Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

how long will it take to unlock flying?

we all have pathfinder part 1

exploring the new zones is a matter of hours.

but what about getting revered with the new faction? how long do you guys think that will take?

They said about 2-3 weeks of normal 1-2hrs a day of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan2 View Post
    we all have pathfinder part 1

exploring the new zones is a matter of hours.

but what about getting revered with the new faction? how long do you guys think that will take?

Too long if you ask me. I am absolutely sick of the pathfinder system. Part 1 was fine, but having to wait around for part 2 is just absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    They? Blizzard or theorycrafters?

How much ability do we have to push it faster? If we grind as hard as possible what is the time commit and the outcome? Or is it gated waiting for dailies to repop?
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post

How much ability do we have to push it faster? If we grind as hard as possible what is the time commit and the outcome? Or is it gated waiting for dailies to repop?

You'll be able to grind out the Mechagon rep by killing mobs. 100 spare parts will = 100 rep. I think you may get a couple every few kills or so. My guess is you could grind that out in about 2 weeks of above average play on top of your dailies / quests.

As for the sea rep I think we are screwed. I know the quest chain / dailies give a decent amount but its looking like 5-6 weeks of doing dailies every day to hit revered to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post

Blizz said it'd be similar to Legion with respect to time. From the limited amount of time I was able to be on the PTR, the reputation is gated by WQ's. However, Darkmoon Faire will be coming towards the end of Week 1, so we'll have bonuses available for that. It wasn't made very public (and could change when it goes live), but doing the legendary pet battles in the world nets you a couple thousand rep for the respective zones.

If you want a reference, doing the opening quests before going out to explore all the yellow !'s on your map outside the main hub should land you pretty close to Friendly, especially if you're human.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    Sounds fair. I know Mechagon in particular has special items which grant temporary flight, which should help.

BLIZZARD LOGIC: "You know that thing you've been waiting 8+ months to unlock? Well good news! You have to grind for an extra 2-3 weeks to get it after the patch! YAY!"

I really wish they'd just pull the stick out and stop being so god damn afraid of their content being "spoiled" by flying, and just buckle down and make content that uses flight in the first place so that wouldn't be a problem. Overhaul how flying works if necessary to make it happen, but just do it already.

But they gotta boost those MAU and engagement figures somehow, I guess. :/

You need 21k rep for Revered. I guess general quest chains for the zones should give you between 2-5k depending on the amount of quests. From dailies it should be around 750-1k per day per zone + a 1/8 chance for 1500 from an emissary. Also: Darkmoon is up 1,5 weeks in.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    BLIZZARD LOGIC: "You know that thing you've been waiting 8+ months to unlock? Well good news! You have to grind for an extra 2-3 weeks to get it after the patch! YAY!"

I really wish they'd just pull the stick out and stop being so god damn afraid of their content being "spoiled" by flying, and just buckle down and make content that uses flight in the first place so that wouldn't be a problem. Overhaul how flying works if necessary to make it happen, but just do it already.

Yeah, I won't be re-subbing or buying the new expansion unless they get over their anti-flight craze.

The amount of requirements and gating for flying is stupid as hell.

I'll be honest, not a huge fan of BFA either (loved Legion), and Mechagon/Nazjatar don't impress me enough to make me want to come back.

ITT: All of the children who think not having flying ruins WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

At least i havent seen the players using the flying hack in bfa, so blizz must have cracked down on them.. *you know..the one where the mount wings dont move..and the player bobs up and down and they are able to fly etc..go over mountains..etc saw them sometimes during legion using it to farm herbs*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leetbeartank View Post
    ITT: All of the children who think not having flying ruins WoW.
    I guess i'm one of the few that believe flying shouldn't be unlocked at the start of an expac. Mid expac is fair..just not into all the rep grinding/time gating etc.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a cash grab system i think. They drag it out so that it keeps players subbed, is my guess. I could be quite wrong in this assumption.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    Yeah, I won't be re-subbing or buying the new expansion unless they get over their anti-flight craze.

The amount of requirements and gating for flying is stupid as hell.
    I understand why they do it. Their current design philosophy doesn't include any allowance for a player that can use the mechanics of flying. They're designing content with the assumption that players will be grounded, and adding flight later, behind time/rep gates to make certain flight can't circumvent that ground-based content until the content is no longer relevant.

That part of it isn't stupid at all. In fact it makes a LOT of sense.

The part that IS stupid, however, is the massive gating based on the assumption that the player experience will be harmed if people aren't held back from flight. That they have to be forced to stay grounded, long past when content has already been cleared, in order to preserve some arbitrary experience that Blizzard thinks we want.

I understand why they do it. Their current design philosophy doesn't include any allowance for a player that can use the mechanics of flying. They're designing content with the assumption that players will be grounded, and adding flight later, behind time/rep gates to make certain flight can't circumvent that ground-based content until the content is no longer relevant.

The part that IS stupid, however, is the massive gating based on the assumption that the player experience will be harmed if people aren't held back from flight. That they have to be forced to stay grounded, long past when content has already been cleared, in order to preserve some arbitrary experience that Blizzard thinks we want.
    You experience 90% of the world content leveling to 120 Tbh.

What other meaningful WORLD content is there that they're so afraid we're going to skip over? World quests are a joke and flying doesn't make them any easier than already being too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post

It's a cash grab system i think. They drag it out so that it keeps players subbed, is my guess. I could be quite wrong in this assumption.
    Not entirely wrong. I'd say it's less of a cheap cash grab and more just an attempt to make their more simple ground-centric content formula last as long as possible. While at the same time turning flight into a "reward" for players to chase.

It's probably much easier to keep using the grounded formula with flying tacked on when it no longer matters, than it is to overhaul their open world formula to integrate flight. Not only would it take more dev time, but they wouldn't be able to use flight as a carrot anymore either.

The problem is that the former only leads to stagnation. Boring uninspired content. They've got to start innovating.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-06-25 at 03:50 AM.

It is likely part of their sub retention mechanisms. If given a choice there is a good chunk that would choose not to do the content and associated grinds part of path finder. If they just time gated it then players who are bothered enough by it would just come in after it is fully unlocked. Knowing that there is a grind will get those players to get started earlier so that they are not left flightless grinding while everyone else is flying around them. There is also the part that lack of flight must have a measurable impact on lengthening the grind.

At least i havent seen the players using the flying hack in bfa, so blizz must have cracked down on them.. *you know..the one where the mount wings dont move..and the player bobs up and down and they are able to fly etc..go over mountains..etc saw them sometimes during legion using it to farm herbs*

- - - Updated - - -

I guess i'm one of the few that believe flying shouldn't be unlocked at the start of an expac. Mid expac is fair..just not into all the rep grinding/time gating etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt having flying gated behind a month of rep grind nets more subs than having flying unlocked day one. Kind of a silly assumption that ignores common sense.

3-4 weeks they said, but I feel like it might be worse.

Speaking from the launch perspective they haven't really added any content. For the most part its been nothing but reused leveling quests and rares outside that very rare incurson. Stuff like the added War campaign were so local that added flight would not have made much difference overall.. As for it being relevant, that stopped about 2 weeks after launch..

Quote Originally Posted by GhostShaman View Post
    Too long if you ask me. I am absolutely sick of the pathfinder system. Part 1 was fine, but having to wait around for part 2 is just absurd.
    This.

IMHO, unlocking flying should come with the base expansion. i.e. Part 1. Even though, I dislike it being tied to rep. Completing the Expansions Loremaster, i.e. exploring all the zones while grounded, should be all that's required.