Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

ICE Raids in Mississippi Take in over 600

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/07/74924...eds-of-workers

Federal immigration officials raided several food-processing plants in Mississippi on Wednesday and arrested approximately 680 people believed to be working in the U.S. without authorization.

The coordinated raids were conducted by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations "at seven agricultural processing plants across Mississippi," according to an ICE statement. In addition to the arrests, agents seized company business records.

More than 600 ICE agents were involved in the raids, surrounding the perimeters of the targeted plants to prevent workers, mainly Latino immigrants, from escaping. The actions were centered on plants near Jackson owned by five companies, according to The Associated Press.

One of the plants is owned by Koch Foods Inc., which bills itself as one of the largest poultry processors in the U.S. with more than 13,000 employees. Forbes ranks it as the 135th largest privately held company in the country, with an estimated $3.2 billion in annual revenue, according to Fortune.

Another plant raided Wednesday is in Canton, Miss., and is owned by Peco Foods Inc., based in Tuscaloosa, Ala. It is the eighth-largest poultry producer in the U.S., according to the company's website.

No representatives for either company responded to an email request or telephone call for comment.

The arrested workers were bused to a local Mississippi National Guard hangar, where they were interviewed about their immigration status, including whether they already had deportation orders.

"Today's raids are part of the ongoing war against immigrant families and the communities in which they live," Julia Solórzano, an attorney with the Southern Poverty Law Center, said in an emailed statement. "It is especially sickening that days after immigrants were targeted by a gunman in El Paso, Texas, workers at plants across Mississippi witnessed armed agents descending on their workplace.
    The raids are stupid and punish the most vulnerable people simply for being hired by multi billion dollar companies. Where are the heavy fines and heavy punishment for these companies bringing illegals? Several companies in NC used to bus back and forth illegals and in the end they got deported with no real repercussions for the company.

The other issue is that this just ends up costing taxpayers more money and increases the likelihood of criminality. Consider what happens to a family when their parents are illegal but they're not? Well this means the kids will be taken into the foster system, a system where children are more likely to be raped and killed many times over a child who is at home.

So now we'll have to deal with foster children, government taxpayers dollars going to this all to deport families, while the company gets a slap on the wrist, and busses in a few hundred more illegals in a few months?

Obama never went for non-criminal families, it just doesn't make sense. it costs more money, it punishes the wrong people, and you end up forcing kids into bad situations where they can come out more likely to be criminals. All around bad.

Companies that do this should be forced to pay a workers' yearly wage to the government per illegal employee as a fine.

Yeah I suppose the adults are totally innocent. They only refused to comply with our rules in immigrating here and knowingly drug their kids along for the ride. Darn those big corporations for forcing people to cross our border!

Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    Yeah I suppose the adults are totally innocent. They only refused to comply with our rules in immigrating here and knowingly drug their kids along for the ride. Darn those big corporations for forcing people to cross our border!
    So you feel that the only people that should be punished are the workers not the companies that bus them sometimes hundreds of miles to factories knowing full well that they're illegal?

The fact is IT IS NOT PRAGMATIC It fucks up the lives of their american children and ends up costing us a lot more money than it would to just let them be.

They should have bused them to the national guard hanger and made them American Citizens.
    I have no issue with deportation as a general concept, but people at work don't deserve deportation, they deserve a path to citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Companies that do this should be forced to pay a workers' yearly wage to the government per illegal employee as a fine.
    I still like this idea, though. It's important to discourage companies from engaging in this activity.

I still like this idea, though. It's important to discourage companies from engaging in this activity.
    Yet your first go to reply had nothing to do with that.

Somehow the wealthy owners of these businesses are never punished with jail time.

It's really crazy that Republicans claim to hate illegal immigration, but the simple solution would be targeting the people that employee them. For some reason Republicans don't want to do that....
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-08-08 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    They should have bused them to the national guard hanger and made them American Citizens.
    I have no issue with deportation as a general concept, but people at work don't deserve deportation, they deserve a path to citizenship.
    My stances are quite basic.

I don't want open borders, good thing literally no one wants open borders!

I want taxpayer money to be used optimally. Which means deporting families because they're illegal and working... is a fucking no no.
    1. if they're working but illegal that means they're likely entitled to, but not getting a tax refund.

2. putting children in foster care cost taxpayers and increase the likeliness of abuse, and criminality which... leads to an increase in crime.

