Page 50 of 146 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I honestly can't understand this mentality. The game already HAS Tinkers and mechs and technology and lasers and gears and stuff...how would adding a legit class based on the HUGE amount of tech already in this game somehow taint it beyond the point where you'd abandon it?
    For one, I'd have to watch those silly things beside me in dungeons and raids. Shooting rockets, while the rest of us use swords and different types of magic and whatnot. Nope. Go play starcraft or red alert or world of tanks. This amount of tech ingame is as high as I can tolerate for wow.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yeah, but DH players complain constantly about wanting a third spec, and that their class is shallow and needs more "meat" to it. That's a direct result of it being too close to existing class concepts to have more than 2 specs. So while it's a popular class, there's no reason to believe that's always going to be case going forward. Especially as DHs are more and more out of place in the game since we're no longer fighting demons.

Death Knights used to be one of the most popular classes in the game. Look where they are right now in that link you posted.
    That is a valid argument against making classes that are too connected to the main theme of their debut expansion. But it doesn't address the potential disaster that would happen if they made Tinker.

Monk was/is super underplayed despite being available to most races simply due to the fact people don't like the Panderen aesthetic and theme.

Goblins and Gnomes are underplayed for a reason, its very easy to put two and two together to see what would happen if they made a class solely based around them.

The only solution would be to make it available to more races, which would dilute the theme and remove the ability to have race-specific mechs entirely. Or redefine what it means to be a Tinker so that it would be a hero-class and it wouldn't just be a Gnome and Goblin thing. Both of which seem very unappealing to Tinker fans I imagine.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I honestly don't know where you get that idea of tinkers being extremely unpopular, especially after so many polls favoring them, except you being biased as you just said.
    But once again, aesthetics alone doesn't make a class, it's just one of the MANY aspects. DHs are popular because they're extremely fun to play with so much mobility and stuff, and only second because of their over the head edginess.
    I, for one, absolutely despise monks aesthethics in WoW and you can even track my previous posts hating on them, but guess what, I'm playing monk myself. Not because I love those stupid comical stuff, but because I love all 3 specs gameplay which is more important than anything else.

The class would be unpopular because the only races who could play it are unpopular. This isn't some crazy anti-tinker conspiracy theory, it just makes sense.

Following that, the races are unpopular because their aesthetics are unpopular which is the primary reason to pick a race now that racials have been more or less balanced.

It isn't some grand leap of logic to assume that making a class based off of the above would be vastly unpopular. I think you are heavily undermining how much value people put on looks and themes.

And this is coming from someone like you who mains BRM despite hating the class theme, I absolutely would drop it if it was a Panderen-only class.
    Last edited by Sharby; 2019-10-14 at 03:50 PM.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Quote Originally Posted by ping-pong View Post
    For one, I'd have to watch those silly things beside me in dungeons and raids. Shooting rockets, while the rest of us use swords and different types of magic and whatnot. Nope. Go play starcraft or red alert or world of tanks. This amount of tech ingame is as high as I can tolerate for wow.
    This thread has many questionable posts, but you really took the podium with this one. Congratulations.

I honestly don't know where you get that idea of tinkers being extremely unpopular, especially after so many polls favoring them, except you being biased as you just said.
    But once again, aesthetics alone doesn't make a class, it's just one of the MANY aspects. DHs are popular because they're extremely fun to play with so much mobility and stuff, and only second because of their over the head edginess.
    I, for one, absolutely despise monks aesthethics in WoW and you can even track my previous posts hating on them, but guess what, I'm playing monk myself. Not because I love those stupid comical stuff, but because I love all 3 specs gameplay which is more important than anything else.
    Also it is a very funny argumentation.

Shaman, one of the core classes since release of WoW, is only 0.9% above Monks, which were added with MoP.

Says enough, doesnt it? Both are complete messes designwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    It just sounded ominous as if he would save that info for future use to something, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Next class is Necromancer. Tinker will never happen.

You read first here.
    Oh yeah?

And DH is one of the most played. What's your point? Aesthetics alone doesn't make a whole class.
    Demon hunter is one of the least popular classes along with monks.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity River View Post
    I'm waiting until Vulpera is released to make a shaman. But monks never had an interest in them same as Dh's don't have one don't want one as I don't like melee classes.
    Maybe you will like shooting enemies as something like this.

It just sounded ominous as if he would save that info for future use to something, that's all.

You read first here.
    Oh yeah?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    That is a valid argument against making classes that are too connected to the main theme of their debut expansion. But it doesn't address the potential disaster that would happen if they made Tinker.

