Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is the internet so bad nowadays?

Everything's so centralized, Facebook, google and microsoft own everything, before things used to be not as centralized, it was a colourful mess of different websites.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can always dive into The Deep Web
    Last edited by Trassk; 2019-06-18 at 07:16 PM.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Because big companies swallow up smaller ones. That's how capitalism works. If something makes money, someone else wants it. Eventually you're down to just a few choices.

I mean, look at the film/TV industry. Pretty much everything there is owned by Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because big companies swallow up smaller ones. That's how capitalism works. If something makes money, someone else wants it. Eventually you're down to just a few choices.

I mean, look at the film/TV industry. Pretty much everything there is owned by Disney
    Yes and can be downloaded for free on the internet too .

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we are to blame (the users/ consumers).

Its just that we cba to explore/ browse/ memorize a plethora of different websites.
    Instead we work up a pattern of websites/ search engines we use and stick to them. And only really venture out outsde that when its absoluetly necessary.
    Well *we* that is me atleast.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Everything's so centralized, Facebook, google and microsoft own everything, before things used to be not as centralized, it was a colourful mess of different websites.
    Well microsoft doesnt own anything about the only thing they own is desktop space and that is changing too rapidly... They have no phones and maybe 5% of the servers run Microsoft.

Google pretty much owns us though. Most of the world runs android, and google is so common that when you say search for something you say go google it...

Fakebook on the other hand is an engima... They have horrible security and privacy yet people still use it... Probably because other alternatives haven't risen up yet. However, I am willing to bet though facebook isn't as large outside of the US as people think. They claim a billion accounts but I bet a large portion are duplicates or fakes. I got 5 facebook accounts alone

7+ Year Old Account
    It still is a "colorful mess" as you put it.

Stop generalizing things to spam thread topics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly you don't spend much time googling anything other than major websites, if that is your impression of the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    because draenei females won't stop posting pictures of them being hussbuckets.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Well the short answer is that smart phones opened up the web to idiots at a far faster rate then ever before.

It used to be a boy's club where everyone on had some basic understanding of how things worked and even the minor barrier to entry assured a better crowd.

Shorter answer:
    Unwashed plebs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Well the short answer is that smart phones opened up the web to idiots at a far faster rate then ever before.

It used to be a boy's club where everyone on had some basic understanding of how things worked and even the minor barrier to entry assured a better crowd.

Shorter answer:
    Unwashed plebs.
    being able to operate a computer doesn't make you knowledgeable about how the world works.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

If you look at MMOs and online games nowadays, you can see that ppl don't talk to others anymore, except for when they feel the need to complain about something, or when they can gain something out of it. Friendships are completely pre-determined, closely knit and fully exclusive, with zero possibilities for outsiders to enter. Everyone only thinks of themselves and their own ( and core-group's) gains.
    If you're new to a game, you're expected to know everything by yourself, and to play completely solo learning everything by yourself before you can even hope to become friends with anyone.

Think about the ridiculousness of it for a second, if you're new, you're expected to play solo in an MMO.
    Multiplayer games are extremely hostile, unforgiving and ultimately toxic environments nowadays. The rest of the internet isn't much better. And most likely the point of no return has been crossed already during the early 2010s, the death of MMOs is inevitable. And ppl only have themselves to blame for it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    greed/amtition
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    because draenei females won't stop posting pictures of them being hussbuckets.
    The only female draeneis i see posted are ones with elephant trunks in their groins.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    being able to operate a computer doesn't make you knowledgeable about how the world works.
    No but it is the smallest of hurdles and that can be enough at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only female draeneis i see posted are ones with elephant trunks in their groins.
    those are even worse. i try to avoid such pictures. only pure female sin'dorei and kal'dorei and high elven beauties for me. no naked litebrites,draenei or zika elves no siree.

3+ Year Old Account
    Due to our habits of using major products with all kinds of sub-functions. Then Tycoons meet our demand and took our money and private data as a price of them.

I don't think the internet is bad.

There are plenty of alternatives to Google, Facebook and Microsoft.

Use Bing or Duck Duck Go for your search.

There's like a hundred alternatives to Facebook.

Use Android, Apple OS, or Linux if you don't want to use Microsoft.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Telecommunications Act of 1996, which allowed for media cross-ownership
    Anti-War / Anti-CIA / Cynic / Unpopular Opinions

That my friend is the EVIL side of capitalism.