Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The 2024 Formula 1 World Championship Thread

Round, Grand Prix, Circuit, Date
    • 01 Bahrain Grand Prix, Bahrain Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, 2 March
    • 02 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, Saudi Arabia Jeddah Corniche Circuit,Jeddah, 9 March
    • 03 Australian Grand Prix, Australia Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne, 24 March
    • 04 Japanese Grand Prix, Japan Suzuka International Racing Course, Suzuka, 7 April
    • 05 Chinese Grand Prix, China Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai, 21 April
    • 06 Miami Grand Prix, United States Miami International Autodrome, Miami Gardens, Florida, 5 May
    • 07 Emila Romagna Grand Prix, Italy Imola Circuit, Imola, 19 May
    • 08 Monaco Grand Prix, Monaco Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo, 26 May
    • 09 Canadian Grand Prix, Canada Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, 9 June
    • 10 Spanish Grand Prix, Spain Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona, 23 June
    • 11 Austrian Grand Prix, Austria Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, 30 June
    • 12 British Grand Prix, United Kingdom Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, 7 July
    • 13 Hungarian Grand Prix, Hungary Hungaroring, Budapest, 21 July
    • 14 Belgian Grand Prix, Belgium Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot, 28 July
    • 15 Dutch Grand Prix, The Netherlands Circuit Zandvoort, Zandvoort, 25 August
    • 16 Italian Grand Prix, Italy Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, 1 September
    • 17 Azerbaijan Grand Prix, Azerbaijan Baku City Circuit, Baku, 15 September
    • 18 Singapore Grand Prix, Singapore Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, 22 September
    • 19 United States Grand Prix, United States Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas, 20 October
    • 20 Mexican Grand Prix, Mexico Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Mexico City, 27 October
    • 21 Brazilian Grand Prix, Brazil Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo, 3 November
    • 22 Las Vegas Grand Prix, Las Vegas Street Circuit, Las Vegas, Nevada, 23 November
    • 23 Qatar Grand Prix, Losail International Circuit, Lusail, 1 December
    • 24 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, United Arab Emirates Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, 8 December

Teams:

Team: Scuderia Ferrari
    Constructor: Ferrari
    Chassis: SF-24
    Power Unit: Ferrari 066/12
    Drivers:
    • 16 Charles Leclerc
    • 55 Carlos Sainz Jr.

Team: Aston Martin Aramco F1 Team
    Constructor: Aston Martin-Mercedes
    Chassis: AMR24
    Power Unit: Mercedes-AMG F1 M15 E Performance
    Drivers:
    • 14 Fernando Alonso
    • 18 Lance Stroll

Team: MoneyGram Haas F1 Team
    Constructor: Haas-Ferrari
    Chassis: VF-24
    Power Unit: Ferrari 066/10
    Drivers:
    • 20 Kevin Magnussen
    • 27 Nico Hülkenberg

Team: McLaren F1 team
    Constructor: McLaren-Mercedes
    Chassis: MCL38
    Drivers:
    • 4 Lando Norris
    • 81 Oscar Piastri

Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team
    Constructor: Mercedes
    Chassis: W15
    Drivers:
    • 44 Lewis Hamilton
    • 63 George Russell

Team: Oracle Red Bull Racing
    Constructor: Red Bull Racing-Honda RBPT
    Chassis: RB20
    Power Unit: Honda RBPTH002
    Drivers:
    • 1 Max Verstappen
    • 11 Sergio Perez

Team: BWT Alpine F1 team
    Constructor Alpine-Renault
    Chassis: A524
    Power Unit: Renault E-Tech RE24
    Drivers:
    • 10 Pierre Gasly
    • 31 Esteban Ocon

Team: Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber
    Constructor: Alfa Romeo-Ferrari
    Chassis: C44
    Power Unit: Ferrari 066/12
    Drivers:
    • 24 Zhou Guanyu
    • 77 Valtteri Bottas

Team: Visa Cash App RB Formula One Team
    Constructor: AlphaTauri-Honda RBPT
    Chassis: VCARB 01
    Power Unit: Honda RBPTH002
    Drivers:
    • 3 Daniel Ricciardo
    • 22 Yuki Tsunoda

Team: Williams Racing
    Constructor: Williams-Mercedes
    Chassis: FW46
    Drivers:
    • 2 Logan Sargeant
    • 23 Alexander Albon

Testing has begun. To no-one's surprise every other team has copied last year's Red Bull.
    To everyone's surprise Red Bull has copied last year's Mercedes.

