Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Star Wars: Disney deliberately destroyed old characters/universe for royalties

TLDR: When George Lucas sold the Star Wars rights he kept some percentage of the royalties for the merchandise based on the old trillogies. Disney doesn't get anything from selling Solo, Leia or Luke figurines/stuff. But anything new they create belong to them and they get the merchandise money. So they literally destroyed the old characters to lower the interest for them and boost the sells based on the new characters. For context if you think they wouldn't do that to your favorite movie for money: SW merchandise alone (excluding movie revenue etc) generates 1,5 billion dollar per year. Yeah, they would.
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2019-08-12 at 01:52 PM.

Star wars is already lost.

I dont see much point thinking about what is being done to it since its already wasted in hands of disney.

This a wholly stupid theory.

It doesn't benefit them to "destroy" the old characters in anyway. In fact, all it would do is hurt the franchise overall. They are making earnest efforts to make good movies. This conspiracy crap is just that...conspricay crap.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Well it'll backfire because at its most popular, people care more about the Skywalkers and Han Solo. What will be left won't make them as much money as they might think it will.

So Disney invented time to age Mark Hamill, travelled back to the 70s and incepted the hatred of Han Solo into Harrison Ford then, darkest of all, killed Carrie Fisher and Peter Mayhew? Did they also use their Force persuade powers to get Lucas to kill Vader, the Emperor, Kenobi and Yoda in the original trilogy so they couldn't feature in the newest films?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The Star Wars fanbase is fucking scary.
    Sadly, there are worse ones.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    So Disney invented time to age Mark Hamill, travelled back to the 70s and incepted the hatred of Han Solo into Harrison Ford then, darkest of all, killed Carrie Fisher and Peter Mayhew? Did they also use their Force persuade powers to get Lucas to kill Vader, the Emperor, Kenobi and Yoda in the original trilogy so they couldn't feature in the newest films?
    Not only all of this, but they created the coolest goddamn Darth Vader scene in the entire saga at the end of Rogue One, made an ENTIRE FUCKING MOVIE about Han Solo, and they resurrected the Emperor for Episode IX.

But yes, they are intentionally killing the "old" universe.

Morons.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

10+ Year Old Account
    Did this really need it's own thread? If you're looking to hate on Disney Wars, there's already three or four threads you could have posted this in...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    I don’t think it was a conspiracy as much as the original trilogy, and only episodes 4 & 5, was lightning in a bottle once in a lifetime thing. I mean come on, they went one movie without a Death Star and used teddy bears....

The first trilogy blew, 7 & 8 have been awful. The only good SW movie made since Empire was Rogue One.

Face it, it’s an impossible to top story and the “universe” is not that deep. Once you get beyond Vader and Skywalker (Now both dead/gone.) and their supporting cast no one new is able to carry the franchise.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Star wars is already lost.

I dont see much point thinking about what is being done to it since its already wasted in hands of disney.
    If the holiday special and Jar Jar didn't kill Star Wars nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post

It doesn't benefit them to "destroy" the old characters in anyway. In fact, all it would do is hurt the franchise overall. They are making earnest efforts to make good movies. This conspiracy crap is just that...conspricay crap.
    that is exactly what they did and it's obvious because this company is all about money.
    they wanted to sell new toys.
    Last edited by Soimu; 2019-08-12 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Maybe. However Midnight's Edge is a well known and reliable source for Star Trek and Star Wars behind the scenes truths (so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    I don’t think it was a conspiracy as much as the original trilogy, and only episodes 4 & 5, was lightning in a bottle once in a lifetime thing. I mean come on, they went one movie without a Death Star and used teddy bears....

The first trilogy blew, 7 & 8 have been awful. The only good SW movie made since Empire was Rogue One.

Face it, it’s an impossible to top story and the “universe” is not that deep. Once you get beyond Vader and Skywalker (Now both dead/gone.) and their supporting cast no one new is able to carry the franchise.
    7 was alright, just went in a bit heavy with nostalgia scenes. Solo was pretty good too. Only 8 has been a hot mess (like DC level bad) with the nonsense plan and way-off pacing, but it still had at least one memorable scene.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    TLDR: When George Lucas sold the Star Wars rights he kept some percentage of the royalties for the merchandise based on the old trillogies. Disney doesn't get anything from selling Solo, Leia or Luke figurines/stuff. But anything new they create belong to them and they get the merchandise money. So they literally destroyed the old characters to lower the interest for them and boost the sells based on the new characters. For context if you think they wouldn't do that to your favorite movie for money: SW merchandise alone (excluding movie revenue etc) generates 1,5 billion dollar per year. Yeah, they would.
    Disney is contemptible, but this theory is simply laughable.

The actors are simply getting very old (one has died in case you didn't notice), so they simply wanted to wrap up their stories before they all kicked the bucket. New characters needed to be introduced no matter what.

In the same vein, the flat earth theory and moon landing theory are BS too.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post

It's not about the success of the movies, but about how they treated the old cast. “Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to.” as Kylo Ren said. And they did.

I could see that but talk about missing the mark.

Star Wars went from THE cultural nerd thug, to dead in a single decade of Disney ownership

How they managed to kill Star Wars so fast would be impressive if I was rooting against them. I’m still in disbelief over how bad TLJ was

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it is Disney, some of the money isn't good enough, they want ALL of the money...

Because being one of the most powerful and influential corporations in the world isn't big enough.... If Disney wanted they would have their own country and just call it Disney. The future is run by corporations, not by our leaders. Unfortunately there's no cap on power and Disney are quickly rising as one. In the entertainment world at least. :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-08-12 at 02:34 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Or you know people get old and can't do action movies at 60 years old when they are not in shape. And maybe asking for another decade of movies out of three 60 year olds is too much to ask. As to killing off characters Ford asked to be killed off so he wouldn't have to do any more movies. Don't blame Disney for that. Carrie died. Oops. And Luke's a force ghost so umm no your argument makes no sense. Fact is kids ain't going to buy toys of old dudes in their 60's. Kids cannot relate which is why the first star wars and every other star wars has a young cast.

They're owned by the shareholders

buy disney stock if you want your cut!

i'll add, i like that they've added new characters and killed off the old ones. Star wars was OLD. and we need new characters unless we're just gonna see Han and Leia at the retirement home, or other silly junk.

fresh blood!

though i don't find many of the new characters very interesting, yet...

looking back after watching the older SW movies, the character development is quite shallow for most of them. the newer movies are a bit better in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    that is exactly what they did and it's obvious because this company is all about money.
    they wanted to sell new toys.
    Again, that makes literally no sense.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown