Sports Gambling - It's Ups and Downs

What better place to open the air on my woes than the internet (also off topic seems better than sports section as it's more of the discussion of the game):

This practice has become scary imo, not in the hole a lot and have a job which keeps this a minimum issue, but the reckless bets made and duration it takes to lose it all is indeed frightening. But then again winning consecutively on ridiculous bets keeps you not only wanting more but a reason to believe it should happen again, those nights are just wonderful until they turn sour.

Don't need a lecture about what I should do since the answer is obvious, but anyone else from this community getting train wreaked from this recent approval of online sports gambling (within the state that just approved in last year or so)? Some days have been such a roller coaster I ask why I even started in the first place to get no where or only marginally better than the previous day. I reckon it's the freedom and hope of it happening once more that keeps me coming back.

I gamble on sports every now & then

I only put $10 to $20 out on a multi which is backing 2 or more teams to win.

I like betting on NFL.. Soccer incl MLS games from the USA & NRL in Aussie

Today I made $40 by doing a MLB Baseball bet multi off : Atlanta Braves to win, Texas Rangers to win & Dodgers to win..

Only put $8 out to win $40

Sports gambling can be addictive..

And as I say..

Only Gamble what you can Afford to Loose
    Last edited by Blobfish; 2019-05-16 at 10:16 AM.

I've only ever gambled on Super Bowl boxes.

Although on Saturday I plan to go to an OTB to bet on a horse for the Preakness. (Horse racing.)

I only gamble on sports for "championship" level events. Usually just with buddies a work. So the times I do gamble are few and far between and mostly just a friendly way of controlling banter talk by people putting thier money where their mouth is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    What better place to open the air on my woes than the internet (also off topic seems better than sports section as it's more of the discussion of the game):

This practice has become scary imo, not in the hole a lot and have a job which keeps this a minimum issue, but the reckless bets made and duration it takes to lose it all is indeed frightening. But then again winning consecutively on ridiculous bets keeps you not only wanting more but a reason to believe it should happen again, those nights are just wonderful until they turn sour.

Don't need a lecture about what I should do since the answer is obvious, but anyone else from this community getting train wreaked from this recent approval of online sports gambling (within the state that just approved in last year or so)? Some days have been such a roller coaster I ask why I even started in the first place to get no where or only marginally better than the previous day. I reckon it's the freedom and hope of it happening once more that keeps me coming back.
    I'm wholly against our state having online sports betting, or any legalized/advertised/promoted gambling. We have a money problem in the state, people are having a harder and harder time paying their property taxes, and home ownership has been on a steady decline for years. The last thing we need to do is promote people to take more risks with their money. It's easy to say, 'well just don't gamble if you can't afford the risk', but it is an attractive and addictive activity that some people simply can't say no to.

I'm not a fan at all.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
    I gamble on sports every now & then

I only put $10 to $20 out on a multi which is backing 2 or more teams to win.

I like betting on NFL.. Soccer incl MLS games from the USA & NRL in Aussie

Today I made $40 by doing a MLB Baseball bet multi off : Atlanta Braves to win, Texas Rangers to win & Dodgers to win..

Only put $8 out to win $40

Sports gambling can be addictive..

And as I say..

Only Gamble what you can Afford to Loose
    Good advise for anyone in the last statement, I do have wiggle room so not the worst thing in the world. Anyway baseball is always tough, and being a Yankees fan the payout always isn't worth it via money line, hence the exaggerated run line option that is more unlikely with every .5 compared to averages. Hit a 4 money line parley in afternoon MLB games earlier this month, just wish the bet was more than 20, since the payout odds were +1k or more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'm wholly against our state having online sports betting, or any legalized/advertised/promoted gambling. We have a money problem in the state, people are having a harder and harder time paying their property taxes, and home ownership has been on a steady decline for years. The last thing we need to do is promote people to take more risks with their money. It's easy to say, 'well just don't gamble if you can't afford the risk', but it is an attractive and addictive activity that some people simply can't say no to.

I'm not a fan at all.
    What state, NJ too?

Can not wait till NFL starts

Backing Baltimore Ravens all the way..

Lamar Jackson QB/ Running Back

Mark Ingram ex New Orleans Saints now Ravens

Best Defense Team in NFL … the RAVENS..

BALTIMORE here We COME

I ended up betting $5 on a horse that came in 2nd. If he was 1st I'd have won $125. (That was my only bet.)

I hated the feeling of gambling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good advise for anyone in the last statement, I do have wiggle room so not the worst thing in the world. Anyway baseball is always tough, and being a Yankees fan the payout always isn't worth it via money line, hence the exaggerated run line option that is more unlikely with every .5 compared to averages. Hit a 4 money line parley in afternoon MLB games earlier this month, just wish the bet was more than 20, since the payout odds were +1k or more.

- - - Updated - - -

What state, NJ too?
    Yeah. Born and raised. I was very surprised when we legalized it

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
    Can not wait till NFL starts

Backing Baltimore Ravens all the way..

Lamar Jackson QB/ Running Back

Mark Ingram ex New Orleans Saints now Ravens

Best Defense Team in NFL … the RAVENS..

BALTIMORE here We COME

Funny coincidence I did bet on that super bowl (just with a friend, winner takes the wager) with ravens vs san fran and got worried with that blackout almost lost the lead, but held on to my liking.

Lamar is good, I'm just not sold on a better sophomore year (just too many duds to franchise qbs to take the downward bet). As a jets fan you can understand the pessimistic attitude...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I ended up betting $5 on a horse that came in 2nd. If he was 1st I'd have won $125. (That was my only bet.)

I hated the feeling of gambling.
    Didn't bet on the Kentucky...can you imagine someone getting fucked over in the thousands or hundred thousands cuz that horse got disqualified, shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Yeah. Born and raised. I was very surprised when we legalized it
    Not surprised (with our state), but I do agree with someone's ability to choose for themselves...but then again it buries more people that it does uplift. Blessing and a curse.

It's not just hope that keeps you going, you fucked up your brain chemistry; your ill, mentally. You could get help but unless your problem makes you very unhappy and yiu can still afford your basics you just keep on keeping on.

Anyways, one rich guy once said something along the lines "the best thing about life is winning, the second best thing is losing" he was a very happy gambler who lost billions.

I think sports betting should be limited or capped so people can't waste away their life savings and get addicted

Or just play matched betting, use the bugs, fucked up multipliers and so on. You cant win with "luck".

10+ Year Old Account
    Not surprised (with our state), but I do agree with someone's ability to choose for themselves...but then again it buries more people that it does uplift. Blessing and a curse.
    Totally agreed. Some are mature enough to have restraint, others not so much.

guys I just won 4k off a 200 bet det and I'm clear of my deeds this is why its's scary and fun at the same time..../