Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    In fairness, XIV is pretty chock full of solo content. You're only forced to group for the occasional story dungeon/trial. You can even run dungeons with an NPC party, including the story dungeons later.
    Words cannot express how much I love the Trust system. It's something I've only dared to dream would ever be added to an MMO. I wish it were retroactive.

I don't want to blame my group anxiety on WoW because a large part of it is I simply don't and never have liked group content, but the fact remains that the toxicity in WoW certainly exacerbated it. Going into FFXIV where people don't get (visibly) bent out of shape due to others causing wipes for not knowing mechanics is... weird.

On the Wildstar note: Yeah, that game was fucking awesome early on. I don't know what they were thinking with the endgame content. It wasn't even "hardcore" or "old school" it was just...bad.
    Someone really ought to buy the IP and assets and do a reboot. Game's already made, people are already familiar with it, it just needs better content and direction.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

So now I just don't bother. People say, "But XIV people are so much nicer." but I'm too jaded to believe that. Especially when you talk to people outside of a group, and you get to hear what they really think. Or you hear about all the passive-aggressive things people do to still be awful without breaking the XIV rules.
    I've yet to see anyone get kicked from or leave a group in FFXIV either, I don't even know if it's possible. I was in one the other day and the tank d/ced, so I waited for it to happen and it never did. We sat there for at least a good 5 minutes waiting for them to come back. You d/c in WoW you are out within 30 secs, nobody is waiting for you. I've seen people zone back in to see they'd already been replaced.

The only encounter I've had that 'annoyance in silence' feeling about was Titan. It's an easy fight with avoidable mechanics, but both on my solo char and the one I play with my SO the healer got punted and I'm like, seriously? Later ARR stuff, there's so much crap going on I don't even know what's happening most of the time and I have watched a guide for everything because I don't want to be that person. The Crystal Tower raids have been chaotic nightmares. I told my SO to not even bother watching the guides, it's just a mess in there. It still sucks when you wipe, albeit less so than in WoW, but it's hard to get mad when you can't tell who or what went wrong. The ones I'm not looking forward to are like the Seat of Sacrifice with the button mashing, I am not a fan of that being a party wipe.

There was a thread on r/ffxiv about a sense of dread when you join a mechanic heavy encounter with a bunch of sprouts and a surprising number of respondents said they like it. I'm not foolish enough to think that nobody's ever raging in their FC chat, or whatever, about a bad group, but at least a decent amount of FFXIV redditors seem to think it keeps things fresh and exciting.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    I played WoW from 2004 to 2017... I played FFXIV a lot in 2019-2020. I leveled 3 jobs at 80, and yes I hated the UI, Combat, movement too, missing my Grid healing addons or healbot and dps meter...

This year, I came back to WoW from january 2021 to june 2021, I did mostly pvp and leveling, and now I'm trying FFXIV again, and omg compared to WoW it's awful.

IMO:

FFXIV is way better for quests, stories and glamour.
    WoW is way better for combat, PVP, UI, gameplay.

Player in WoW are toxic compared to FFXIV. There's no competition in FFXIV and people are friendly.

Both games are good and different, I think we can enjoy both. (Not at same time of course)

15+ Year Old Account
    At this point I just want them to implement a database storage for all armors in the game and create an appearance change system like gw2/wow have. And weakauras. For the love of god, someone port it over PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I beat the MSQ recently and have spent quite a bit of time leveling new jobs since I began playing in March.

It’s for sure a good game. But that’s it, it’s a very solid “good” game overall, not a “great” one.

The engine is “mostly” what prevents it from being great for me.

I’d say my overall experience of they game is 30% of the game is “good”, 20% is “great”, 40% is mediocre, 10% is outright bad.

It’s for sure the better alternative between FF14 and WoW if I had to pick one, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

Hopefully they take what’s great about this one and put it in FF17 with a modern engine and Yoshi P directing from its inception.

It’s amazing how far it’s come, but I can’t see it being the great game everyone wants it to be and it could be, without a totally new engine.

FF17 could be that game and I hope they are already working on it.
    Blame playstation for the engine, they have to cater to that market too

Meh. So much for all the group content being story related. Can't accept the next 2.5 quest without doing 3 hard mode primals that don't have a damn thing to do with the current story.

Edit: Even worse, they don't tell you that 1) you need to unlock those trials or 2) how to do that. I looked it up, of course, but this is extremely flawed. At least with the Crystal Tower they point out the NPC with a dialog box that says his questline is required. I got nothing for this, if these were going to be required all along why not prompt me to accept the quests at the end of the 2.0 MSQ?
    Last edited by Lane; 2021-08-08 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Meh. So much for all the group content being story related. Can't accept the next 2.5 quest without doing 3 hard mode primals that don't have a damn thing to do with the current story.
    So the game introducing you to the 8-man versions of the story-mode 4 man primals is somehow a detriment?

It takes 5 minutes to clear these fights. If you're going to complain about something like this, then this game just isn't for you.

Edit: Not directed at you necessarily, but anyone complaining about "mandatory group content being a turn off" can just bug off. It's an MMO. Go out and play with people.
    Last edited by Daltin; 2021-08-08 at 01:26 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Go ahead and knock out the crystal Tower questline while you at it, its another hidden part of the MSQ.

I think if you actively dislike ARR but are forcing yourself to finish it then you probably won't really appreciate the expansions either. I enjoyed ARR, then I thought everything else improved upon it, but it wasn't like it was completely different. Just better story and more engaging questlines with a ton more abilities to use in combat as the series went on. Also the dungeon mechanics start to get a lot more fun.

Why would FF17 be an MMO? When they have two other MMOs running currently?

Just because 11+3=14+3=17?
    I wouldn't question the logic, i'm almost certain that they're the people who believed leaks about tinker and dark ranger in the expansion about dragons. I believe 14 will be around for a long time without the need for a new FF MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    Go ahead and knock out the crystal Tower questline while you at it, its another hidden part of the MSQ.
    I'm on the World of Darkness part, I think. I paused because I'm not ready for the conclusion of that story. I wish it didn't have to be done before HW.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizrahen View Post
    I think if you actively dislike ARR but are forcing yourself to finish it then you probably won't really appreciate the expansions either.
    I have not particularly enjoyed ARR, but I loved the Hell out of ShB. Looking forward to getting into HW since most seem to agree it's the second best expansion after ShB.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    I wouldn't question the logic, i'm almost certain that they're the people who believed leaks about tinker and dark ranger in the expansion about dragons. I believe 14 will be around for a long time without the need for a new FF MMO.
    Too many people on here will find any opportunity they can to try to feel superior.

It’s pathetic.

It’s a reasonable assumption to assume 17 would be their next MMO given they’ve used 11 and 14.

Is it wrong? Maybe, we don't know yet, but it’s reasonable.

15+ Year Old Account
    FF17 AND FF18 could just as easily be a single player GAAS, and strategy RPG respectively, and not an MMO. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    FF17 AND FF18 could just as easily be a single player GAAS, and strategy RPG respectively, and not an MMO. Who knows?
    Totally possible.

Why is it "reasonable" based solely on adding 3 to the entry number?
    It's not reasonable at all. It doesn't have anything to do with the numbers. 14 was an MMO simply because they wanted another MMO. 11 was still running yes, but it didn't receive any new expansions anymore. 14 is in full speed ahead. They really don't need another MMO.

Infact, Yoshi-P said so himself very recently. That if they were to make another mmo they'd have to make it good enough so that all the players from 14 jump to the new one.

Put on subtitles.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    11 was still running yes, but it didn't receive any new expansions anymore.
    While I agree it's extremely unlikely they're doing another MMO any time soon since they have 2 running (3 if you consider Dragon Quest as well), 11 got the Abyssea add-on content in the same year XIV launched and the Seekers of Adoulin expansion 2-3 years after FFXIV launched

Why would FF17 be an MMO? When they have two other MMOs running currently?

Just because 11+3=14+3=17?
    assuming we do not get FF16 till 2022 at the earliest. we can surmise based off of the last time we got an ff mainline game was in 2016(so about 6 years between the two). that would speculate that FF17 will drop around 2028 by which time ff14 would be 18 years old. for context. FF11 was only 8 years old when ff14 dropped.

I do not think speculating that FF17 will be an MMO is at all bad since by than 14 will be around 18 years old. The hype for 14 is new but the game has already been out for a long time already(goin on our fourth xpc now).

Quote Originally Posted by Malix Farwin View Post
    assuming we do not get FF16 till 2022 at the earliest. we can surmise based off of the last time we got an ff mainline game was in 2016(so about 6 years between the two). that would speculate that FF17 will drop around 2028 by which time ff14 would be 18 years old. for context. FF11 was only 8 years old when ff14 dropped.
    I would caution against using the time between the last 5 FF games to estimate when future FF games will release. The FF franchise went off the rails when Yoichi Wada became President. Sakaguchi got forced out of the company. FFXII's botched development cycle. The abortion that was FF13's development history. The decision to try to milk FF7 and FF13 as much as possible with so many cross media entries and spinoffs. The FF14 1.0 disaster. Nomura being placed on too many projects at once and being allowed to be indecisive about his vision for Versus XIII and rebooting development on it a billion times until the board finally kicked him off the project and told Tabata to salvage something out of it within 2 years. Fortunately Wada is gone now. Yoshida is now on the board of directors, and the stuff he has been saying in interviews has been promising (criticizes Wada era SE for chasing after the highest fidelity graphics, rather than delivering an actually fun game), so hopefully that will lead to shorter development cycles for FF games.

In 2016, assistant FFXIV director Hiroshi Takai left development of FFXIV to begin working on a new project. In 2019, CBU3 put out job offers for a project that was in the works, so presumably that's when they got the pre-production stuff all figured out and began legit developing the game. If FF16 releases in 2022, then the turn around time would have been 3 years. Much more promising!

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I would caution against using the time between the last 5 FF games to estimate when future FF games will release. The FF franchise went off the rails when Yoichi Wada became President. Sakaguchi got forced out of the company. FFXII's botched development cycle. The abortion that was FF13's development history. The decision to try to milk FF7 and FF13 as much as possible with so many cross media entries and spinoffs. The FF14 1.0 disaster. Nomura being placed on too many projects at once and being allowed to be indecisive about his vision for Versus XIII and rebooting development on it a billion times until the board finally kicked him off the project and told Tabata to salvage something out of it within 2 years. Fortunately Wada is gone now. Yoshida is now on the board of directors, and the stuff he has been saying in interviews has been promising (criticizes Wada era SE for chasing after the highest fidelity graphics, rather than delivering an actually fun game), so hopefully that will lead to shorter development cycles for FF games.

In 2016, assistant FFXIV director Hiroshi Takai left development of FFXIV to begin working on a new project. In 2019, CBU3 put out job offers for a project that was in the works, so presumably that's when they got the pre-production stuff all figured out and began legit developing the game. If FF16 releases in 2022, then the turn around time would have been 3 years. Much more promising!
    Why would you caution it when A. They will be making FF Remake episodes in between and B. i am actually undershooting. 2028 is the earliest estimate and even then 14 would be 18 years old. They arent gonna churn out Final Fantasys any quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Malix Farwin View Post

I do not think speculating that FF17 will be an MMO is at all bad since by than 14 will be around 18 years old. The hype for 14 is new but the game has already been out for a long time already(goin on our fourth xpc now).
    FF14 will probably still be going then. MMOs are a huge investment and sometimes can be a huge money sink, just look at ffxiv 1.0, and right now mmos aren’t all the craze and are dropping in popularity, and companies that try to saturate the market have “action” style gameplay. If they could be created and the companies could safely migrate all players then we’d have a WoW 2 by now, so far the only games successful that im aware of are everquest 2, runescape and final fantasy, but mind you those old games are still going to this day.