Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I dont understand how BC wont be released on top of Classic... What am I not seeing?

Okay so I need some help here. Couple of threads now talking about how Blizzard will be stupid to release BC as an xpac on top of Classic.

I dont understand whats so stupid about it. People want the "Classic experience", sure. But then what?

Like is everyone on the server just going to farm the same instances over and over, and be geared to the teeth, just to do what? Run around in your awesome gear and kill the same things that you pretty much have on farm and have no use for since you already own every piece?

I guess what im asking is, whats the end game? What am I not seeing?

We level up, we raid, we are full geared... Alts? Whats next?

I'd be more interested in a Classic+ route to go, similar to what OSRS did. New content and raids in the style and mindset of Classic WoW

Well, probably classic should stay as it is, but if blizzard adds TBC realms, you should have the chance to copy your classic char to it.
    Rinse and repeat. For the rewards. Send even more turtles into the water.

Because most of the people wanting Classic, wanted just Vanilla. Sure there are those that want BC and the other expacs on top of it, but we need to stop somewhere.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    But then what happens when everyone has exhausted Sunwell Plateau in BC? Everyone moves on to Wotlk, and then Cata, and then MoP... It defeats the purpose of having a Classic version if it's still only available for a year or so until it progresses onward. Character copies into the expansions would be the way to go.

Classic+ is still very much the better notion, as there'd surely be no drastic overhaul that invalidates the content. There'd just be new instances and potentially better gear. Groups could even limit what gear you could use in say AQ40 if they don't want the run tainted by + exclusive gear.

Classic exists as a time capsule, so everyone can channel as much or as little nostalgia as they desire. People can argue against the +, but overriding it with BC invalidates the whole concept.
    Last edited by saintminya; 2019-09-15 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    Because most of the people wanting Classic, wanted just Vanilla. Sure there are those that want BC and the other expacs on top of it, but we need to stop somewhere.
    Right. I get that. Thats not what I asked...

The question is, THEN what? Again, you clear every instance, you have ALL the gear you want over several YEARS of playing Classic.

Is that it? It just becomes a frozen state where pretty much everyone who has been playing for years is fully geared out?

It will, its free money for no content. And theres a LOT of people who loved BC too. It would be literally refusing money if they dont do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post

The question is, THEN what? Again, you clear every instance, you have ALL the gear you want over several YEARS of playing Classic.

Is that it? It just becomes a frozen state where pretty much everyone who has been playing for years is fully geared out?
    Yes, that is exactly it. One and done.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that it?
    That question was asked repeatedly in the months before launch. The standard but clearly not-unanimous answer other than 'no changes' was that Vanilla was enough and would provide years of play.

I'm not commenting on BC one way or the other. It would be a mistake to look at the first three weeks of Classic and make a decision on that. Blizzard will certainly have a better idea after a few months.

The specific answer to your question is yes, that's it. Vanilla has an endpoint.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-09-15 at 08:51 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The answer is 'we don't know' just as Blizzard don't know yet. But considering how fast they ressurect old versions of the game, I'm sure they will have BC servers ready to be turned on if the playerbase will want it.

Make this like Ladders in diablo. Do a several year cycle. Then restart. Maby a sever or two that are permanently in one xpac.

Well the servers do have vanilla names, so i hope for char copy or smth. No idea!

On private servers, people were doing speed run of raids.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I'd be more interested in a Classic+ route to go, similar to what OSRS did. New content and raids in the style and mindset of Classic WoW
    That may have been possible if we still had the same talent level designers that we had back in those days but we have a lawyer running retail and "you think you do but you don't" J. Allen Bricksforbrains running Blizzard now. Re-releasing BC then WotLK makes the most sense and gives Blizzard time to figure out how to fix the mess that retail has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    So stop at WotLK.

Okay so I need some help here. Couple of threads now talking about how Blizzard will be stupid to release BC as an xpac on top of Classic.

I dont understand whats so stupid about it. People want the "Classic experience", sure. But then what?

Like is everyone on the server just going to farm the same instances over and over, and be geared to the teeth, just to do what? Run around in your awesome gear and kill the same things that you pretty much have on farm and have no use for since you already own every piece?

True, it will eventually become boring, but there'll also be some players that won't want to move on, so tough question. Probably extra TBC servers where people can copy their characters over, but the original stays also on the Classic server. But let's wait and see. TBC servers would still be quite a projet on top of those other 2 games we have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Skinner View Post
    Well, probably classic should stay as it is, but if blizzard adds TBC realms, you should have the chance to copy your classic char to it.
    This would be the most likely route

If Blizzard were to force TBC or Classic+ onto the current servers we'd end up right back at the beginning with people asking for Classic servers
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Classic should exist indefinitely as is simply for the same reason you can still play NES and Atari games. They, and WoW, played an important part of gaming history and should be enjoyable for generations to come.

10+ Year Old Account

When does it end then? You're going to have people who love BC...then you're going to have people who want WotLK....there are even a few people who loved WoD.

Who is the judge where it starts and where it ends? Do you want them to do a 10+ year run of going from Vanilla to BFA and beyond again?

Seasons

Mark my words, there will be seasons in Classic eventually. Get yourself a shiny title if you and your buddies roll a season character and down Naxxramas in 4 months time!

"But Blizzard said they're not going to do things like titles and special rewards and such in Classic!"

Blizzard also said they wouldn't do Classic servers as well, and yet - here we are. ;P