Poll: Would you ever disown a family member?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever or would you ever disown a family member?

Yes, basically anyone who is basically being a abusive and choosing to be a criminal.

Is there anything you would disown a family member for?

Yep voting for Trump, no joke, I am not in contact with any family that voted for Trump or at least has ever said so or talked about it, but if they had they'd be disowned.

And no wouldn't tolerate racist, sexist or homophobic people around me on a personal level, nor abusive, or criminal. I do recognize people fall on hard times but some choices are not nearly as difficult as others.

Unless someones criminal behavior in the past literally involved something where it was there survival and the law, I can look past it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

5+ Year Old Account
    Cutting them for their voting choices is a little silly, to use Winter's term, but to each their own.

I've maintained very minimal contact with my father for the past 14 years; occasional holiday texts or major events aside, we have fairly little to do with one another. I'd describe the relationship currently as at least amicable, albeit certainly distant, but there was a long stretch of time where it was just complete radio silence.

No, but there are extreme situations and outcomes that could make it a yes. It is not as simple as yes or no.

My wife's extended family is incredibly toxic and in each others shit way too much, and we are distancing ourselves from them because it creates headaches and stresses that I should not have to deal with and neither should she.

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Yes, basically anyone who is basically being a abusive and choosing to be a criminal.

Is there anything you would disown a family member for?

Yep voting for Trump, no joke, I am not in contact with any family that voted for Trump or at least has ever said so or talked about it, but if they had they'd be disowned.

And no wouldn't tolerate racist, sexist or homophobic people around me on a personal level, nor abusive, or criminal. I do recognize people fall on hard times but some choices are not nearly as difficult as others.

Unless someones criminal behavior in the past literally involved something where it was there survival and the law, I can look past it.

Another masked Trump derangement Syndrome thread from you.

Do you even have anything of worth to pass on to threaten someone to be disowned from in the first place? LOL
    Last edited by Donatello Trumpi; 2019-05-29 at 06:26 PM.

The left, such as the OP, are ever the vindictive lot I see. Americans disowning family members simply due to political choice is downright pathetic... and there's countless examples of it since Trump's presidency.

I would drop all contact with a family member if they were a violent criminal, or a rapist.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-05-29 at 06:31 PM.

Walked away from my brother in '83, haven't seen him since. (It was either leave or pull his fingernails out with some pliers, which probably would have caused even more family drama.)

5+ Year Old Account
    Yes. If their life style or behavior is harmful to themselves/those around them, I'd rather have nothing to do with them.

Edit: As for politics, it depends on who and what we're talking about/how directly it relates to a social issue. I already talk to less of my family because they cry about discrimination while discriminating against homosexuals. I don't need that stupidity in my life, but I still occasionally talk with them to avoid family drama. We all have that one family member we have to 'make nice with' for the sake of familial harmony.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-05-29 at 06:35 PM.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

In an extreme situation, yes, but I voted no because odds are low. I also am only considering my immediate family. Someone beyond sister/brother/mother/father I would be more likely to disown, but as mentioned it would have to be a very serious issue to actually "disown" a family member.

i've no reason to... and any imaginary reason idk doesn't feel worth pondering.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Mechagnome
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yes but it would be a very drastic event such as harm against another family member either physically or financially. Something ridiculous like a difference in political spectrum hell no thats just psychotic.

XD disowning someone for their voting choice seems hardcore, i mean if you dislike it just dont talk politics around them. Now if say my kid molested and raped or murdered someone? Definately

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    If I had a libtard child, I would respect its ideological grandstanding by donating its heritage to a charity.
    This is much better than fueling the evil flames of nepotism and would perfectly align with liberal morals.

Yes, if it was something harmful. I haven't had to deal with anything like this, but say a family member stole from me to buy drugs, or was physically/emotionally abusive etc, I'd disown them. It would have to be something harmful to themselves and/or others.

If he were literally Hitler.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only would I... I all ready have. The entirety of my Dad's side (himself included) has been disowned by me.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

"disown" implies some kind of dramatic declaration, which strikes me as boorish and pointless.

i have like a dozen aunts and uncles and 40-something cousins that i haven't spoken in 20 years because i simply don't give a diseased yak's testicle about any of them, if that counts as disowning.
    Last edited by Malkiah; 2019-05-29 at 08:31 PM.

Well yes depending on the actions committed.

If a relative is an actual rapist or murderer, that's not someone I'm going to support and I would not want my children around them.

Already have.

'Blood' doesn't really mean much. That said, there are significant reasons, and there's the absurd nonsense of a reason that OP mentioned - "voting for trump". That's just asinine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disowning a family member for voting for one of the main candidates? That is some serious TDS right there. You know both Hillary and Trump where bad choices right? I bet you are the toxic one to be around if it bothers you to that degree.

EDIT: If Trump declared himself dictator and usurped the presidency then yes I would disown any family members who still supported him.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2019-05-29 at 08:23 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually get along with all of my family members very well. None of us are petty and will disown someone based on an opinion.
    I voted no, cause I never would unless it was something very extreme legally, safety or economically.