed
  • I like the idea

35 25.93%
  • I don’t like the idea

88 65.19%
  • I don’t know

12 8.89%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The future of Classic: "Seasons"

Hi,

So I see a lot of people debating what should come next after everything is released from the original game, like a TBC "classic" server or more content for Classic itself, I always thought the answer was obvious: Seasons.

Think like what they do currently for Diablo III, but WoW: Classic. After about 2 years and the progression of "patches" is over, they just restart. New servers where you can't transfer your lvl 60 from the previous season is started and everyone yet again has a level playing field for playing Classic.

Did you come into classic after the release of AQ 40 and wished you had started it like everyone else? Seasons.

Do you feel like you beat everything in the game and wish for a fresh start at something new? Seasons.

Why must we only allow Classic to be "released" just one more time? The "classic" experience is about the patches and everything else. It is true that the game would be boring after 4 years and it's been 2 years since the Naxx patch with nothing in sight for anything fresh.

Some want more content but with the Classic atmosphere, others would love to see TBC re-released like Classic.

Where as I don't think more content for Classic is needed, and TBC re-released would be fine and I'm sure a lot would like that, why not just do it all over again with Seasons?

I would definitely enjoy re-rolling another character in the future maybe a year or so after the release of Naxx on a fresh Classic realm where they restart it all like in a season atmosphere, but what do you think?

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting this. Very low developer cost for reasonable reward.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Nope, nope, nope. If Id be interested in starting fresh every now and then regularly I would play on private servers and not spend any money on sub.
    I am fine with it being with an ending, I can end up doing all those things on a different class/faction, but not all from 0 again.

Sorry but no, I'd rather see classic TBC and classic Wotlk (can't wait for the latter)

No the mmo genre is not so fast as diabo . And also people like me have a relation with wow avatar . I prefer if we finish the end game with one char to star gearing the other from begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Hi,

So I see a lot of people debating what should come next after everything is released from the original game, like a TBC "classic" server or more content for Classic itself, I always thought the answer was obvious: Seasons.

Think like what they do currently for Diablo III, but WoW: Classic. After about 2 years and the progression of "patches" is over, they just restart. New servers where you can't transfer your lvl 60 from the previous season is started and everyone yet again has a level playing field for playing Classic.

Did you come into classic after the release of AQ 40 and wished you had started it like everyone else? Seasons.

Do you feel like you beat everything in the game and wish for a fresh start at something new? Seasons.

Why must we only allow Classic to be "released" just one more time? The "classic" experience is about the patches and everything else. It is true that the game would be boring after 4 years and it's been 2 years since the Naxx patch with nothing in sight for anything fresh.

Some want more content but with the Classic atmosphere, others would love to see TBC re-released like Classic.

Where as I don't think more content for Classic is needed, and TBC re-released would be fine and I'm sure a lot would like that, why not just do it all over again with Seasons?

I would definitely enjoy re-rolling another character in the future maybe a year or so after the release of Naxx on a fresh Classic realm where they restart it all like in a season atmosphere, but what do you think?
    as long as they keep 1 "pure" no seasonal server i couldnt care less

and i think most of people will share my opinion .

because for a lot of us classic is like museum - we want to level gear and put each alt on a shelf.

not start everything over and over again .

Nah, keep that crap to ARPGs.

Sounds like crazy fun! Replaying same 15 years old game again and again... without anything new to it. Yup, I'm sure this will attract A LOT of players.

Damn this is so stupid that i felt i had to make an account to express my opinion on this lol... Why do you new people need something after everything is done ? go play retail if you dont like classic the way it is... this is not the reason i wanted classic for all those years, like someone said earlyer if i wanted to restart all the time i would play on a private server. The reason i havent played serious on private servers is cuz i dont want to lose my character and i want my progress to be permanent knowing that i can take a brake for 2 months 1 year or 3 years knowing my things are still there, and that they aint removed cuz the server was shut down or cuz of a stupid wipe just to have a system like Seasons. So like i said if you dont like classic feel free to play retail and let us classic fans have classic and stop talking/asking about whats next, sure tbc and wotlk might be nice, but in my personal opion that would just spread out the player population even more which is just a bad thing, but heck thats just my opinion.

