Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Simple fix to layering!

I know, layering bad, blabla, but: most of the issues with layering (like grabbing a second chest in Strangletorn and so on) can actually simply be fixed: You can only switch layers in a resting-area. So, when you want to switch a layer, and somebody invites you, you need to go to a resting area, only there you switch to the layer of the group. Is it inconvenient: YES, but inconvenience: that's classic!

With this, not only can this be fixed, things like Devilsaur-leather market and anything that is far far away from any possible resting area would not be affected by layer-switching.

We have already a cooldown for layer-switching, but when you can only switch layers in a resting-area, many of these issues people have with layering will simply not happen.

I'm not opposed to your idea. However, I don't think we need to worry much about layering. It's a temporary problem that Blizzard will monitor closely. If folks are abusing layering in violation of TOS then Blizzard will take action against those players and, if possible, will release a patch to prevent future abuses.

I got the simplest fix for layering. If you dont understand how it works and really think its gonna affect your gameplay, wait til phase 2. Just log off the forums, do something productive for 3 months, then come back. Problem solved.

It's not gonna have any significant impact and a month after its removed, no one will even talk abt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if this is a serious concern among the community, I'd say have it so you can only switch layers in a starting zone or capital city. It's usually not overly impeding to take a flight path back to the nearest capital city, or (for, say, Horde players in southern EK or Alliance players in southern Kalimdor) hop a boat/zepplin from Ratchet/Grom'gol to one. I'd even qualify Gadgetzan and Booty Bay as capitals for the purpose of layer-hopping to join your friends (giving aforementioned players somewhere nearby that could qualify as a capital without needing a lengthy flight and boat/zep back to their nearest faction capital).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Doesn't need to be fixed
    Just so you know, you possibly will never meet the same people twice in the world on your entire leveling experience.

lvl 30 undead rogue named Assstabber killed you 2 days ago on Duskwood?
    Good luck finding him again when there is 10 different layers (or more) per server and you can switch layer every logout or break you take.

Isnt layering only supposed to be around to handle volume at launch anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    I know, layering bad, blabla, but: most of the issues with layering (like grabbing a second chest in Strangletorn and so on) can actually simply be fixed: You can only switch layers in a resting-area. So, when you want to switch a layer, and somebody invites you, you need to go to a resting area, only there you switch to the layer of the group. Is it inconvenient: YES, but inconvenience: that's classic!

With this, not only can this be fixed, things like Devilsaur-leather market and anything that is far far away from any possible resting area would not be affected by layer-switching.

We have already a cooldown for layer-switching, but when you can only switch layers in a resting-area, many of these issues people have with layering will simply not happen.
    Layering means that 1 server is many servers and you are in one of them (you are in a different server). When the first phase is over, they merge all of them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post

It's only for launch up until phase 2 if needed. So there's no solution needed because they have one

Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    Layering means that 1 server is many servers and you are in one of them (you are in a different server). When the first phase is over, they merge all of them together.
    Correct but they are constantly merged every minute. Ppl are constantly logging in and off, and getting invited to groups.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Just so you know, you possibly will never meet the same people twice in the world on your entire leveling experience.

Good luck finding him again when there is 10 different layers (or more) per server and you can switch layer every logout or break you take.
    Most of the "tourists" arent gonna get past 30. By the time u get past that level, it's more than likely that you will start recognizing the players that will actually stay subbed.

you make it sound like its a bad thing ...

on a more serious note ...
    first, its not true. as soon as layering is removed all layers of a server should be merged into one, so yeah ... you CAN see him again, if he is still around after that.

second, thats what blacklist addons were for. you "mark your targets", and they alert you as soon as you see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Why would I want to find him again? If anything I'd want to avoid him.
    Because thats how server fame works xD if youre well known on the server for being a great healer/tank/top dps you go places, great at pvp? People remember you, annoying ganker? Get ready to be hunted down and camped fof hours. Its all part of the community fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberfest99 View Post
    I'm not opposed to your idea. However, I don't think we need to worry much about layering. It's a temporary problem that Blizzard will monitor closely. If folks are abusing layering in violation of TOS then Blizzard will take action against those players and, if possible, will release a patch to prevent future abuses.
    Sorry, but let's face reality: when blizzard give players something to abuse, they will abuse it. Layerhopping is not forbidden by itself, but as long as you don't ban everyone who hops for every stranglethorn-arena-chest (and it will happen as often as an arena is up), then people will definitively abuse it. And exactly because i don't want that it gets abused, i hope that they might change it.

As far as i know, layerhopping is without cooldown in the capitals; so they have already a seperate ruleset for them. If they make them only available there and in every resting zone, then most of these abuses will simply not happen.

And YES, it should be only there for the first stretch: BUT: the first stretch between phase 1 and phase 2 might be the longest, since they probably might wait until the population settles. And just because people will abuse it only for a few months, people will still abuse it. So a change like this will be beneficial for everyone.

And exactly because of things like the arena-chest, because of devilsaur-leather, because of black lotus, because of grinding for the winterspring frostsaber-trainer and so on; there will be abuse; simply because you can save time.

I really hope that all of it is unnecessary in the second phase.

I guess #nochanges is actually a myth after all. How silly..

Quote Originally Posted by trapmaster View Post
    I guess #nochanges is actually a myth after all. How silly..
    You're just realizing this now?

Creating a truly """""no changes""""" 1.12 is something that would take years and years of development to do. And for what? To please a few dozen turboautists who even care about such a thing?

Even if they did do that, it would not be the same as 2006 because we as players have changed and evolved, so what's even the point?

Layering is a non issue and needs no fixing. We can deal with it until Phase 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's someone you want to meet again and the feeling is mutual exchange battlenet tags. The part about anonymity that no one ever talks about is that a lot of the time you meet up with assholes you never want to see in your game again.

Layering doesn't need to be fixed.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

If the choice is layering delaying my grudges or not being able to get to Duskwood at all because I'm still trying to kill a Kobold in Fargodeep Mine for a Gold Dust, I'll take the former any day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Candfal9 View Post
    Normally I just ignore your posts because you tend to delete the account of any one who disagrees with you.
    FYI: I don't have any power to delete accounts so I don't know where you get that. People disagree with me all the time and that's fine. That's what we're here for.

I suspect that changing layers is going to be more time-consuming and difficult than most people think. We'll have to see once the game launches. I also take Blizzard at their word that they'll ramp down the layering as quickly as possible. If that makes me a loyalist in your eyes then fine. My post history would show that I'm not quite the Blizzard drone that people think I am. Inconvenient if you're trying to push a narrative but that's the truth.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Day 7624 of MMO-C users solving problems that don't exist. No end in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Candfal9 View Post
    building up a massive inventory of stupidly hard to items
    People keep doomsaying this but never give any example of these "stupidly hard to items".