3. It does not achieve anything, if we want corporations to stop hiring illegals well.. make them pay fines. 100k-200k per illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Somehow the wealthy owners of these business are never punished with jail time.

It's really crazy that Republicans claim to hate illegal immigration, but the simple solution would be targeting the people that employee them. For some reason Republicans don't want to do that....

Well that's because they're the ones often employing them to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The fact is IT IS NOT PRAGMATIC It fucks up the lives of their american children and ends up costing us a lot more money than it would to just let them be.
    I think constantly thinking of everything in terms pure monetary impact is pretty pointless. Not everything can be measured in terms of money, and openly advertising that it's okay to circumvent our rules because "it costs more to enforce the law" is pretty dangerous.

It's not just the cost of deporting them. Not deporting them incurs a greater cost to our society in terms of financial impact (yes, I realize the irony after what I just said) and potential demographic and cultural impact.

I think constantly thinking of everything in terms pure monetary impact is pretty pointless. Not everything can be measured in terms of money, and openly advertising that it's okay to circumvent our rules because "it costs more to enforce the law" is pretty dangerous.

It's not just the cost of deporting them. Not deporting them incurs a greater cost to our society in terms of financial impact (yes, I realize the irony after what I just said) and potential demographic and cultural impact.
    Demographic and cultural impact? Are you parroting the terrorist right now???

10+ Year Old Account

The bit in bold is, explicitly and exclusively, white supremacist bullshit.

Being in the USA without documentation is a civil infringement. Like jaywalking. Cops don't need to be raiding homes and breaking up families because of jaywalkers, right? If they're working, help them get a green card. Works out best for everyone.

And yes, like others have said, punish the employers, who are creating the labor market that attracts them. There's next to no illegal immigration in Canada, because Revenue Canada back-checks things like payroll and SIN use and all that, and it's nearly impossible to get away with employing people under the table. They'll notice the "missing" money and audit your books, even if you're just a couple who hired a nanny.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-08-08 at 04:07 PM.

Oh okay here comes the White Genocide rant?

10+ Year Old Account
    He says while advocating that the government do nothing to enforce the border or punish people who violate the border.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    He says while advocating that the government do nothing to enforce the border or punish people who violate the border.
    Not something Themius said, at any point in his post.

Why are you making up horseshit and pretending Themius said it? While quoting him refuting your claim?

I seriously don't think you people understand what "open borders" even means. I backpacked across Europe before the EU was a thing; I crossed international borders something like 10 or 11 times in that trip. Mostly on trains. The border check was a border officer walking down the train, checking and stamping passports. That's it. Those borders weren't "open". You can tell, because they checked passports.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-08-08 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    If you did that you'd notice all of a sudden how Republicans no longer support enforcing immigration laws.

So yeah... let's go for it.
    It's not about partisanship. It's about fixing a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not something Themius said, at any point in his post.

Why are you making up horseshit and pretending Themius said it? While quoting him refuting your claim?
    He literally said that the government should 'just let them be'...

My stances are quite basic.

I want taxpayer money to be used optimally. Which means deporting families because they're illegal and working... is a fucking no no.
    1. if they're working but illegal that means they're likely entitled to, but not getting a tax refund.

2. putting children in foster care cost taxpayers and increase the likeliness of abuse, and criminality which... leads to an increase in crime.

3. It does not achieve anything, if we want corporations to stop hiring illegals well.. make them pay fines. 100k-200k per illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's because they're the ones often employing them to begin with.
    This is rubbing me the wrong way. Why does it suddenly make it okay to let them be simply because they're working? They're barely paying taxes to begin with, given that these are typically not high quality people (which is easily explained by the fact that they refuse to follow rules). You seem to be wanting a flex tape solution, slapping fines on corporations for hiring these folks. Wouldn't it be more useful to ensure they don't come here in the first place?

Can't hire illegals if there aren't illegals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Oh okay here comes the White Genocide rant?
    Well I didn't specify a race at all, but if you'd like to impugn false motives, be my guest.

Well I didn't specify a race at all, but if you'd like to impugn false motives, be my guest.
    Then what do you mean by demographics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Worrying about "demographic or cultural impact" is a bullshit position that only ethno-nationalists take. Feel free to debate exactly what flavor of ethno-nationalism it is that you support, but you don't get to claim that you aren't ethno-nationalist.