Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It works the other way around too. I'm 38, and all my friends have kids, and all their kids love the new Star Wars. And, unlike my generation, that includes the girls, who adore Rey. Meanwhile, whenever we try and show them the old ones, they don't like them. They seem too slow, and too old. They don't have the initial connection we did, so they judge it for what it is in a 2019 lens. One of my friend's kids especially thought it pretty cheap that they killed Obi Wan off in one movie, only to bring him back in ESB as a ghost. He was 7 at the time, and he said, "That's stupid, why kill him if he needs to teach more to Luke?"

Kids are kind of a trip these days. The same kid, a few years later, went into End Game having read all the spoilers on Reddit at the age of 10, and just basically MST3K it the whole time, pointing out the flaws and inconsistencies of a movie he had never seen before.
    True enough 32 here, i also don't envy their position. Older movies were slower but it didn't bother me because it was a fun experience you watched it because you wanted to watch it and take your time for it.Things are also dragged in today's movies but instead of scenery shots (LOTR did this rather well at times) you get pointless conversation or action scenes. Pretty sure people who liked the new blade runner don't like the old one, although both are rather slow.

We come from a before internet era were spoilers weren't as common. The worst that could happen was that someone saw it before you on a school day and started talking about it, now you have the whole internet you need to avoid to learn the ending. People shouting spoilers in an online game global chat.

A whole different era, bit off topic but i say we can be lucky that we experienced all of that, including how politically incorrect things could be and yet still not seem offensive.

IDK, I'm Indian, and the first time I saw Temple of Doom in the 80s, I was like: wow, this is a fucked up view of Indian people. I was like 7.

It affected people, just maybe not white people, or white men.

For the record: I've never eaten a monkey's brains.

Nah, Disney is destroying star wars by hiring shit directors. It's a great IP that has more than enough reason to be as big as the MCU if they actually got people who cared about the properties on it (Filoni). Franchise fatigue isn't a factor, it's poor direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

IDK, I'm Indian, and the first time I saw Temple of Doom in the 80s, I was like: wow, this is a fucked up view of Indian people. I was like 7.

You should check out brie larsons new movie basmati blues. She's a scientist that goes to India and helps all the rice eaters living in shacks to understand how big business works and they teach her the importance of family/culture and how to cook rice without a lab. You'll be enriched

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post

TLDR: When George Lucas sold the Star Wars rights he kept some percentage of the royalties for the merchandise based on the old trillogies. Disney doesn't get anything from selling Solo, Leia or Luke figurines/stuff. But anything new they create belong to them and they get the merchandise money. So they literally destroyed the old characters to lower the interest for them and boost the sells based on the new characters. For context if you think they wouldn't do that to your favorite movie for money: SW merchandise alone (excluding movie revenue etc) generates 1,5 billion dollar per year. Yeah, they would.
    classic JJ move

he and his ilk did the same to star trek

he's on a genocidal path targeting great american IP

Yeah, its not that things didn't seem offensive then, its that people spoke up about it less.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    RETORT: And the people that make billion dollar movie ticket buyers say...

WHO?
    There's no accounting for taste. Money doesn't equal quality content.