Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

10+ Year Old Account
    i used the shapeshift power of the preorder mask. how the heck do i turn it off? lol i know it saz lasts until long rest but id like to be able to turn it off
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Magic Missile is awesome for Ethel. Also, the second time she splits the real body isn't actually among the copies and is instead invisible. Which kinda gets ruined by her cackling and the dialogue appearing above her real position.

Also, I'm not 100% sure if that's the trigger or if it's something else, but if my deduction is correct if you nearly kill her in the very first round she will try to surrender and give you +1 ASI item for one character. If you pass a check you can even convince her to give you both that and leave the girl she was keeping.
    speaking of seeing invisible units I recommend people let Volo have a crack at removing the parasite with a pick. Hard scene to watch but get a nice buff from it.

5+ Year Old Account
    That game is absolutely insane. Initially, I was so irritated by how bad the combat was, but as I progressed and obtained better equipment, everything sped up. Currently sitting in the camp, some damned scientist bard is attempting to pluck out my eye. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am getting used to how extremely obvious and over the top all the origins are but I still wonder if the game would be better if they were all a bit more normal. The fact that the githyanki is probably the most normal of the bunch is saying something.

- - - Updated - - -

They are pulling no punches.
    Yeah, Gale was the worst for me. Right, so you're a wizard prodigy, who fucked the literal goddess of magic like it was nothing, and you have a heart condition that makes you have to absorb magic items or a nuke goes off? And that's before all the tadpole shenanigans? Nice level 1 character you got going there Larian. And I thought OS2 was over the top with its special lizard prince with a destiny or thousand years old undead chap.

Best thing is that Karlach has a very similar origin, just replace fucking the goddess with being the reluctant right-hand woman of a prominent archdevil (level 1 tho). Thankfully she actually has a personality at least. And so far Shadowheart isn't too bad in the protagonist syndrome department as well but that may change, I'm only level 5.

As for casters being bad, I dunno, Slowing an entire battlefield is damn strong, Fireball is a tide-turning nuke in some situations and Sorcerer can make Magic Missile into 50+ guaranteed damage a turn a couple times per rest from downtown with just a lightning charge staff.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    44 hours on the first playthrough save in and I did not even enter Moonrise Towers. Game is yuge. At this rate I bet it will be like 60-70 hours before I even get to the actual Baldur's Gate.

Oh, right, Moonrise Towers are after act I. Well, I'm currently busy fucking around the Zhentarim hideout. Farewell Olly, you were beaten to death by your own comrades thanks to me stealing the Beholder in a can you were transporting for no apparent reason. Your sacrifice will not be in vain as I can now pokeball it out to battle another Beholder for me or some other stupid shit like that. And now I killed everyone in the back of their outpost and stole all their stuff just so I could immediately sell it back to the Zhentarim's trader.

The best part is that I didn't even really need to kill them as I managed to sneak both my PC and Astarion to their treasure rooms already. Alas, they made the mistake of being made of XP. Though I spent way too much time waiting for the two patrolling dudes to align so I could at the same time send one to the bottom of the chasm by destroying the bridge and trap the other one by making floor collapse under him by destroying the support beams.

Still have the Goblin outpost and the entire Underdark left to do. And the Gith patrol. And the Tieflings. Since I already killed one thanks to the Dark Urge, I can just as well follow through and grab Minthara.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2023-08-07 at 01:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I think the complaints about spellcasters probably comes from the early game, where simultaneously spellcasters are 90% cantrip and the game somewhat makes out like resting is a sparse resource (like, the characters saying should we really be resting, that sort of thing).

Once you realise there are literally endless rest supplies and functionally no opportunity cost casters feel much better, as well as a few levels.

I dunno what I'm gonna do on subsequent playthroughs now I'm used to warlock.. a freaking cantrip with massive range, good damage, and near guaranteed knock back is just insane to me. Half my fights start with knocking the first target into oblivion for free.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2023-08-07 at 02:46 AM.

I think I made a mistake.

I started with one of those origin characters. I was thinking I'd get a better story with one of those since custom character wouldn't have one tied to them. Yet, now it seems to me that, I'm just taking over one of those origin characters and not really letting the character play out how they should. You do get inspiration points, if you act like the character should, but I find myself liking more the interactions of the origin characters that are not the one I picked. They have voice lines and all that.

For the next character I will already know the general storyline, even if can adjust it a bit with different choices.

Do you believe this is the case? Did I make a mistake for the first run?

OK first big annoyance. I'm at the huge temple of Shar in the Underdark and after clearing the place and scouring every nook and cranny I could find, what eluded me is how to get to the bottom section, which is I assume the companion quest for Shadowheart. It seemed like there should have been a way to get there and the journal even says there's another way in so I spent more than half an hour trying to jump/teleport there (Lae'zel with triple jump distance potion is funny lol) but no dice. I got frustrated and looked it up, lo and behold that place is closed until Act 2. That's just annoying. Tell me I can't go there yet instead of leading me astray like that.

