Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

You can't save the planet

Your "green" lifestyle barely makes a dent in the pollution that is caused by mega corporations.

Your protests don't change anything because money talks and the only thing that can change the behavior of said corporations are market forces.

You won't stop buying the goods produced by those corporations because they are essential to your comfortable lifestyle. Who wants go give up their comfort?

Your politicians won't do anything because they want to stay in office and mega corporations give them the money to run successful campaigns to win your votes. The fact that they are sponsored by the same corporations that are responsible for 99% of pollution will be conveniently swept under the rug and forgotten about and anyone trying to call them out on the fact will be branded a "conspiracy nutjob".

Just give in. Let it end.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, glad you got that off your chest ... what is the point we're discussing?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    That global warming/climate change is unstoppable, even sowing it down itsn't possible.

I mean whilst you have a point to some extent. What you're saying is just willfully ignorant.

Why bother trying to do anything that makes change for the better.... whats the point right? Of course it's hard, laborious, long winded and usually unsuccessful. Change happens all the time and in the end, no matter how long it takes it's something that the world and the corporations won't be able to ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nihilism, how new and exciting.
    /s

Have to counterbalance the naive fools who think that not using plastic bags and recycling waste will somehow save the planet.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Well, the planet doesn't need saving. Everyone is all about climate change, enviroment and such things. But guess what: The planet as a whole doesn't care about anything. Animals adapt or extinct, that was always happening. The only Problem is: Humans don't adapt anymore. The only one really suffering is mankind. It's not about saving the planet, it's about ensuring our survival. Because if we don't make it, the planet will go on. Other animals will show up, some more animals will die and maybe some time in the future, another intelligent life form will be the dominant species on this planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    All you’ve said is that YOU are unwilling to do anything. I, however, know that small contributions add up. Of course I know one person being green doesn’t equate to one “mega corporation”. No one believes that, so why say that? The problem is people like you who think that they have no part to play. If everyone thinks like that, then there is no change. So I’ll continue to “be green” whether you care or not. It saves me money too, so that’s a nice bonus.

Oh look who is feeling edgy today. Was it time to make a flame-bait post in GenOT for a change compared to GenWow?

Besides there are plenty of movements that started smal and became mainstream later on. So put the razor blades down and behave like an adult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    I guess the salient point to be made is whether it is constructive to put Wilfire on ignore?
    That offers some short term relief, but it simply plays along with the forum becoming a series of blog posts from wannabe social influencers rather than a place for discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire
    Have to counterbalance the naive fools who think that not using plastic bags and recycling waste will somehow save the planet.
    Do we really need something as overarching as saving the planet to care? Personally, I favor attempts to reduce the use of plastic bags because I don't like seeing trees filled with shredding plastic bags. The same can be said for recycling, I just don't see a point to being wasteful. I don't see myself as particularly "Green" or saving the planet, but I do tend to load purchases into my backpack so I don't have stacks of plastic bags that have to be thrown out, and having a more pleasant view in the winter is a nice bonus. [Beijing and much of China cracked down on plastic bags years ago and it has made a visible difference, especially in winter]
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We are not going to stop global warming. But we can reduce the amount of air, ground and water pollution, which does effect the health of all species on the Earth.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Yeah, it'd be a terrible shame if we attempted to make things better.

Edgy, whiny, defeatist..... chapo/bernie/fratbro?

10+ Year Old Account
    The planet doesn't need saving. The human race does. And since the majority of the human race doesn't give two shits about anyone else on the planet besides themselves, there is nothing worth saving.

The planet was doing fine before we existed, and will be doing just fine after we are extinct.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    We aren't trying to save the planet, the planet will out last us. We are trying to maintain it so the planet remains a hospitable place for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I guess the salient point to be made is whether it is constructive to put Wilfire on ignore?
    Ohh, that's who made this post. I have him on ignore and running the script that makes ignored posters comment unseen. Yeah, you should.

This thread isn't going to get your plastic bags to come back at your local stores. You may not like people trying to make a difference but telling the mega corporations that you have no problem with them being shitheads isn't going to make your life easier either.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Ohh, that's who made this post. I have him on ignore and running the script that makes ignored posters comment unseen. Yeah, you should.
    I have 3 rules when it comes to those on my ignore list.

1. Do not read threads created by anyone on my list.
    2. Do not respond to a post of someone who is not on my list to someone who is.
    3. Do not respond to any comment which mentions anyone on my ignore list.

Threat it like they do not exist on here and it works great.

And the OP has not committed any of the reasons for me to put him on ignore. Maybe he has for you in the past or we have different reasons to put someone on ignore.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Luckily my approach is not the liberal one you assume OP.
    I don't know if I can save humanity's place in the planet, but watch me try.

Do we really need something as overarching as saving the planet to care? Personally, I favor attempts to reduce the use of plastic bags because I don't like seeing trees filled with shredding plastic bags. The same can be said for recycling, I just don't see a point to being wasteful. I don't see myself as particularly "Green" or saving the planet, but I do tend to load purchases into my backpack so I don't have stacks of plastic bags that have to be thrown out, and having a more pleasant view in the winter is a nice bonus. [Beijing and much of China cracked down on plastic bags years ago and it has made a visible difference, especially in winter]
    I agree, but plastic and plastic bags are EVERYWHERE. Its not just the bags you get from shopping, but the little plastic bags that wrap all kinds of consumer products and foods. Add to that the plastic from cigarette filters that smokers carelessly toss on the ground. It isnt just the planet, but wildlife that get caught, eat, or use less insulating litter material for nests.

Our problem is that there are many people who litter and those who are responsible and dispose of it properly cant be sure that their refuse ends up in the correct location or actually recycled as we believed.
    Kara Swisher: What do you think about Cory Booker saying kick them in the shins?
    Hillary Clinton: Well, that was Eric Holder.
    Kara Swisher: Eric Holder, oh, Eric Holder, sorry.
    Hillary Clinton: Yeah, I know they all look alike.