10+ Year Old Account

Anyone use Unity to make 2D games?

Any unity devs here? Im looking for a good community of Unity devs to put something together myself, but I dont even know if Unity is the way to go for 2D games like Zelda. I just picked it up because I have 12+ years exp with C#, but I could be wasting my time.

I started helping a buddy make a game in unity but life got too hectic to continue it for now. Unity is very diverse and can be used to make any kind of game from any perspective, plus it is free to start using and only locks away certain features behind their licences. We would just use google as needed to find what we were looking for and there are tons of places where you can find free tutorials or code snipets for specific functionality. I have also used GameMaker Studio and it is pretty good for 2D games but takes a bit to get used to. One advantage that Unity has is that it readily communicates with visual studio so you can create custom plugins for your games within it for special functionality.

There's this new gaming platform out there . . .

And I can't remember the name. People were raving about how much easier it is to use than Unity. I think it started with a 'G', but that's probably wrong.

Unity uses C# natively, IIRC.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I started helping a buddy make a game in unity but life got too hectic to continue it for now. Unity is very diverse and can be used to make any kind of game from any perspective, plus it is free to start using and only locks away certain features behind their licences. We would just use google as needed to find what we were looking for and there are tons of places where you can find free tutorials or code snipets for specific functionality. I have also used GameMaker Studio and it is pretty good for 2D games but takes a bit to get used to. One advantage that Unity has is that it readily communicates with visual studio so you can create custom plugins for your games within it for special functionality.
    Thats the #1 reason I picked it up this week. Ive been wanting to make a zelda clone for fun, and I understand C# pretty well, so I figured it was a good place to start.

I just wanted to make sure I wasnt wasting my time with dead tech, as I dont really frequent game dev communities, so I dont know whats "in" and "out".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    There's this new gaming platform out there . . .

And I can't remember the name. People were raving about how much easier it is to use than Unity. I think it started with a 'G', but that's probably wrong.

Unity uses C# natively, IIRC.
    Ill see if I can find this one too.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I think that "it starts with a G" engine being referred to here is Godot. I've heard good things about it but haven't gotten around to looking at it yet.

That said, you definitely don't have to worry about Unity being "dead tech" for a long time. I don't think it's going away for a while. Unity is also pretty easy to learn, especially if you already have years of experience with C#.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-06-28 at 02:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just reading up on Godot and it looks pretty good too. It looks like the consensus among most devs is, learn unity first then use Godot.

I also read that you can use entity framework inside a unity app. =o] So my horizons just expanded by 50%. I was wondering how data collections are handled in video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I think that "it starts with a G" engine being referred to here is Godot. I've heard good things about it but haven't gotten around to looking at it yet.

That said, you definitely don't have to worry about Unity being "dead tech" for a long time. I don't think it's going away for a while. Unity is also pretty easy to learn, especially if you already have years of experience with C#.

Yes, that's it!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Spend a couple of hours a week messing around in unity. If you're looking for how to get starter, Lets Code game builds a Zelda like game from scratch. 15 parts (40ish hours) to the tutorial. Does every step on stream (including any mistakes they make). Its a good watch imo to get all the basics down. But ya Unity is a great place to start.

10+ Year Old Account
    One more quick question.

Is there a industry standard sprite editor to create palettes and tile sets? Or are people serious when they say MS Paint is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    One more quick question.

Is there a industry standard sprite editor to create palettes and tile sets? Or are people serious when they say MS Paint is the best?
    There are a bunch of tools, but a lot of people swear by Aseprite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    There are a bunch of tools, but a lot of people swear by Aseprite.
    Hmmm, not too bad, looks like its only 15 bucks.

Now I need to get good at sprite art. /TeleportingBackTo1999

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Hmmm, not too bad, looks like its only 15 bucks.

Now I need to get good at sprite art. /TeleportingBackTo1999
    My recommendation is to get a sprite sheet of a few games you like and start by looking at them, it may give you some ideas of how you want to go about your own sprites. You can even use them as a template too.

A small indie game dev has got a series on youtube called Creeper World 4, he's developing right now using Unity. His previous versions 1, 2, 3, have all used unity and various other engines. It looks pretty neat actually.