Poll: Do you believe a person can be psychic?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    No, I don't believe in any bullshit claims without some sort of verifiable evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I keep an open mind.
    A closed mind goes nowhere.

Obligatory video.

OP. No, it's absolute bullshit.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    That is just fundamentally untrue.
    is it? why have i always heard the "we only use 10% of our brain" comment? i mean i don't care either way, i'm pretty good at the second part of my original statement so i don't need magical powers.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don’t think anyone is 100% sure if there is or isn’t spirits/an afterlife. There’s always that uncertainty, even it’s very small, because no one alive really knows what happens after we die.
    There are some who have died ( clinically proven to have, flat lined, pronounced dead, etc. ) and came back and seem to be pretty convinced they know. But you are right to the point, they can not prove it. Personal experiences has a powerful effect on our beliefs and no amount of disagreeing with them, is going to change it or convince those who have not experienced it, to accept it as real.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    is it? why have i always heard the "we only use 10% of our brain" comment? i mean i don't care either way, i'm pretty good at the second part of my original statement so i don't need magical powers.
    It's a myth, we generally only use a small percentage of our brain at any given time e.g. problem solving section/verbal skills/motor skills section, which are all fairly small. Over the course of even a standard day we'd use close to the entire thing. IFLS did a debunker article on it a little while ago with some citations, I can dig it up if you'd like to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    It's a myth, we generally only use a small percentage of our brain at any given time e.g. problem solving section/verbal skills/motor skills section, which are all fairly small. Over the course of even a standard day we'd use close to the entire thing. IFLS did a debunker article on it a little while ago with some citations, I can dig it up if you'd like to know more.
    no need, i'll check it out. thanks
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Oh wow. What was it like when you were clinically dead and then came back to life? Your evidence will surely be compelling.....
    A tunnel, white light and yellow unicorns! What did you expect?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We don’t know. We have no proof nothing exists, just as we have no proof something does.

It’s up for you to decide.
    We're a biological machine. You are your brain, not some magical ghost. If that biological machine shuts down, so do you. Your brain doesn't float away when you die, and we can absolutely prove that the "self" is part of the brain.

I get that people want to believe in magic. I wish magic was real too, but its simply not representative of the reality we inhabit. The human perception is also flawed, and our brains misinterprets events as being supernatural, when in reality, your subconscious is just playing tricks on you based on fears and doubts. This is why when tested, every psychic person fails the test, besides believing themselves that they have powers. If someone had provable magic power, they'd rule the world. Instead they're rightfully mocked for their attempts at tricking people into paying them to give generic guesses at peoples futures.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    My late mother had a few moments in her time.

She had mental health problems including psychosis/voices in her head etc, these voices were telling her things she couldn't possibly know, things like my fathers red car would set on fire...it did days later, predicted her sisters kids birth dates to the day and hour... 3 times over and what sex they were, She was talking to a lifeguard with a prosthetic leg and told him how he lost his leg... he was shocked and scared started crying, she randomly told my grans friend to get his heart checked... he ignored her a week later dropped from heart attack.
    I'm sure there's more too but they were a few of the more memorable moments that I myself had witnessed...I still can't explain it to this day, no one can.
    Coincidence? I highly doubt it but it's interesting to say the least. I don't believe in spirits and all that guff but I believe some people can have some kind of gift/curse w/e.

It's an illusion designed to trick gullible people.

Drugs were a HUUUUUGE part of history though, many of which change your perception of reality.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm a psychic.

I've seen the future, and this thread gets worse with each post.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You assume I give a damn what you believe or what you know I believe. I don't and I don't owe you shit lol

You don't know anymore than I do is and always has been my only point
    Sure. Watch that video someone posted in this thread, maybe you’ll learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Or maybe you can understand what I am saying. You are the one being closed minded here.

Believe whatever the hell you please I don't care, but the fact remains you don't truly know. You believe. There in lies the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm here to help you with your prophecy <3
    You really didn’t watch it, did you? Wanting evidence is exactly the opposite of believing. Still thinking there is something after death in spite of all the research done and no evidence found, that is believing. But hey, you do you, I’m not the one having to live with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    No, you won't go far with an open gullable mind. You will get scammed that's what. An open mind is an assertive mind that allows new hypothisis to be presented, but does not validate them without scientific proof. It does not simply stop at accepting the hypothisis. Everything is possible, but only what is proven is reality.
    Your version of an "open mind" would deny paradigm shifts among other things.
    True scientific breakthroughs always break the rules.

The real deal has nothing to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    It's not just about precognition. I fully believe telepathy is perfectly scientifically valid, even if nobody is currently capable of it. If you insist that telepathy is impossible, then you need to throw your iPhone away because it is impossible too.
    I am trying really hard to understand what goes on in that head of yours to think you have any sort of argument here.

So, do you call someone in your phone and telepathicly talk to them or something? Or do you speak? Can you try to think how telepathy can physically exist? Is it a radio wave? Your brain does not emit radiation. So, how do you gonna go reading other peoples thoughts or moving objects? Are they emiting radio waves you are tuning into without actually emiting them? Your toughts are electro signals between neurons. How do you propose to detect them into another mind, taking into account theres millions of them? How do you translate them into language even if you do? Magic?
    Belief is just another word for gullability. Science is not gullable. It requires proof, it requires method. Give me proof, not beliefs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Your version of an "open mind" would deny paradigm shifts among other things.
    True scientific breakthroughs always break the rules.

The real deal has nothing to prove.
    I don't think you know what science is.

Here, quick google:

science
    noun
    the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

If you can not prove it through experiment, it's not scientific. Paradigm shift that.

No, because the simple idea of claiming to be able to "predict the future" completely undermines the concept of free will.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post

Obligatory video.

OP. No, it's absolute bullshit.
    Really good video. Everyone who voted yes should urgently watch it.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-05-22 at 03:24 PM.

Definitely! I can also go Super Saiyan.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    You must not believe in evolution then. Supposedly we got from a random soup of chemicals to bipedal beings capable of discussions on internet forums. You say our brains do not emit or receive radio waves. Well, if you believe in evolution, we didn't start out even having brains at all. As far as radio waves, that's not the only means of long-distance communication. The more we learn about quantum physics, the more interesting things scientists discover about how our consciousness works. The scientists trying to understand and explain the nature of conscious thought can't explain it just by the electrical signals between neurons. They've found there may be much more complex quantum interactions between our neurons and..."something" they don't yet understand.

The fact that you missed the entire point of the iPhone comment just shows how simple-minded you are. You used the word "magic" which also shows how naive you are. What we can do with technology now would be considered magic by people from even a few hundred years ago. There is nothing special about our bodies compared to the physical matter in our technology. The things we can do with inorganic matter can also be done with organic matter.

The point is that telepathy is possible, even if we don't understand it or currently have the capability for it.
    No point in trying to argue with them. I said the exact same thing in different words a bit back. We understand very little about the human brain. We understand how it works, but not why it works like it does. For example, we do not know why the human brain has the capacity to reroute functions due to brain damage. We do not know why people turn out to be autistic (speaking as someone who only found out I was autistic last year). The human brain is capable of far more than we know at this present time.

I personally believe the education system is at fault. It's old and archaic, not fit for purpose in our times. I remember being taken into "special education classes" to help me learn. Back then there was no autism, you were a spastic. I had sound tests done to check if I had hearing issues, and they found nothing, I was treated as being less intelligent than my peers, and when I reached secondary school (around 12) they found out I wasn't stupid, I was bored. Once they started giving me more advanced work, I started to show what I was capable of. The whole time I was just bored as the work didn't interest me as it was below where I should have been.
    They have changed this now slightly. My niece for example is in primary 2, yet does primary 3 work. I just feel the whole education system need to change from being based upon a factory line to allow creativity, while still teaching basics of maths etc.