5+ Year Old Account

Naxxramas floating above EPL

My friend is insistent that Naxxramas was always floating above the Eastern Plaguelands, long before it became accessible as a raid. I remember differently. I'm pretty sure it was added only with the patch that opened up the raid, before there was no floating necropolis above the land.

Who's right?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    My friend is insistent that Naxxramas was always floating above the Eastern Plaguelands, long before it became accessible as a raid. I remember differently. I'm pretty sure it was added only with the patch that opened up the raid, before there was no floating necropolis above the land.

Who's right?
    *Edit* Misread your post, sorry. *Edit*

As others have said, i don't believe it was around until the original Scourge Invasions.
    Last edited by grandgato; 2019-05-21 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Who's right?
    I believe you are correct. IIRC the original portal to enter Naxx was supposed to be after the locked gate in Stratholme (after Baron Rivendare) but the idea was scrapped and they added the Necropolis and teleporting platform once Naxx was actually out.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Yeah I think you're right too, OP. I definitely don't remember seeing Naxx there before it was introduced as a raid / scourge invasion event.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    I believe you are correct. IIRC the original portal to enter Naxx was supposed to be after the locked gate in Stratholme (after Baron Rivendare) but the idea was scrapped and they added the Necropolis and teleporting platform once Naxx was actually out.
    This makes sense to me what with MC and BWL having their instance portals inside dungeons, though you had other means of entry too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, if one gets past the dungeon portal and invisible walls, you can explore Stratholme and find a small, untextured Naxxramas behind a raid portal at the end of the Undead Side, behind the portcullis where you're zerged by undead between Rammstein and Rivendare's fights. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the original plan and it just got abandoned due to a shift in design philosophy before t3 was ready.

On-topic: It was put in afterwards, though because Classic is a modified 1.12 it might be there from the start. We'll find out once people hit 50-60 in beta or some brave, foolish undead manages to corpse run all the way to EPL and find out.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I think it was added there during the event of the scourge invasion when necropol attacked different zones.
    But not sure
    Last edited by Tarba; 2019-05-21 at 02:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Aye, if one gets past the dungeon portal and invisible walls, you can explore Stratholme and find a small, untextured Naxxramas behind a raid portal at the end of the Undead Side, behind the portcullis where you're zerged by undead between Rammstein and Rivendare's fights. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the original plan and it just got abandoned due to a shift in design philosophy before t3 was ready.

On-topic: It was put in afterwards, though because Classic is a modified 1.12 it might be there from the start. We'll find out once people hit 50-60 in beta or some brave, foolish undead manages to corpse run all the way to EPL and find out.
    Did someone say make a 200 lvl 1 mob ball to EPL?
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

I'll start building that guild now.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were in beta I'd be that fool myself, so by all means!
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I'm just going by memory here (and I didn't play on private servers, so my memories of Classic are something like 12-13 years old at this point), but I don't remember seeing Naxx floating there until much later down the road. And I would've definitely noticed it when I was questing in EPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post

They had Naxx planned before WoW even released, but realised that having 40 people run through instances to get to the raid was rather stupid, and had eventually put a player cap on 5mans that made it impossible anyway. That's why you got these short quests to "attune" to MC and BWL, and why the "normal" entrance to MC is a random window.

10+ Year Old Account

Who's right?
    Like others, I don't remember seeing that bloody necropolis floating above Plaguewood (?). But 13 years is a lot to remember that stuff.
    I just know where the entrance was!
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

Naxx was in a diff position, I feel? Idk, my memory is hazy. I feel like the plagued areas near LHC was where it originally was, and then moved north west when the raid came out. But i may be mixing up the citadels with the starting DK area.

Here's Joana levelling in Eastern Plaguelands during patch 1.9.2, and zapping around a bit in the vid I don't really see any floating necropolis - but then again, we don't really see much of the sky.