And in the end Max wins again

Hopefully not as far ahead as last year, but it looks like he has the upper hand at the start of the season again.

To warm up, Formula 1: Drive to Survive is available starting today.

10+ Year Old Account
    DtS was already horrible for fans who actually saw the events live. Spoiler: it didn't go the way it's depicted by DtS. But now they made the decision, that after the obnoxious Will Buxton, let Danica Patrick share her infinite wisdom about F1. It's getting worse by the season.

I feel like we're going to have another run-away season. I thought the whole point of the rules changes was to stop this?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I feel like we're going to have another run-away season. I thought the whole point of the rules changes was to stop this?
    I think the ultimate aim was to make racing "closer". Which it somewhat did I suppose if you ignore the team at the front... but if you ask me to do that I will walk away from the sport - which I will probs do until next regs. I suspect this is a very similar feeling/choice for a fair few. Bar a couple of races, nothing about last year was fun to watch.

A combination of massively new regs and budget cap has basically ensured whoever nails them gets a pretty "easy" 4 titles. I said it years ago when this was announced. There is no way for any team to catch up. I will eat humble pie if this is not the case but as it stands, it's going to be an absolute wash of wins for RB next two years. Given how utter garbage Checo is, would not be surprised to see Max winning every single race. On top form, team is on form, team mate is dog and the fastest car by a country mile. 24/24?

Damn, America gets three races? I've been out of the loop too long. I need to figure out what channel it comes on here. Alonso and Hamilton are the only racers I remember from when I semi-followed it. Monaco was always my favorite. Thanks for the thread, going to try to catch all the US races, Brazil, Mexico, Canada and Monaco. I'll stay up for Japan too if I happen to be off the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Damn, America gets three races? I've been out of the loop too long. I need to figure out what channel it comes on here. Alonso and Hamilton are the only racers I remember from when I semi-followed it. Monaco was always my favorite. Thanks for the thread, going to try to catch all the US races, Brazil, Mexico, Canada and Monaco. I'll stay up for Japan too if I happen to be off the next day.
    The US gets all the races, commercial free (if you watch it live), on ESPN (usually ESPN2). Monaco and Austin find their way on some of the other Disney network of channels (typically ABC). You have to go to other spots for significant pre-race coverage though. Last year I think only Monaco and the 3 US races had much of anything here (for pre-race).

Australia/China/Japan kind of stink to watch live in the US. And strangely--so does Vegas (1 AM eastern).
    Last edited by Espo; 2024-02-26 at 05:59 PM.

Good to know, thanks for the info. Damn, Vegas starts at midnight Central time? They always have to be different. Monaco gets the extra coverage because it's awesome, it was always my favorite as a kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to know, thanks for the info. Damn, Vegas starts at midnight Central time? They always have to be different. Monaco gets the extra coverage because it's awesome, it was always my favorite as a kid.
    Tbf, with the current design of the cars, too long and too wide, only qualifying is worth watching. The race is a procession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, almost time to see how much real pace the Red Bull, Mercedes, and Ferrari have.

Hoping for another 4th for McLaren in the WCC. Go team!

I almost want to fast forward to the silly season, to find out where Sainz ends up for 2025.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXXXII View Post
    Tbf, with the current design of the cars, too long and too wide, only qualifying is worth watching. The race is a procession.
    Hasn't it been like that for a while now, though? I grew up with Senna, Prost, Piquet, and Mansell, and then Schumacher and Hakkinen. Hamilton and Alonso are skilled, but the competition just isn't like it was in the 90's.

Hasn't it been like that for a while now, though? I grew up with Senna, Prost, Piquet, and Mansell, and then Schumacher and Hakkinen. Hamilton and Alonso are skilled, but the competition just isn't like it was in the 90's.
    Don't overstate the 90s. 90 and 91 McLaren were beyond dominant, same for Williams 92 and 93. 94 they should have been to but Benetton car was clearly illegal (option 13). 95 Benetton were clear in dominance due to Williams being unreliable as anything.

96 again a stupidly dominant Williams. 97 was close for once without either team being dominant. 98 McLaren was stupidly dominant, 99 was close enough.

So of the 90s only 3 years really had seasons with more than one team dominating and one of those years was due to a car being illegal but got away with it because the FIA just didn't want more drama after 2 deaths, and a summer of escapades and a refueling fire incident.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't have to do with skills. Street circuits are too narrow for these drivers to show their skills.

