Download speed dropping to a fraction of what it should be

This seems to happen every couple of months, and I have no idea what causes it or what fixes it.

Seemingly at random, my download speed will drop to 2-3mbps for a whole day. It's usually 100 (what I pay for), and the upload speed seems perfectly fine, but the download speed is stuck at a snail's pace for some reason. It's not just the speed test, I can actually feel it. Trying to watch YouTube videos, they buffer forever and drop down to 240p just to barely play, and images that are only a few hundred kilobytes take like 10+ seconds to load.

Usually it just goes away overnight on its own, but I have no idea what causes it. I've powercycled the router, rebooted my computer, all the usual things...nothing. It's still stuck at 2-3mbps download.

Any idea what is causing this? Out of sheer curiosity at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.

Apparently doing ipconfig /flushdns and disabling my Ethernet adapter for 30 seconds fixed it.

.....well okay then

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad you solved it. If you get tired of flushing the DNS, you can always try calling your ISP and asking if it's something on their end when it does happen