Poll: Adventurer or big champion?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Will - at some point - our characters will become the Final Boss?

7+ Year Old Account
    If we're not canon in this story, I don't see a reason to be a champion of the horde/alliance. It would imply you have a key role to this story, but whenever we do a raid, we don't get credit. The off chance we do get credit, it's not directly us, it's just "A group of heroes"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    I like both. The former in early stages of the game when you haven't yet done anything significant and established any connections, and the latter in later stages when you're ready to tackle more serious threats alongside important story characters.

It could be done with a time skip. Put is in "stasis" for a decade or so and let the world change enough for us to lose any significance. This would let is start from scratch, but require another world revamp (which I'm all for tbh).
    But that would require a time skip..... And then we might aswell do a WoW 2.0 Which i am all for btw, but that is not what we are talking about.

If we are to talk about the next expansion, we have to see our characters as the people they are now, and you can't go completly back. I just want us to matter a little bit less, making space for new NPCs to shine.

.....But now that you are talking about, i got a new idea: What if we are shamed? What if the player characters are seen doing something bad, given the blame for, lets say N'zoths rising or lose to Sylvanas when we finally fight her. The players are then brought down, demoted to something less important and suddenly there is room for us to grow again. We would not start from stratch, but we would have to rebuild ourselfs as the heroes
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Champions for sure, if Blizzard manages to tell the story like FF14 does.

That way we can be champions, npcs can shine and hell, we even care about the npcs because our characters make a bound with them

Adventurer.

The Champion, Commander shit is cringe-y

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Blizzard is trying to tell an epic story. I don't want to be an adventurer in an epic story, I want to be a champion. If they could scale down their stories it would work, but being an adventurer that just fights in an army alongside NPCs who hog the glory does not work for me.
    Do u really feel like a champion though? Millions of other players do the same thing as u. And saurfang went and got thrall, not the so called champion. As much as they call u champion, ur really just an adventurer. The story and feel of the game would just feel better if they treated u like an adventurer instead of trying to force the champion title.

7+ Year Old Account
    1. MMORPGs should have choices in them, make it a player choice.

2. if you ask me LEAVE THE BIG MOMENTS TO THE LORE CHARACTERS... then keep the player adventurers away from the big shiny lights... it feels so bad when everyone are the leader of the Class Order Halls or.... VOL'JIN... calls you COMMANDER!!! even if you just want to be a lonewolf....

Story and the way it goes should never be pushed on players...

To me Chioce should be a core thing in an MMORPG

PS: one of the best reasons classic will be amazing is beacuse of these chioces... no one forces you to do Garrisons or Class order halls... DON'T MISTAKE ME... I LOVED IDEA OF GARRISONS AND CLASS ORDER HALL... but they where implemented in a very bad way forcing everyone to do them... in the end ofc most people get board of them...
    -

One Learns most when Teaching others!

I wouldn't mind if my Queen Talanji calls me her Champion and neither from Rokhan or any darkspear when I play with my hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

What bothers me the most is that as a Champion....you are everybody's Champion. I would, for example, chose to be the Champion of a certain faction, if they would have me...but constantly be declared the champion of EVERYTHING is not only tiring...its cheap. It robs the word of any meaning. In a world where there are more champions for more causes than one can count...there are no champions or causes worth talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I preferred the days where I was just an adventurer or mercenary. I feel like there is room in that universe to be apart of big stories without being The™ fucking champion of everything. Like, you took down a big baddie... as a joint effort with everyone else. Your raid in ICC was just one of many teams.

I don't like that the storyline treats you like some massive hero now and all the NPCs laud you like some kind of diety. It part because there's no where to go from here but make it more and more extreme every expansion, when it already feels ridiculous. I think it was a story misstep from the beginning to go down that path rather than emphasise accomplishments in Azeroth as a joint effort from all PCs.

I don't take lore seriously, but I do appreciate story in game and escalating godliness is not interesting or immersive to me.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

We've always been more of a "champion" I think due to our allegiance and ranks in the faction army. Adventurer implies total murder-hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    I like both. The former in early stages of the game when you haven't yet done anything significant and established any connections, and the latter in later stages when you're ready to tackle more serious threats alongside important story characters.

It could be done with a time skip. Put us in "stasis" for a decade or so and let the world change enough for us to lose any significance. This would let us start from scratch, but require another world revamp (which I'm all for tbh).
    There is precedence for this. The Klaxxi hid their strongest in amber for centuries until they were needed again. That would be kind of cool.

Better remove raids and dungeons then if you wanna just be an adventurer. The very first dungeon/raid your char had done would have gotten them named. Hell the first zone whose missions you had completed would have had you known and named.

Would be interesting if you could do an expansion where you just watch Lore figures take down the bad guys and you are just a grunt/soldier killing the enemies minions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well...for the progression of the story, we can't just be Adventurers forever...but we can be Adventurers again.

Just want to be a soldier of the Horde killing Alliance and other enemies.
    I dont need to be the big champion that needs to save the day in the story i rather support lore characters that actually matter in the lore.

I hate being called a champion and told to run to my death towards an impossible foe. Fortunately, since Cata, there's been more of an attempt to get some help from the leaders against said baddie in the fight...but most of the time they don't come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    You can't just delete 15 years of progression our characters had. At this point we are a high ranking members of our respective factions mingling with kings and faction leaders, you can't just be some random ass adventurer at that point anymore.

If you think frikkin' galloping straight into Stormwind keep's throne room on your mount and casually chatting with the High King as some random hobo adventurer is "immersion", I don't know what to say there.
    Same for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Better remove raids and dungeons then if you wanna just be an adventurer. The very first dungeon/raid your char had done would have gotten them named. Hell the first zone whose missions you had completed would have had you known and named.
    It doesn't have to be that way though. It isn't a choice between "nameless nobody" on one side and Tyrion's successor carrying Ashbringer and being exalted by paladins everywhere on the other.

You could easily have credit for participating in these critical story events without being THE person that did it. The game just needed to have framed and emphasised things more in a group context, putting players as heroes but heroes among other heroes. Yes, you killed Deathwing. You and a bunch of other heroic Azerothians along with the help of Thrall and Dragons and whatever the fuck those other NPCs were. So you've done great things, but you did them with a lot of other people who also helped, so you're not that special.

That's really all they had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    You can't just delete 15 years of progression our characters had. At this point we are a high ranking members of our respective factions mingling with kings and faction leaders, you can't just be some random ass adventurer at that point anymore.

If you think frikkin' galloping straight into Stormwind keep's throne room on your mount and casually chatting with the High King as some random hobo adventurer is "immersion", I don't know what to say there.
    No, you can't undo it now, and that's part of the problem. Once they went down that road, not only can't you backtrack on it, but to top it each expansion you have to get increasingly ridiculous and unbelievable. Immersive to me is "I'm an adventurerer who signs up to fight againsts the baddies of the universe" because that feels more believable. Them trying to sell me on being some kind of god tier individual who single handedly saved the world isn't, and the more they pile it on, the less special it feels.

So, yeah, you can't turn around and make us average joes now and have it make any sense at all in the world, but I feel pretty strongly it was a huge misstep to go that direction in the first place rather than just sticking to making us brave adventurers who participated in awesome things.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

5+ Year Old Account
    Dear champion can you kill 0/10 rabbits/worms/wolfs/bats/rats. Its already a joke.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

I think champion is more interesting but Blizzard fails in it. At this point I deserve to be in war council with Sylvanas.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.