At least I got neat gear out of the forge. Didn't any fancy-pancy Forge Hammer to kill the golem when I got Lae'zel with a powerful bludgeoning weapon who obliterated it in two rounds with all the buffs I could cram on her and a potion of speed. I like that she let out a battlecry afterwards. Well deserved loot after that one, girl.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Laezel with jump boots, enhance leap from wiz and her psy buff to jump for 10 turns is nutttty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    I think the complaints about spellcasters probably comes from the early game, where simultaneously spellcasters are 90% cantrip and the game somewhat makes out like resting is a sparse resource (like, the characters saying should we really be resting, that sort of thing).

Once you realise there are literally endless rest supplies and functionally no opportunity cost casters feel much better, as well as a few levels.

I dunno what I'm gonna do on subsequent playthroughs now I'm used to warlock.. a freaking cantrip with massive range, good damage, and near guaranteed knock back is just insane to me. Half my fights start with knocking the first target into oblivion for free.
    The problem with casters is that they don't really scale much on their single target nukes.

For example you say Eldritch Blast, but then martials have:

and this one is a small AoE btw. It is a save unlike Eldritch Blast, but my character can literally do 5 of these in a row turn one and you can steal pretty much unlimited supply of these and many other arrows, that can explode, put buffs/debuffs up and much more you get later.

Then in between

or Dread Ambush or forcing automatic Critical Hits or even just simply doing plainest of plain attack:

Eldritch Blast is not even close there. That's why I say casters are great, but squarely because their CC can take 2-3 things out of fight very fast by controlling targets and letting martials shred them even harder -or- for an odd good AoE opportunity like Act 2 exploding bois.

But for taking out priority target? Take the above boi and she will roll upwards to ~200 damage on a target before it even has chance to act in one turn. And melee can go even harder, btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    So most hillarious thing happened. Im in start of Act 2, and my wild magic hits right as i kill last enemy which results in me wild shaping everytone, including myself. I then talk to Gale and we have a heart to heart as a cat and a dog. Im gonna restart but that was funny as hell.

1+ Year Old Account
    So...I had no idea you can rob the vendors blind.

I just got geared to the teeth for absolutely free by using Astarion to pickpocket the 2 vendors in the druid grove. Takes a while cause you can only take 1 item at a time, and then you have to run away some distance cause the vendor will start investigating, but you can literally take whatever the hell you want, including all the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Goddamn these boss fights, first spider and now Auntie!
    Spooder fight was really easy fall damage hurts, bait her on the webs and destroy them. Think she took 57 fall damage on one of them

For me the craziest fight so far was Grym. I have no idea how that can be done without savescumming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    So...I had no idea you can rob the vendors blind.

I just got geared to the teeth for absolutely free by using Astarion to pickpocket the 2 vendors in the druid grove. Takes a while cause you can only take 1 item at a time, and then you have to run away some distance cause the vendor will start investigating, but you can literally take whatever the hell you want, including all the gold.
    The truly admirable part of BG3 is that it is clear that Larian really did got for the design "How can we let players do that" instead of "Here is a list of things you cannot do". Often to comical effect. Smokepowder barrels can pretty much solo the early game for you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The truly admirable part of BG3 is that it is clear that Larian really did got for the design "How can we let players do that" instead of "Here is a list of things you cannot do". Often to comical effect. Smokepowder barrels can pretty much solo the early game for you.
    Deathfog barrels could solo entire game in OS2 speedruns.

I should do a long rest now, but I'm low key scared, cuz tieflings want to celebrate and I play Dark Urge.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2023-08-07 at 07:24 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Every time I have my group move longer distances without micromanaging, I get that scene from the Office were they all scream "Parkour" as my group jumps up and down roofs trying to get to a point when there is a paved road in between

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    Spooder fight was really easy fall damage hurts, bait her on the webs and destroy them. Think she took 57 fall damage on one of them
    Even more pro-ier tip.... Fall damage hurts, throw her down the hole! Instant kill.. But what about loot? No worries, you'll loot her in the Underdark when you get there! Or just feather fall down the hole into the underdark your self

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Even more pro-ier tip.... Fall damage hurts, throw her down the hole! Instant kill.. But what about loot? No worries, you'll loot her in the Underdark when you get there! Or just feather fall down the hole into the underdark your self
    I think I had her take fall damage twice in one fight. First I opened by burning the web she was standing on and then when she ported to us I thunderwaved her off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, Laezel and Shart stories become a ton better. Shadowheart in Act 2 is a treat.