Page 1 of 2
LastLast

8.3 to WoW will be what S8 was to Game of Thrones

Let's see:

We have lots of unresolved plotlines. Who is the "she" that is mentioned in all of the Old Gods' prophecies? How will Azeroth be healed? How will the Horde vs. Alliance war be resolved? What are the five torches and the five keys? What were Anduin's 3 lies? Will Derek successfully integrate into the Alliance or will his programming awaken and force him to kill his family? What's the deal with Calia and light-raised Forsaken? Who is Bwonsamdi's boss? Who brought Vol'jin back? What is Sylvanas' endgame?

The fact is none of it really matters. The Alliance and the Horde will team up to blast N'Zoth in a single anticlimactic battle and that will be the end of a 17 year old Old God plot. The factions will then unite and that will be the end of it. All of the prophecies, plot hooks and mysteries will be conveniently brushed under the rug and forgotten about. There's just not enough time to explore all of that in 1 patch. Just like there wasn't enough time to explore all of GoT's mysteries in 6 episodes so the writers just kind of forgot about all of them.

If you need any further proof, just look at 8.2's "story". It's like Blizzard hired Dumb & Dumber to write it. "Well, the Alliance and the Horde kind of forgot about the Tidestone but Azshara sure hasn't forgotten about it..." And the war campaign wastes valuable screen time on Baine, Thrall, Saurfang and Jaina being SAD about HONOR instead of moving the plot along.

7+ Year Old Account
    What is it with you and your constant comparing of wow to GoT?

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    S8 of GoT is the universal benchmark for terrible writing, but Blizzard's team is hard at work to rectify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Let's see:

We have lots of unresolved plotlines.
    Simple but not good.
    Who is the "she" that is mentioned in all of the Old Gods' prophecies?
    Different kinds of she. Death is about Azeroth, sheeps are about Sylvanas.
    How will Azeroth be healed?
    By losing the necklace after raid.
    How will the Horde vs. Alliance war be resolved?
    Baine surrenders.
    What are the five torches and the five keys?
    Plot twist, necklace empowered by five dragons is the key.
    What were Anduin's 3 lies?
    Retconned because golden child never lies.
    Will Derek successfully integrate into the Alliance or will his programming awaken and force him to kill his family?
    He will integrate with Christie's self insert.
    What's the deal with Calia and light-raised Forsaken?
    Jaina will mention them. They reprogrammed Derek.
    Who is Bwonsamdi's boss?
    Papa N'zoth. He wanted to get Zandalar as his base for operations.
    Who brought Vol'jin back?
    Himself.
    What is Sylvanas' endgame?
    She wanted to destroy the Alliance, just that. N'zoth will kill her.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Ion himself brought GoT up early in BfA. Like he compared The Burning of Teldrassil to The Rains of Castamere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    S8 of GoT is the universal benchmark for terrible writing, but Blizzard's team is hard at work to rectify that.
    S8 of GoT was bad, but it's far from the universal benchmark. There is much, much worse writing than that.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    S8 of GoT was bad, but it's far from the universal benchmark. There is much, much worse writing than that.
    For instance WoW since 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Ion himself brought GoT up early in BfA. Like he compared The Burning of Teldrassil to The Rains of Castamere.
    Talking about hubris, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Talking about hubris, lol.
    Well, it's pretty obvious the devs think quite highly of themselves, devoid of humility or self reflection. That would only get in the way of their self glorification, and we can't have that, can we?

Honestly I only care about the shadowlands b-plot because my boys Vol'jin and KT are likely there doing more interesting stuff than anything BFA has come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Honestly I only care about the shadowlands b-plot because my boys Vol'jin and KT are likely there doing more interesting stuff than anything BFA has come up.
    I also think that this is the last interesting plot. So far everything else was quite disappointing.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

The problem that both stories have is that they build up a major antagonist, and they give them a pathetic end. Game of Thrones did this with the Night King, who was pretty much supposed to be the greatest threat the world has ever faced, so much so that the author GRRM compared him to the threat posed by climate change. And yet he dies in one episode in a most petty way, without accomplishing much, despite Hardhome estabilishing him as a terrible world-ending threat.

World of Warcraft did this with the Legion. They were built as the most powerful threat in the universe, and they even managed to win a great battle at the Broken Shore, but then it all went downhill from there. Gul'dan didn't do anything else, Kil'jaeden was wasted, the final boss was a random monster with hardly any backstory, and Sargeras didn't get the screentime that he deserved in my opinion. Don't even get me started on Archimonde...

If DnD were writing this expansion, N'Zoth will die in 8.3 by Sylvanas' hand. It will be revealed that N'Zoth truly was the only Old God still active, and that he was not planning to resurrect the other Old Gods and usher in the return of his empire (or some elaborate scheme like that), but just wanted to destroy everything. There will be no future Old God expansion, because this was supposed to be the major Old God expansion everyone was speculating about for years, and with N'Zoth's death, the Old Gods' story is finished once and for all.

Unfortunately, this actually sounds likely to happen...
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-07-07 at 05:02 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    The problem that both stories have is that they build up a major antagonist, and they give them a pathetic end. Game of Thrones did this with the Night King, who was pretty much supposed to be the greatest threat the world has ever faced, so much so that the author GRRM compared him to the threat posed by climate change. And yet he dies in one episode in a most petty way, without accomplishing much, despite Hardhome estabilishing him as a terrible world-ending threat.

World of Warcraft did this with the Legion. They were built as the most powerful threat in the universe, and they even managed to win a great battle at the Broken Shore, but then it all went downhill from there. Gul'dan didn't do anything else, Kil'jaeden was wasted, the final boss was a random monster with hardly any backstory, and Sargeras didn't get the screentime that he deserved in my opinion. Don't even get me started on Archimonde...

If DnD were writing this expansion, N'Zoth will die in 8.3 by Sylvanas' hand. It will be revealed that N'Zoth truly was the only Old God still active, and that he was not planning to resurrect the other Old Gods and usher in the return of his empire (or some elaborate scheme like that), but just wanted to destroy everything. There will be no future Old God expansion, because this was supposed to be the major Old God expansion everyone was speculating about for years, and with N'Zoth's death, the Old Gods' story is finished once and for all.

Unfortunately, this actually sounds likely to happen...
    I think for the first time, i actually agree with your entire post, nice

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    I also think that this is the last interesting plot. So far everything else was quite disappointing.
    Yep, the sentiment is widely shared by most of the playerbase. Also I take that over the unification over sjw soyboy Anduin
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

I thought WoD was the S8 of WoW. Terrible writing and half-ass product. BfA has terrible writing but it's nowhere near as half-assed or bad as WoD.

Yep, the sentiment is widely shared by most of the playerbase. Also I take that over the unification over sjw soyboy Anduin
    lol
    imagine being a regular poster on a forum for an mmo and unironically calling someone a soyboy

Quote Originally Posted by IIMPLOSIVO View Post
    lol
    imagine being a regular poster on a forum for an mmo and unironically calling someone a soyboy
    Hello new account with 1 post, nice to meet you. I take you are a fan of anduin, right?

Hello new account with 1 post, nice to meet you. I take you are a fan of anduin, right?
    I haven't kept up with the story for years so I'm not really a fan of anyone lol. I'm not here to defend any character, just wanted to point out how hilarious it is when a regular mmo poster uses a phrase like soyboy.
    Last edited by IIMPLOSIVO; 2019-07-08 at 01:04 AM.

If you say so, I guess. Same way as WoD was going to spell the death of the game? Your crystal ball is more like a tinfoil hat.
    At some point you really ought to grow tired and move on though, you've been spewing the same sentiment about the game for almost a decade by now.

Yep, the sentiment is widely shared by most of the playerbase.
    Citation needed. Actually, don't bother because you simply don't have access to such data.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I thought WoD was the S8 of WoW. Terrible writing and half-ass product. BfA has terrible writing but it's nowhere near as half-assed or bad as WoD.
    But S8 of Game of Thrones wasn't out then, and BfA happens to be the current expansion which is always "literally the worst".
    Wait until next expansion, or 5 expansions down the line, and people will still be using the "This will be the S8 GOT of WoW"-crap. The doom and gloom squad never was very original.

WoD has and always will carry the torch for the special olympics in game design among WoW iterations. It wasn't a case of "ooops players didn't like this let's cut it short!", it was never meant to be more than it was which is a shocking display of arrogance.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-07-08 at 01:12 AM.

Characters like Kil'jaeden and Sargeras has kind of already gotten the Night King treatment. Kil'jaeden had some badass moments in WC3 and TBC just like the Night King had in earlier seasons (loved how the NK went ''look at me bro imma raising ur friends'' in Hardhome). Then the final battle occurs and all we got are dissapointments.

At least GoT had very good writing in the first 4 seasons before it went downhill. WoW has always been jumpy with its quality, it was absolute shit in TBC, than actually great in WotLK, than crap again in Cata, than good again in MoP, than we got time travels... and the game hasn't recovered since then.

Also thanks for reminding me that awful GoT finale >.<