Monk was/is super underplayed despite being available to most races simply due to the fact people don't like the Panderen aesthetic and theme.

Goblins and Gnomes are underplayed for a reason, its very easy to put two and two together to see what would happen if they made a class solely based around them.

The only solution would be to make it available to more races, which would dilute the theme and remove the ability to have race-specific mechs entirely. Or redefine what it means to be a Tinker so that it would be a hero-class and it wouldn't just be a Gnome and Goblin thing. Both of which seem very unappealing to Tinker fans I imagine.
    Again, see my post above. While having interesting moves and abilities, Monks were still very similar to what we already had in the game; Melee, Agile, Mobility, etc. They were compared to Rogues almost immediately because they were agility-based leather melee who could Dual wield and use energy, so people really didn't feel like they were missing out on anything by not playing them. When DH's appeared on the scene, they immediately ate up some of the Monk's design space and abilities as well because it was yet another leather-based agility melee class.

Tinkers offers a new physical ranged damage concept that is different than Hunters, and a vehicle combat aspect that would bring something completely new to the class lineup. Like I said, mech piloting into combat should be extremely popular conceptually, even if its a Gnome or Goblin pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Nothing wrong with tinkers. I just hope they won't be exclusive to all the short races.
    Agreed. While it's the best fit for their lore/general personality traits and seems like a funny coincidence, I think Dwarves, Humans, Draenei, Forsaken, Orcs/Mag'har, Nightborne, and Blood Elves could be tinkers too.

- Dwarves shouldn't need much explaining. It's a stereotype for dwarves to have culture full of fine craftsman and finer quality craftsmanship, esp. when it comes to metal work and being rich on ore and other resources. They own the Steampunk aesthetic in fantasy, and that's all true for WoW as well. (ex: Alliance's siege engines, dwarven flying machines, golems, giant world-travelling drills, airships, etc).

- Humans are a decent fit due to basically being the only realistic race in that they're an open canvas; not every human fits into one or two categories and tropes (which also means Kul'tirans/Gilneans could be eligible too, though Gilneas doesn't seem like a culture with many engineers).

- Draenei don't need explaining either. are pretty well known for being aliens with highly advanced technology, alot of which was explored the most during WoD and Legion. advanced war machines, flying suits of armor, armored constructs force field generators, crystal-based technology used for power, weaponry, armor, data storage, etc etc. Not to mention their advancement is practically uplifted by the Naaru, who created the interdimensional spaceships they inhabit (i.e. The Tempest Keep, Exodar, etc). They even have a career in their culture dedicated to technology & engineering known as the Artificer.

- Forsaken work with tons of experimental machinery,and definitely have the more scientific aspect of invention down. Just look at average Forsaken settlements. Covered in tesla coils, giant vats and test tubes, laboratories, etc.

- Orcs. Mainly Mag'har (i.e the AU Iron Horde) may sound weird at first but shouldn't be too much of a stretch. The Iron Horde built the bulk of their ENTIRE army on technology. What originally were goblin designs were vastly expanded into a whole array of war machine, siege engine, battleship, even battle mechs, etc. They industrialized Gorgrond; built a railway that travels all throughout it. They have a massive factory dedicated to the production of their machines and processing of their ore. The name tinker certainly doesn't scream Orc, but given what was demonstrated in lore and in-game they are easily a possibility.

- Blood Elves are known to dabble in technology as well, mainly magic-fueled machines and constructs, and have also tampered with Draenei & Naaru tech before (i.e. see examples in Silvermoon, Netherstorm, & The Mechanar).

- Nightborne do the same with their own magic-based constructions seen all over Suramar and it's instances.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2019-10-14 at 05:13 PM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity River View Post
    Mechs and guns have never been my thing I'm into magic and bows mostly bows, my husband would probably play a mech class as thats more his thing.

I have every transmoggable bow possible in game and I always keep Thori'dal the Stars' Fury in the inventory of all 6 of my hunter's.
    Then be hyped for your Hubby because him, Teriz and me can chill in our own Mechs in 17 days... and 1 year.

You read first here.
    Oh yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Demon hunter is one of the least popular classes along with monks.
    You're reading statistics wrong. You can't compare "classes created" to the one that people actually play. Of course DHs would be one of the least created classes as it requires later expansions and specific pre-requisites. You can check other sources like actual logs (which aren't omnipotent ofc) and realm active population.

But I honestly can't believe someone saying that DH is the least class played with a straight face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    I think Mag'har could be tinkers too.
    I will never understand how some people think. For better or for worse

You're reading statistics wrong. You can't compare "classes created" to the one that people actually play. Of course DHs would be one of the least created classes as it requires later expansions and specific pre-requisites. You can check other sources like actual logs (which aren't omnipotent ofc) and realm active population.