Hi,

Not a chance in Hell.

Live is already a "season" mmorpg and it is a mess.

Classic need or Classic Content or No Content and the next step is TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see 3 futures which could all happen at the same time :

1 - they release a separate BC server and you can copy your character over. then they do this for each expansion (the last expansion being "live wow" obviously)

2 - they do like you say OP and they launch one new server every 2 years or so

3 - the classic realms are fixed, the community develop new past time, like for every single games ever, challenges...speedruns...completionism...pvp and dps rankings...frankly classic can go on forever on its own, there's enough content for a lifetime thanks to how hard it is to gear alts and factions

when you think about it, they can't really make a loss if they release 1 server per expansion, if they give players choice, basically they'll reach the highest possible % of paying players so, a bit of marketing every generation and they have an infinite cash machine
    Last edited by Cæli; 2019-05-28 at 05:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    but what do you think?
    Nothing should be 'next'.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nonsense idea in mmorpg game. Starting just new servers with fresh world is ok but old one should be still and no character transfers between old and new.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    EQ does it and has been for years.
    I'm sure Blizz will figure it out too.
    They will roll Vanilla/BC/Wrath, maybe Cata/MoP, then reset, do it all over again.

Seasons will be different expansions but sure

There's one overwhelming reason why seasons will most likely be a thing for Classic. Which is, that 1 year, maybe 2 down the line, there will be people like how we are now, that want to experience Vanilla in it's entirety, including the progression. I don't think Blizzard has any intention of this being a "one hit wonder", as in, if you miss Vanilla this time around, tough luck. If they need to include TBC and even WotLK (god forbid) in to this season, it will be an unreasonable amount of time, that the players who miss out on August 27th will have to wait to experience the next launch.

Path of Exile does seasons well. They have a dedicated server where everything from the seasonal servers are transferred to, when the current seasons cycles out of rotation. There's no reason WoW can't do the same.

Diablo3 seasons work, because you are back at max difficulty in the first 1-2 hours of season start.

And the whole seaon journey is great to keep everyone entertained to play for 1-2 days, finish season journey and maybe hit paragon 1000+ on the first weekend.

Its fun for the 1-2 days it takes to finish the journey and its a great fun to play with people I only play D3 with. But playing 1 session or 2 evenings only and be done with the journey each season is not that much of playtime.

But MMO play durations are pretty different, you are not "done" in 1-2 evenings, I don't really see seasons as an option for WoW.
    Last edited by Ange; 2019-05-28 at 01:40 PM.
    -

This won't be a thing on the main progression realms but they could do it on a specific separate from everyone else realm. They should put a diablo style hardcore mode in too for you guys so you have to start over when you wipe.

So just hop on every new private server?
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

I like the idea, but only if original servers aren't touched. It could be fun to relive the fresh experience a few years from now, but the idea of losing characters we've invested in is unacceptable. It's one of the biggest things that pserv players have complained about and will be glad is no longer happening, and it's one of the things that's prevented plenty of other players from trying pservs. So, sure, open NEW servers at phase 1, but don't touch current servers.

Likewise, with possible classic expansions, open NEW BC or Wrath servers, and allow people to copy their accounts to these servers. For lots of us, even the transfer to BC, as good as BC may have been, was the beginning of a downward swing. I preferred Classic to every other expansion, and frankly want to play in Classic for the rest of time. I don't want to be forced into BC again, but it would be cool to have the option to jump over there to play.

Tl;dr - Fresh is cool, as long as these are new servers, and not resets on existing ones. Future classic expansions are cool, as long as we can account copy to them, and not be forced to progress.