That depends on the cicuit. Last year there was almost always overtaking during the race. The fact that Max was dominant didn't mean the rest didn't race.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't have to do with skills. Street circuits are too narrow for these drivers to show their skills.
    Street circuits show the skills more than other circuits. In a very direct way, if your skill lacks, you end up in the wall.

Well I don't mean they lack skill, but the pool of skilled world class drivers has dwindled. Since Schumacher took over, and with Hamilton and Alonso eventually, it's like the same usual suspects head and shoulders above the rest, whereas back in the 80's and 90's, you had a much more diverse pool of skilled and hungry drivers who were charismatic and had some really heated rivalries. That made the sport as interesting to watch outside the race as it did the race itself. Monaco was always one of the most narrow circuits, but aren't the other tracks wide enough for real competition?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Don't overstate the 90s. 90 and 91 McLaren were beyond dominant, same for Williams 92 and 93. 94 they should have been to but Benetton car was clearly illegal (option 13). 95 Benetton were clear in dominance due to Williams being unreliable as anything.

96 again a stupidly dominant Williams. 97 was close for once without either team being dominant. 98 McLaren was stupidly dominant, 99 was close enough.

So of the 90s only 3 years really had seasons with more than one team dominating and one of those years was due to a car being illegal but got away with it because the FIA just didn't want more drama after 2 deaths, and a summer of escapades and a refueling fire incident.
    Yeah, I heard about Benetton being illegal in 94, it was actually driving Senna nuts, and that was ironically the start of Schumacher's incredible run and reign (not that he didn't later prove to be a great driver regardless), but this is a racing sport and most years out of most will be determined on who has the best car, but it seems like back then you just had more world champion-caliber drivers at the top competing for the title, and not just the same guy dominating for like a decade. Not hating on Schumacher or Hamilton, I'm of the mentality that if you don't like a dynasty, well, beat it, but there just isn't enough talent around at the top to really push them to the limit. Maybe 1-3 guys whereas before it felt like there were 5-6 drivers constantly at the top competing, regardless of what the best cars were.

Unless Mercedes was able to one up themselves it most likely will be the same as last year. Red Bull in testing showed that they have developped things on the car that no one even though of.
    And Ferrari as always will 'Ferrari' themselves.

Well I don't mean they lack skill, but the pool of skilled world class drivers has dwindled. Since Schumacher took over, and with Hamilton and Alonso eventually, it's like the same usual suspects head and shoulders above the rest, whereas back in the 80's and 90's, you had a much more diverse pool of skilled and hungry drivers who were charismatic and had some really heated rivalries. That made the sport as interesting to watch outside the race as it did the race itself. Monaco was always one of the most narrow circuits, but aren't the other tracks wide enough for real competition?
    I'd say the grid is pretty diverse in terms of skill. There's a handful of drivers that could win a world championship with the right car: Verstappen, Hamilton, Leclerc, Alonso and probably Norris and Russell, but I'd consider them a tier behind the first 4. Verstappen, Hamilton and Alonso are three of the best to ever do it--I don't think we lack driver talent. But the disparity in cars at the very top is mega right now--Red Bull is just so much further ahead of everyone, combined with Verstappen (who sends his teammates into the shadow realm), and it's a snooze fest at the top. The tier right below Red Bull is quite interesting though.

If you've been out of it for a while--go take a look back at the 2021 season. That was an epic one that gave some shades of Prost/Senna, etc. I'll pre-warn that the ending was an absolute mockery of the sport (wouldn't be the first time at least), but it was a thrilling season where two drivers both deserved the title (and said mockery doesn't discount how good the winner is, but was it was shitty).

On Monaco--there are a few other circuits that are similar (passing is terrible/near impossible without a massive car differential--for a variety of reasons), but in general yes most all circuits have much better wheel-to-wheel racing. Monaco requires a stupid amount of skill to qualify and not hit a wall, but is not a good track to demonstrate wheel-to-wheel racing due to how big/wide the cars are, among other factors.

Dear god, Alpine is absolute shit this year lol. Verstappen and Alonso still extracting their maximum, good qualy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Alpine...

Nico manhandling that Haas into Q3.

Grid looks reasonably close for tomorrow.

McLaren look OK.

edit: Saw a post somewhere that made me laugh: "Alpine back row lock out."
    Last edited by Ayirasi; 2024-03-01 at 08:00 PM.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi