Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The Jailer is in fact imprisoned there, his link to his minions are very vague, but from how the Primus talks about it, the implication I get is that the Jailer didnt always have control over the denizens of the Maw until fairly recently, or at least not enough to do much more than torture them.

Whether the Jailer was given "control" of the Maw before or after he was imprisoned is also left up to debate.

The specific words the Primus uses is that "[The Jailer] has fashioned his chains into weapons."
    So, if the Jailer follows the criminal epithome....then the Jailer is Mugatu? and Todd is Sylvanas?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    He's right that there's absolutely no possibility a new class is going to be named "tinker", not in 2020. The name alone is too much associated with both silliness/silly business/jokes/shenanigans and mild bigotry (typically towards Irish Travellers - it's not a major issue but it's just another reason to avoid it) to really fly as a whole new class name (rather than an occasionally-used term or verb).
    The fact that they have no problem literally using it as a leadership title rather clearly shows that Blizzard does not agree with you at all. Besides, the best way to get rid of said bigotry is redefining the term as something positive. Abandoning one because somebody is using it as an insult never helps.

Besides, the class name is probably the least important part here and has pretty much nothing to do with my previous comment.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The fact that they have no problem literally using it as a leadership title rather clearly shows that Blizzard does not agree with you at all. Besides, the best way to get rid of said bigotry is redefining the term as something positive. Abandoning one because somebody is using it as an insult never helps.

Besides, the class name is probably the least important part here and has pretty much nothing to do with my previous comment.
    Okay, but some of the discussion seemed to be specifically about it being called "tinker", and even if the class happens, there's just no way it's called that.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Okay, but some of the discussion seemed to be specifically about it being called "tinker", and even if the class happens, there's just no way it's called that.
    now you say taht but given their track record i do not doubt it would be the name of the class

strange name for what is essentially a dragon knight

Based on what? Your gut feeling? Blizzard clearly doesn't have any problems with the name.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Based on what? Your gut feeling? Blizzard clearly doesn't have any problems with the name.
    Did you like, miss some posts?

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    now you say taht but given their track record i do not doubt it would be the name of the class

strange name for what is essentially a dragon knight
    ??? Which class in WoW is a "dragon knight"?
    "A youtuber said so."

No, you just never gave any actual explanation of why it couldn't be called that other than your conjecture that is already contraindicated by Blizzard's use of the term.

??? Which class in WoW is a "dragon knight"?
    which class is a tinker in wow??

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, you just never gave any actual explanation of why it couldn't be called that other than your conjecture that is already contraindicated by Blizzard's use of the term.
    I explained upthread.

- - - Updated - - -

which class is a tinker in wow??
    Wtf are you talking about man? You said "strange name for what is essentially a dragon knight".
    "A youtuber said so."

I explained upthread.
    Now you're going in circles. That's the conjecture i was talking about, not an explanation since it doesn't mesh with the reality that Tinker is used ingame for this kind of occupation already.
    Last edited by huth; 2020-11-04 at 12:40 PM.

I explained upthread.

- - - Updated - - -

Wtf are you talking about man? You said "strange name for what is essentially a dragon knight".
    the next class

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now you're going in circles. That's the conjecture i was talking about, not an explanation since it doesn't mesh with the reality that Tinker is used ingame for this kind of occupation already.
    How many characters in WoW are described as "tinkers", and how many as engineers, sappers, pilots and so on?

AFAIK, you have basically one example - Mekkatorque.

You seem to think because he exists, Blizzard will use a lame and unevocative name for a class, name which will make no sense to most people hearing it (whereas Death Knight and Demon Hunter both conjure up strong ideas). Blizzard have never, AFAIK, given a class a lame name. I don't think they're going to start now. "Tinker" isn't a "fantasy" people have. Engineer is, as are a bunch of other things. But not "Tinker". A tinker is just a weakass word for an inventor (or possibly the guy who sharpens your knives in his hand-drawn cart), one that suggests incompetence and fiddling.