But I honestly can't believe someone saying that DH is the least class played with a straight face.

I will never understand how some people think. For better or for worse
    To be fair DH also has the huge advantage of being like what? 13 levels below max level when made in Legion? And 23 in BfA? Thats huuuuuuge for people who dislike leveling.

I think a new lvl 1 class would be the best with a level squish and that rumored world revamp.

Also, whats wrong with Mag'har Tinkers?

You read first here.
    Oh yeah?

10+ Year Old Account
    Monks started at lvl 1 and were only available once the expansion was out. So it wasn't even possible to power level one before MoP came out.

A lot of players didn't want to start a new expansion by leveling a new class in old content.

That is pretty much the no1 reason why monks were not popular at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by High Tinker Buliwyf View Post
    Also, whats wrong with Mag'har Tinkers?
    I can't think of any other class combination that makes least sense for me personally. I don't see how savage natured big brawny muscular giants would tinker with little things to make gadgets and stuff to kill people instead of clubbing them to death.

I can't think of any other class combination that makes least sense for me personally. I don't see how savage natured big brawny muscular giants would tinker with little things to make gadgets and stuff to kill people instead of clubbing them to death.
    Except the Maghar are behind all of the Iron Horde tech we've been using since WoD. If any race makes sense for Tinkers besides Gnome / Goblin / Mechagnome, it's them.

Quote Originally Posted by ping-pong View Post
    What about Mechagon, or Gnomeregan, Mechanar, Arcatraz, Grimrail Depot, THE MOTHERLODE or any other dungeon that is already filled with enemies and traps and mechanics that use technology instead of magic and swrods?

The entirety of the WoD expansion based on the Iron Horde using "advanced" technology?

What about all the quests that use tanks, mech suits, airships, planes, motorcycles, and other high tech "vehicles" to complete the objective?

You seem to be ignoring ALL of that and saying it's not bad, but somehow seeing a player character using it in a dungeon is all of a sudden over the top and crossing some line, when you see it ALL THE TIME.

Why would a class put it over the top vs everything else that's already in the game?

When people refer to Mag'Har as Tinkers they are looking at the Blackrocks.

I am sure that you also played through WoD considering your MMO-C is from 2009, so with all the technical prowess these Orcs showcase in areas like Blackrock Foundry or Deeprun Dungeon it is not too unlikely to think of them as Tinkers.

They also pretty much expanded upon Blackfuses idea of engineering and made that Fel Reaver you can get both as a mount and as the second boss in HFC.

You read first here.
    Oh yeah?

10+ Year Old Account
    To me my dream class would be a pure archer/gun class, no pets, no magic, no nature, no shadow edgylord shenanigans like dark ranger. A pure martial archery type class. Call it warrior ranged if you like. Atm tinker seems to be the only real thing that is close of what i wish. So crossing my fingers for it.

Or who knows, maybe blizzard will pull a "gunslinger" class that fits the "warrior ranged" theme, with a new type of weapons "dual pistol thing". That would make me more happy than tinkers tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Except the Maghar are behind all of the Iron Horde tech we've been using since WoD. If any race makes sense for Tinkers besides Gnome / Goblin / Mechagnome, it's them.
    Yes, but I still differentiate their extremely crude tech with "tinkering" which by definition implies smaller things, not iron ship juggernauts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tinker Buliwyf View Post
    To be fair DH also has the huge advantage of being like what? 13 levels below max level when made in Legion? And 23 in BfA? Thats huuuuuuge for people who dislike leveling.
    Technically 2 level below max because they were available in the pre-patch for those that pre-ordered the game. So you could create them (lvl 98) and level them to 100 before Legion even came out. So you could start the new expact with everybody else when it launched.

And for those who did't pre-ordre, doing the introduction quests were pretty fast and didn't slow down players that much before they could play the new expac.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    Technically 2 level below max because they were available in the pre-patch for those that pre-ordered the game. So you could create them (lvl 98) and level them to 100 before Legion even came out. So you could start the new expact with everybody else when it launched.

And for those who did't pre-ordre, doing the introduction quests were pretty fast and didn't slow down players that much before they could play the new expac.
    Indeed. I didnt bother playing monk because I returned a bit late into MoP launch and had a whole expansion ahead of me.

So the option was either to level or go through all the new fancy content ahead of me. Wasnt too big of a choice.
    With preorder classes being available this is a non issue though.

You read first here.
    Oh yeah?