Exact layering mechanics

In preparation for launch I would really love some details about layering.

Main question I have: when I invite a friend to trade him some cloth at like lvl 10, if he leaves the party again after trading, will he remain on my layer forever/until logging off for a while?

I kinda want to make sure I get ahead and getting more friends in "my" layer wouldn't help with that.

Aka, when joining a layer by grouping up, will the phasing be permanent or does each character have a 'default' layer assigned that they phase back to after leaving the party.

My understanding is that you phase back to your layer if you leave a group.

Layers are permanent and assigned at character (or maybe account?) creation. You can only change layers for the duration you are in a group with players from another layer.

It's hard to say. What we do know is that they want everyone from the same guild to stay on the same layer. Also, when invited to a group, that party will be on the same layer. But they also announced a stacking cooldown for switching layers so that it can not be abused as easily for farming world nodes. I dont think anyone knows the exact answer to your question because there are a lot of variables.

Afaik tho, if they are not in a guild, that person you invited will stay on your layer after they leave. Layers are dynamic, and you are not assigned one. But if that person is in a guild, I cant 100% say what would happen. I really dont think it matters tho.

It's extremely relevant at launch, understanding the layering system can be an enormous advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    It's extremely relevant at launch, understanding the layering system can be an enormous advantage.
    When I said it wont matter, I was referring to your comment about keeping 1 "friend " off of "your" layer. Layers are continent wide, based off of a regular realm population size. So unless they change it, it will be roughly 3k per layer. Ppl will be inviting others, or new ppl logging on being assigned to "your" layer. Knowing if 1 person will stay on your layer after leaving group is extremely insignificant for "getting ahead"