Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Dragonsworn: the next AP Grind?

A lot of people around here seem to think Dragonsworn are the next class. But I reckon Dragonsworn as a concept will be the next "ap grind," possibly under a different name like "the Path of Dragons."

You chose your own flight at the begining of the expansion, and you can add progress towards this flight probably through a grind similar to the AP grind.

Progressing through the flight will allow you to unlock abilities and passives.

For example, a monk who choses to follow the black dragon flight will earn earth-based abilities and passives that maybe make you more tanky. A mage who picks the bronze flight can get time based abilities and so on.

Essences and the HoA may have been the grounds for this system if my speculation is right.

I mean, this is what dragonsworn are - people who chose to follow the flights, and they can come from any class background. Although, I think if it were a class it would be a lot cooler.
    Last edited by Merryck; 2019-10-26 at 12:40 AM.

If they have another artifact/azerite grind, then they're asking for the criticism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I also dont think it's going to be a class. Definitely more likely to be next expansion's Azerite trait.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkj View Post
    do you have any evidence for any of this
    It's called speculation based on current trends you stooge

It makes sense given the fact blizzard are likely to continue ap grinds, and because of the nature of the dragonsworn making sense as a grinding system

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    If they have another artifact/azerite grind, then they're asking for the criticism.
    I think we're stuck with this system in one fashion or another. Blizzard loves busy work and players were complaining that there was nothing to do, so here we are.

I'd take any class other than fucking tinkers

5+ Year Old Account
    what current trends you stooge
    I edited my reply you stooge

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMagicc View Post
    A lot of people around here seem to think Dragonsworn are the next class. But I reckon Dragonsworn as a concept will be the next "ap grind," possibly under a different name like "the Path of Dragons."

You chose your own flight at the begining of the expansion, and you can add progress towards this flight probably through a grind similar to the AP grind.

For example, a monk who choses to follow the black dragon flight will earn earth-based abilities and passives that maybe make you more tanky. A mage who picks the bronze flight can get timed based abilities and so on.

Essences and the HoA may have been the grounds for this system if my speculation is right.

I mean, this is what dragonsworn are - people who chose to follow the flights, and they can come from any class background. Although, I think if it were a class it would be a lot cooler.
    I agree with you and this is far more likely.

People who want Dragonsworn can't seem to explain what it is as a class. You pledge yourself to a dragonflight.... ok. Well what does the gameplay look like? This is definitely an artifact tree style system.

I disagree. It's a fantasy class that is WoW currently missing. Perfect addition, ideal to wear mail armor. Dragonsworn as a class will have lasting effects on the game, unlike flavor of the expansion mechanic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

People who want Dragonsworn can't seem to explain what it is as a class. You pledge yourself to a dragonflight.... ok. Well what does the gameplay look like? This is definitely an artifact tree style system.
    I don't know what kind of people you met but most users who endorse the idea of the class know what the class is about: channeling powers similar to that of x dragonflight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I think we're stuck with this system in one fashion or another. Blizzard loves busy work and players were complaining that there was nothing to do, so here we are.
    Yeah a system where you grind AP all xpac, where it gets nerfed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again making all grinding really pointless, then at the end they just throw the levels at you or max you AP, then they make the item unusable even in timewalking essentially removing it from the game.

Can't really think of a worse system myself anything has to be better than that shit.

And if they don't, we're back to complaints about gear being the only progression path.

People will complain either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fetus Rex View Post
    I disagree. It's a fantasy class that is WoW currently missing. Perfect addition, ideal to wear mail armor. Dragonsworn as a class will have lasting effects on the game, unlike flavor of the expansion mechanic.
    I'd love to see a Dragonsworn class (my concept of course), but the class lineup already contains dragon abilities in multiple classes. That concept is certainly not absent in WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I'd love to see a Dragonsworn class (my concept of course), but the class lineup already contains dragon abilities in multiple classes. That concept is certainly not absent in WoW
    Very few and classes themselves are not themed after them. The most can boast Death Knight I guess with breath and summon. Blizzard can come up wth something interesting, I wouldn't mind Final Fantasy's direction with a special lance weapon. I think one of the 'leaks' has it named.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetus Rex View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what kind of people you met but most users who endorse the idea of the class know what the class is about: channeling powers similar to that of x dragonflight.
    Feel free to elaborate on that...

Blue dragonflight... arcane mage?
    Green... balance druid?

Are they casters, melee? Just using the magic type doesn't really indicate any compelling unique gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMagicc View Post

For example, a monk who choses to follow the black dragon flight will earn earth-based abilities and passives that maybe make you more tanky. A mage who picks the bronze flight can get time based abilities and so on.

As soon as I saw the dragonsworn concept circulating, I thought this exact same thing.

do you have any evidence for any of this
    He reckons. That should be enough for you.

I'll join in, so we can be The Three Stooges.

Well, so far in BfA they've not had any grinds required - hopefully they don't reintroduce any.

That was the worst part of old school Classic stuff - all based behind grinds.

Much prefer the modern approach where there is no required grinding for anything.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

It can be explained pretty easily, but the concept is flexible.

What is a Death Knight? undead dude who swings a big sword and uses dark magic.

What is a Dragonsworn? Dude who fights and cast spells using Dragon powers.

Post WC3 DK concepts would probably be built around the idea of a reverse paladin with all 3 specs using Unholy magic. It would be difficult to explain DKs gameplay kit as it exists in WoW today based on that premise. It probably wouldn't be specific enough to cover Frost and Blood magic, Dual Wielding, Runeforging and being able to roll practically any/every race.

I think a Dragonsworn has more potential than that right off the bat. The classic idea is a spec based on each dragonflight, with Black as tank, mixing blue and bronze as caster and red and green as healer. They would primarily use polearms or spears, and have an assortment of Draconic inspired abilities or physical techniques like Dragons Fang, Flame Buffet, Dragon Lash, etc. A more classic approach would style them more after FF Dragoons, otherwise it could be like Dragon Knight from DOTA with more spells available. Ultimates would involve temporarily turning into a dragon, or invoking its spirit. Those are just the classic archetypes, and I'm sure Blizzard could build a new identity with new lore to support a completely formed design.

Personally, I would have all aspect magic available and have the gameplay be built more like original DK gameplay, cycling through various runes.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-10-26 at 02:42 AM.

AP is definitely here to stay

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Well, so far in BfA they've not had any grinds required - hopefully they don't reintroduce any.

That was the worst part of old school Classic stuff - all based behind grinds.

Much prefer the modern approach where there is no required grinding for anything.
    You can't say that out loud at all. People with pitches will come after you. They'll tell you how Azerite is a required grind because everyone needs to be at the cap now. They'll tell you how rep grinds are required because everyone needs all allied races unlocked. They'll tell you how raiding is a grind because they need max TF + socket + correct item.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but you'll get a ton of people who will tell you all the grinds available are absolutely required when none are.