- - - Updated - - -

the next class
    Oh. I don't think many people think that's the next class, but okay. It could be a mail class I guess, but the ideas about how it would work and be differentiated from other classes are even more vague.
    "A youtuber said so."

How many characters in WoW are described as "tinkers", and how many as engineers, sappers, pilots and so on?

AFAIK, you have basically one example - Mekkatorque.

You seem to think because he exists, Blizzard will use a lame and unevocative name for a class, name which will make no sense to most people hearing it (whereas Death Knight and Demon Hunter both conjure up strong ideas). Blizzard have never, AFAIK, given a class a lame name. I don't think they're going to start now. "Tinker" isn't a "fantasy" people have. Engineer is, as are a bunch of other things. But not "Tinker". A tinker is just a weakass word for an inventor (or possibly the guy who sharpens your knives in his hand-drawn cart), one that suggests incompetence and fiddling.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh. I don't think many people think that's the next class, but okay. It could be a mail class I guess, but the ideas about how it would work and be differentiated from other classes are even more vague.
    Who would hear Demon Hunter and immediately think of shirtless dual glaive wielding blind barbarians? Most people I imagine imagine them more like hunters and what have you.

The name tinker is not the most widely known, but the class has a firm footing in WoW since Goblins and Gnomes were added to the game way back in Warcraft.

The class would play like what one might think if you said "Steampunk mechsuit". Lots of cool gadgets, explosives and guns. Maybe making more robots. You could have a healer spec that heals using robots, a tank spec that just tanks hits in his giant mech, and a DPS spec that focuses on making turrets and what have you.

Again, we just had Mekkatorque with a prominent raid boss fight where we had him do wacky stuff like explosive sheep, placing bombs and generally flying around in a kickass mechsuit. And before that we have had several bosses that did the same. Siegecrafter Blackfuse in MoP for instance.
    Saying there is no basis for the spec, or no fantasy it fulfills is just disingenous.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The name tinker is not the most widely known, but the class has a firm footing in WoW since Goblins and Gnomes were added to the game way back in Warcraft.
    Don't forget http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutr...intinker.shtml

Does anyone know if we're actually getting the Doomwalker world boss in Tanaris?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Does anyone know if we're actually getting the Doomwalker world boss in Tanaris?
    We are not. More likely it will show up next year when/if the Classic BC servers are announced.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

15+ Year Old Account
    How many characters in WoW are described as "tinkers", and how many as engineers, sappers, pilots and so on? AFAIK, you have basically one example - Mekkatorque.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Tinker

It was even the name of a WC3 unit. There is nothing stopping the class from being called "Tinker" if Blizzard wants to call it that. It exists as a basic concept in game. Tinker isn't a fantasy you have. You are the one with a hang up on a word. You are the one that see's it as incompetence and fiddling which is likely why you pushed the racial slur nature of the word.

Heck Blizzard used it as an April Fool's joke in WC3 but it was so popular it become real. The problem with it is you, not the game, name, or fantasy.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Actually, considering the secretive "infinity" stuff thats going around in Shadowlands (as well as the nebulous Infinite Dragonflight tie-in), what's the over and under on the Jailer actually being a late-timeline version of an existing character?

Remember the Aman'thul speculation?

All I know is that Blizzard should stay away from time-travel shenanigans like Murozond and WoD. 99% of the community doesn't understand them, the writers probably don't understand them either, they are not needed nor welcomed.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    All I know is that Blizzard should stay away from time-travel shenanigans like Murozond and WoD. 99% of the community doesn't understand them, the writers probably don't understand them either, they are not needed nor welcomed.
    Time travel is not a bad concept, never is but when you put them in a spot where you well give WoD not the proper time for the story to flow yeah of course its gonna annoy people. People don't talk about time travel as being the biggest issue of WoD, like thats the last on the list.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi