Personality = 15 years ago?

Are the personality types you encounter in Classic the same ones that were there 25 years ago? You know: basement dwelling nerdrager elitists? Now we’ve all grown up, the internet has gone mainstream... so is the social experience very different? Are the “cool kid” brogamers from retail playing Classic too?

Some people on this forum try way too damn hard. Get yourself checked out, like seriously.

Besides the generic dads, pot heads, adhd kid screaming, yes.... the overall personalities are completely different.

The internet itself is completely different. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it was better back then, but today there are 100% less chill people who just play the game to have fun. Most people you encounter have at least a hint of elitism to them.

That being said, back in the day, when someone got nasty with you, it got WAY more nasty. Also even friends without being mean to each other would call each other FA**TS and NI***RS and R****DS 24:7. You don’t really see this too much anymore. I guess cuck and simp and words like that replaced those. Also, people never verbally used online phrases out loud on coms. If someone verbally said “lol” you would get made fun of. Now people say things like kap, pog, stuff like this all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    you cannot have the same personality as you or others had 15 years ago. there wasn't really a good comparable game and nobody went in and said "i'm gonna dominate this bitch!".

i could only stand to level to 12-15, dunno. tried to rehash my starting experience with my undead priest. but a clean ui, some small addons, the engine upgrades underneath and everything at 141fps really killed that vibe. also, i knew what to do and what i would have to achieve: get 60 fast and start raiding.

but that is where it is so bad and toxic. this world buff gathering, this record speedrunning and this elitism is killing the vanilla vibe and i will preserve that for me.

i don't get why people want to play that way. it's like going back to school as an adult and scoff over all those losers struggling with basic arithmetics or not hitting a goal hard enough.
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Are the personality types you encounter in Classic the same ones that were there 25 years ago? You know: basement dwelling nerdrager elitists? Now we’ve all grown up, the internet has gone mainstream... so is the social experience very different? Are the “cool kid” brogamers from retail playing Classic too?
    I don't think Warcraft 1 had online multiplayer.

lol brogamers xDD

Damn, basement nerdrager elitists are the worst. Human trash.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    I don't think Warcraft 1 had online multiplayer.

Well... it did :P
    I remember playing as a few yo kid with irl friends even before we had internet connection... we used direct cable connection between us.

Shockingly, people all have unique personalities and some of them play videogames. What the people you encounter online are like is mostly down to the communities you cultivate and choose to be a part of so realistically anybody's answer here probably says more about them than the population as a whole.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't keep up with today's youth lingo: wtf are "cool kid brogamers"?
    You don't understand. Having an unpayed full time job that no one appreciates is the magic of classic.

It's about the journey. The journey into depression. The journey of running a daycare full of middle-aged alcoholics ignoring their SOs and avoiding social engagements to fulfill something they wanted 15 years ago before everyone realized it's not hard at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post

Well... it did :P
    I remember playing as a few yo kid with irl friends even before we had internet connection... we used direct cable connection between us.
    Yeah, I meant online multiplayer, not LAN. Just because he was talking about meeting new personalities haha

Even if the personalities are the same, the mentality has changed.

Don't forget...back in vanilla, even the Top guilds hadn't even THOUGHT about using the Dire Maul buffs.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

I don't think they are the same. Most people are insanely softer. I mean in most cases three or four wipes is when most Classic raid TEAMs start to crumble. Our guild more or less 1 or 2 shot every boss in Naxx up to Four House. Sure not world record pace here but pretty good progression on day one for a fairly casual guild that doesn't demand consumes or world buffs and stays within raid times 2 days a week. We wiped 3 times on Four Horse, killed it on the 4th, and the wipes were while the tanks and healers started to figure it out and people were rage quitting. We seriously had to dip into the bench because people were flipping the fuck out at wipe 2 and wipe 3. These kids have no idea.

definitely different

gaming back then was more for the nerdy audience, although wow definitely opened up gaming for a larger mainstream playerbase, it was a beginning

nowadays its the average teen, egirls, rude and sad no personalities

you can see it from streams etc too, people all even have the same voice, everyone is the same

but is it good or bad? guess we will never know, if you think about it
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow