Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Proof. Or it is just your opinion. And you will have to use a source other than one which has a record hating Trump.

And it is the one reported by the labor dept. which shows if the economy is good or not.
    It is, I've read thousands of articles and have kept a mental note of how and at least in my 5 years of finance, accounting, business, and econ studies. Show that the unemployment is flawed by not accounting for full time, people who've stopped looking for work, and other conditions that are not included. Not an opinion just that's the way our system of government operates.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here is a web site which explains the unemployment rate and how it is conducted. https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm The unemployment rate is overall, a good tool for business to use in reference to how confident they feel the economy is. Even part time work during the holidays is calculated differently in order to come up with a more realistic rate. The current 3.6 % unemployment rates is one sign the economy is healthy.
    From your source:

Garrett is 16 years old, and he has no job from which he receives any pay or profit. However, Garrett does help with the regular chores around his parents’ farm and spends about 20 hours each week doing so.

Lisa spends most of her time taking care of her home and children, but she helps in her husband's computer software business all day Friday and Saturday.

Both Garrett and Lisa are considered employed.

Damn, thanks for that website, going by these definitions of employed, unemployed and not in the labor force, you can't trust any number provided at all.

Also, why the fuck are Hispanics somehow counted differently?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The economy is fine depending on your field of work, it has not been spread in a even manner or kept up with rising costs mostly healthcare and higher education. Some are saying those are unicorns and are impossible to reign in costs but it should be noted that those 2 are the largest drivers for a populace to seek better employment to begin with. I am sure if you asked some Iowa farmers how great the economy was doing they would give you a vastly different response then what a investment broker would give.

I think underemployment is a real problem and that is why you are seeing various people look at being a Uber/Lyft driver as a side form of income to make ends meet which brings up the important topic why has the great tax cuts rained down on the general populace? If the economy was doing so well then retail store closures would not have been so pronounced during the past year which again leads to layoffs. Ecommerce while growing year over year is not outpacing total dollar amounts to retail store outlets and will not over take it anytime soon but here we are, even popular higher posh stores in New York are closing if that tells you anything.

To those who want Trump to fail are a bit odd in my eyes as if the economy tanks its their fellow countrymen who will be struggling or hurting due to it, i feel bad for the farmers who are losing generational assets either from trade war stupidity to extreme weather events. The other aspect is that Unemployment numbers do not matter if they do not make enough money to pump it back into the economy to boost others prospects.

Amazing that Trump started economic expansion 10 years ago. Truly the best president.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    From your source:

Garrett is 16 years old, and he has no job from which he receives any pay or profit. However, Garrett does help with the regular chores around his parents’ farm and spends about 20 hours each week doing so.

Lisa spends most of her time taking care of her home and children, but she helps in her husband's computer software business all day Friday and Saturday.

Both Garrett and Lisa are considered employed.

Damn, thanks for that website, going by these definitions of employed, unemployed and not in the labor force, you can't trust any number provided at all.

Also, why the fuck are Hispanics somehow counted differently?
    This seems like a far more reasonable way to measure "real" unemployment than the Republicans under Obama who defined it as all people not working, including people under 18 and retired persons.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    This seems like a far more reasonable way to measure "real" unemployment than the Republicans under Obama who defined it as all people not working, including people under 18 and retired persons.
    It's based on a survey from the same households month by month, year by year.

There were 22k bankruptcies this year alone in the US. I do wonder how that is shown by a set number of households that get asked the same questions every other month year by year.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

It's based on a survey from the same households month by month, year by year.

There were 22k bankruptcies this year alone in the US. I do wonder how that is shown by a set number of households that get asked the same questions every other month year by year.

Bankruptcy is different in America, it's very easy to declare bankruptcy here.

I read somewhere that most bankruptcies are over healthcare costs. Usually the judge makes you pay it all back, he'll just set the payments at a very low amount that the person can afford.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Bankruptcy is different in America, it's very easy to declare bankruptcy here.

I read somewhere that most bankruptcies are over healthcare costs. Usually the judge makes you pay it all back, he'll just set the payments at a very low amount that the person can afford.
    That is beside the point though. If none of the asked households is employed by any of those companies that went bust it will not show in the statistic.

Non-stop job-growth combined with 190k layoffs in the first three months of 2019.

lol had to go back to march to get a report of meh wage news....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Oh the downturn is coming, and it's coming sooner than a lot of people imagine. Transportation is almost always the last to feel any effects of a downturn, because people still buy their stuff and companies still need their materials for manufacturing. Almost all class 1 railroads as well as many trucking companies are showing losses from last year between 2-5% depending on shipments. That's huge when determining car loads and shipments in tonnage.

We're on track for worse than the 2008 Recession, but chances are it'll happen just soon enough that Trump and his Cult will blame it on Democrat Obstructionism in the House.
    Would be interesting to see what the Fed would do if we do have a recession. At the time the 2008 financial crisis hit, the Fed had considerably more wiggle room with policy. The funds rate was at 5.25% when the central bank started cutting in 2007; it is now closer to 2.38%, around the middle of the target range of 2.25% to 2.5%. The only tool left to the Fed is print lots and lots of money.

Proof. Or it is just your opinion. And you will have to use a source other than one which has a record hating Trump.

And it is the one reported by the labor dept. which shows if the economy is good or not.
    The current U6 unemployment rate as of May 2019 is 7.10.

The u6 the real rate.

The one trump used to quote.
    how about the other one trump said....labor participation rate (67%) -100% = real unemployment which right now is still at 33% according to how trump used to claim 30-40% unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    The current U6 unemployment rate as of May 2019 is 7.10.

The u6 the real rate.

The one trump used to quote.
    how about the other one trump said....labor participation rate (67%) -100% = real unemployment which right now is still at 33% according to how trump used to claim 30-40% unemployment.
    Labor participation rate is 62.8% now.

What's really happening with this "booming economy" is that people are realizing that it is not equating to increased prosperity for the majority of Americans. They started seeing it under Obama, but Trump's really helped hammer it home with the daily "look at the stock market!"

The stock market's booming, corporations are literally making so much money that they cannot spend or even generate interest on it, yet employee wages are stagnant and fewer people can afford basic services including proper healthcare. We're at a point that if the economy keeps doing so well, we might actually see a revolution from the lower half of the country that's not seeing a dime in return from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Obama! Set it up so well, a low functioning retard like Trump couldn’t even fuck it up in a couple years. The best part of all this is the usual suspect clowns thinking it’s because of Trump, and not despite him. Shit, any run of the mill Republican would’ve passed that tax cut, but would’ve steered clear of Trump’s amateur hour economic fuckups.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2019-06-20 at 10:07 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Labor participation rate is 62.8% now.
    damn you are right....got my maff all confused

so 100-62.8 = 37.2%

so its even worse. its still close to that 40% trump used to crow about

what's even funnier is he has not brought up labor participation in how many years since he found out there is no real way of fixing the babyboomer problem as it relates to population of workforce till they all die off.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    It is, I've read thousands of articles and have kept a mental note of how and at least in my 5 years of finance, accounting, business, and econ studies. Show that the unemployment is flawed by not accounting for full time, people who've stopped looking for work, and other conditions that are not included. Not an opinion just that's the way our system of government operates.
    Sorry. What you are saying is trust the opinion of a random poster on a gaming forum. Not saying you are lying. But I am not convinced what you are saying is correct.
    Namely, your figures being a more correct way of judging the unemployment rate, when the Labor Dept.'s. method is the one which has been touted and used for a very long time.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-06-20 at 11:21 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get where you guys see that the market will boom forever. The stock market nearly corrected itself on Christmas Eve 2018, but stock buy back solved that problem. Stores are closing left and right with 50% less jobs created compared to last year. I wouldn't be shocked if the market corrects itself this holiday season. At some point this bubble will pop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry. What you are saying is trust the opinion of a random poster on a gaming forum. Not saying you are lying. But I am not convinced what you are saying is correct.
    Namely, your figures being a more correct way of judging the unemployment rate, when the Labor Dept.'s. method is the one which has been touted and used for a very long time.
    For how long is a very long time?

10+ Year Old Account
    For how long is a very long time?
    Obviously right after Trump got rid of that horrid 42% unemployment rate and fixed everything on the planet.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I don't get where you guys see that the market will boom forever. The stock market nearly corrected itself on Christmas Eve 2018, but stock buy back solved that problem. Stores are closing left and right with 50% less jobs created compared to last year. I wouldn't be shocked if the market corrects itself this holiday season. At some point this bubble will pop.
    it has not boomed for 17 months now.

we keep hitting the same "records" that were hit in jan 2018