Thread: Ganking

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Depends entirely on someones definition of ganking. Personally, i think ganking is any form of pvp where one player initiates while having a strong advantage - 2v1, other player is in combat with a mob, other players has low hp, other player is lower level, ganker is on a twink and geared through the teeth

By using that definition, all world pvp is ganking. I have always maintained that the absolute only gameplay reason for rolling on a pvp realm Vs pve realm is to allow you to engage another player in pvp when they would normally not have wanted that. Now, there might be other social reasons, like your friends already rolling on that realm, or a guild you want to join, so there is always exceptions to every rule, but for the average player, that is their motivation.

That is why i have always found it amusing when someone cries about being ganked or camped - when the only reason to roll on a pvp server is to gank.......someones gotta be on the receiving end of that.

I remember many occasion in STV, but one in particular where an alliance character 10 lvls too high to be there started complaining he was being camped by a lvl 60. Long story short, there was a fight between two lvl 30 somethings over one of the quest mobs, the horde won and got the tag and kill. Alliance player logged to his "main" which was high 40s or similar, and went back and ganked the horde. Horde swapped to his 60 and camped the guy for 15 minutes until he started crying. We only found this out because of a friend with 2 accounts who asked the player straight up.

I have great and terrible memories of the arms race that would begin when someone got ganked.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2019-06-18 at 10:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will charge into anyone on my sight. Though I'll be protection specced, so probably pretty harmless, but I still gonna sunder your armor!

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Also will depend on how often WSG pops during leveling. PvP minded players will want to hit 60 at the max honor rank possible (6? 8?) and if they see that the only way to do so is ganking it will happen.
    WSG will not be available while leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll fight people as I come by them, not going to stand around camping them or join hunting parties. I don't want distractions like that while leveling to 60.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Depend on the situation. Going to play PvP server for a thrill of mass world pvp, but ganking? It's not as much fun as when i was in early 20s during late vanilla/bc. Now it's just meh. Will engage if attacked, or help out fellow horde, but doubt I will run around killing people on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was originally gonna play a shaman, but me and a friend decided to create 2 rogues instead so yes there Will definitely be ganking
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

I don't understand why people bitch and whine about 60s ganking lowbies, it's just a game, and people are totally allowed to gank/camp lowbies.

I never PvP. Too many griefers...

The worst zone ever is Hillbrand Hills for Horde. The quest I am speaking of is "Battle of Hillsbrand" chain quest. So if people are familiar its the one of the first zones to pvp in and the npc's are aligned with Alliance players. So you have people pumped for pvp and use these npc's as shields and ganking while you quest.

The worst is Foreman Bonds in the mines and of course Captain Ironhill in the dwarf fortress where they are all elites and in both places ally players will stay in there and make these quests almost impossible.

Maybe doesn't belong on this thread, but one of the places I hate for getting so called ganked.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

It really wasn't as common as people seem to think. Back in true Vanilla most people were busy with their lives. They were questing, there was really only a small handful of the "red is dead" morons around. And even smaller amount of gankers. Most people if they got ganked twice would just log out and do something else.

World PvP is stupid really and I won't be playing on pvp servers at all. Most people here who say they love it and will don't remember the corpse run to just enter BRD.

Quote Originally Posted by heartless8604 View Post
    It really wasn't as common as people seem to think. Back in true Vanilla most people were busy with their lives. They were questing, there was really only a small handful of the "red is dead" morons around. And even smaller amount of gankers. Most people if they got ganked twice would just log out and do something else.

World PvP is stupid really and I won't be playing on pvp servers at all. Most people here who say they love it and will don't remember the corpse run to just enter BRD.
    So much this. Also, as someone who played on both pvp and pve servers I would say that lowbie ganking is more common on a pve server. Ger out of a BG and some idiot with something to prove will come for you. On pvp servers people tend to go about their business more and engage in proper world pvp.

2x - 4x range is notorious for PvP activity during classic. From 'gank' squads roaming STV to lone Feral/Rogue in all zones. Are you going to do it and if so with what?
    Yes with UD rogue. First half of classics life is focused on wpvp. Once the fun is over I'll start levelling something for raiding, probably an alliance mage on a pve server
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

how can you dedicate your playtime to ganking when zones will be more or less empty 90% of the time? people are over-estimating how many active players classic will end up having, it'll be dead in leveling zones within a couple of months

Why is UD rogue the best for this?

gonna duo lvl

spriest / rogue vanilla r14 and r12 no lifers (he gave up the pussy!)
    will have iron grenades prob before entering stv to do everything there

sure come try us

on ganking :

red is dead unless its grey lvl or trying to be nice

green is also sometimes dead because my rogue friend will pull and vanish on top of you so you die when we need them mobs for a quest while i suddenly forgot how to heal

10+ Year Old Account
    2x - 4x range is notorious for PvP activity during classic. From 'gank' squads roaming STV to lone Feral/Rogue in all zones. Are you going to do it and if so with what?
    I'll be on an RP-PvE server, so probably not. I have nothing against people who enjoy the PvP server scene, it's just not something that appeals to me to have my plans for the afternoon ruined because a bored 60 and his buddies want to make sure I don't get anything done for the day. I'll be spending plenty of time in Alterac Valley getting my PvP on, no need to sour my taste for it before I'm ready to start grinding AV at 60.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Why is UD rogue the best for this?
    Undead make good PvP rogues. You can hide under water to evade pursuers, cannibalize ganked enemies for quick health regen before stealthing back up, break most CCs that people might use on you to make a quick escape, and because their leveling zones are in the EK, you can make your way down to Arathi or STV without too much hassle to go ganking.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I wont be looking for it, but I expect it to happen and I will happily participate when it does, I think I'd be slightly disappointed if it didn't.

STVietnam is quite painful, but leveling in general is pretty boring and I really liked leveling in STV on the Beta, because you always had to pay attention to your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Villentretenmerth View Post
    STVietnam is quite painful, but leveling in general is pretty boring and I really liked leveling in STV on the Beta, because you always had to pay attention to your surroundings.
    Thats a beta thing with all the streamers and other streamer follower morons. STV wasn't that bad on an established server back in classic. It was on new servers but it really died out pretty fast and most people were busy leveling.

Also will depend on how often WSG pops during leveling. PvP minded players will want to hit 60 at the max honor rank possible (6? 8?) and if they see that the only way to do so is ganking it will happen.
    So you are going to sit in city/Ashenvale while leveling to queue, or some friend will just sit for you whole time?