Poll: What is the likelihood of a non-Hero Class being added in future expansions?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Likelihood of a normal (non-Hero) Class added in future expansions

Out of the three Classes added to the game after launch, 2 of them are Hero Classes. Thematically, each class has tied into the expansion that they are representing. The Monk Class was handled in a way that, chronologically, the Pandaren from the Wandering Isle came into the picture before the Alliance and Horde discovered Pandaria, so their questing starting in the Cataclysm time-frame made narrative sense, as did their influence of teaching the ways of the Monk. Demon Hunters got into the fray of the Legion expansion content quickly, as their services were in dire need due to the immediate Legion invasion. Seeing as BfA gave us new Allied Races, we can surmise that with the existing expansion structure, we're due for a new class this coming expansion. However, will it be a regular class like the Monk, where their story is aligned with the Cata time-frame? Or is Blizzard done with adding regular classes?

• If Blizzard stays with adding Hero Classes ONLY, it would make the most narrative sense when implementing an expansion because the theme and story would prompt the need for that Hero's services right away (Pandaria was -initially- more about exploration). Plus, they wouldn't have to worry about tailoring the lower level questing experience to the Hero Class.
    • If Blizzard chooses to add a regular Class going forward, they would be making the choice to shoehorn a Class narrative all the way back into the Cata time-frame, like they did with Monks (which fortunately worked at that time since Pandaren from the Wandering Isle, like Chen Stormstout, were already in world exploring before MoP). Also... Cata was only the expansion right before MoP. If they added a non-Hero Class like the Dark Ranger or Tinker in the coming expansion, for example, that class would have to level through the story of Cata, MoP, WoD, Legion, and BfA before getting to the content that introduced them. That's FIVE expansions of catch up, as opposed to the -one- that Monks had. The other obstacle Blizzard has with adding a regular Class is the Legion questing experience. A large part of Legion's game-play mechanics were tied into the complimentary Artifacts and Order Halls, and the large amount of lore that came with them. Even though Artifacts are currently de-powered, they still serve as the primary narrative tool towards your class' progression in Legion. And how feasible is it that they would make a new Class Hall for a future implemented regular Class, or have that regular Class have no Class Hall to act as a base of operations AT ALL during Legion, for that matter?

I'll add a poll after I post this. Comments and thoughts of course are welcome.
    Last edited by RedFenix; 2019-09-19 at 11:30 PM.
    "Pulsars are the bulimic cosmic anomalies..."

I doubt we'll ever see a new class that starts at level 1 again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling that the next class will be a non-hero class. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the next class is like the Monk (aka non-shadowy or edgy, and capable of performing all 3 roles).

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly i have a bad feeling that the new class will have a dps/tank/heal spec and will start at lvl 1 or 20 for the AR races.

I say sadly because i want to play Tinker so bad, but picking a class to only play 1 spec dosent feel good or right, so i guess ill just stick with the hunter when im feeling playing a ranged class...and i hate hunters because of their "nature ties" on all of the 3 specs.

Unless ofc they make the dps spec really unique and fun, but then ill be fucked if blizzard ever come up with a mage tower challenge again /sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    With a level squish we might, but as things stand? Not likely.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very likely. Just remove Legion as a requirement in the leveling flow. Remove all old expansions as being required.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    The next expansion will include a level squish, world revamp, talent overhaul and a new class that starts at a low level.

New playable races are also going to make an appearance. Mostly cause they were slated for BFA but the poor reception of the expansion shifted the content plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Luk3ling View Post
    The next expansion will include a level squish, world revamp, talent overhaul and a new class that starts at a low level.

New playable races are also going to make an appearance. Mostly cause they were slated for BFA but the poor reception of the expansion shifted the content plan.
    To be fair, Blizzard said in a survey that a level squished is planned in the future, not that it's coming in the next xpac.

If you've paid attention at all to some of the Q&A from Ion, and other folks at Blizzard. They are in their words, "DONE" with hero classes, and the term in general. There ill never ever be another. So, the entire pretense of your argument is invalid.

If the level squish comes in the next expansion, then it's likely a world revamp will come too. Cata is old now and so is the world. It'd be strange to have a level squish and not a world revamp at the same time as no doubt the level squish would make revamping the world and balancing the leveling experience much easier. Especially as, as others have said, they could cut out the expansions as leveling requirements and simply have them as places you can visit for fun.

And all of that seems very likely since, while the expansion stories are great, they don't relate to the modern story very much. One issue a lot of people have had with FF14 is that not only is there a lot of game history to know from previous games, there's a huuuuuge amount of story to get through and remember before you hit max level content. WoW is approaching that same point, where new players don't have a clue wtf is going on then have to jump from expansion to expansion before catching up with current story. So making it easier for new players to feel involved from the get go, then go visit old content when and if they want to makes a lot of sense.

That all together makes me think that the devs were being genuine saying they were done with Hero classes. Everything points towards a level squish and world revamp happening, meaning it's also the perfect time to add in a new class that starts at level 1 and is involved in the current story.

So if they are adding a new class, it'll be level 1. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't add a new class as they already suck at balancing the 36(?) specs we have already and adding another 2-3 is even more work. Then again, all the classes are so homogenized at this point, they could probably balance one spec and copy and paste the numbers to similar abilities of every other class.

I hope no more classes ever. They already have their hands full

- - - Updated - - -

and if they add a level 1 class i will just use my boost. really.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to stop at some point. I think its time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

They could stop after adding the Tinker. Every other class concept either isnt a viable class concept, or is covered by existing classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The next Class will likely be the last but it isn't fully decided yet. The focus in the future will be adding new and diversifying old specializations, including new roles or styles for classes to choose from: Ranged Rogue, Sword&Board "DPS" Warrior, and Tanking specs for Warlock, Hunter and Shaman are all on the table at the moment.

Boosts are going away for an indefinite amount of time after the squish and the leveling process over all is going to be a far smoother curve. Early levels will take longer, later levels will not take as long. This is mostly being done based on information gathered from Classic. Leveling won't take as long as in Classic, but it will feel a little longer but also smoother than on retail and your classes kit will come more slowly.

Questing is intended to be the most efficient way to level without exception.

The aim is that completion of the main storyline will bring you from level 1 to level 60, at which point you'll enter into the new expansion content. There will, however, be many other avenues to reach level cap and you will not have to rely on the singular path. Quests will be very plentiful and you'll be able to freely pick and choose what you want to do and what you don't without fear of coming up short.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    If you've paid attention at all to some of the Q&A from Ion, and other folks at Blizzard. They are in their words, "DONE" with hero classes, and the term in general. There ill never ever be another. So, the entire pretense of your argument is invalid.
    I must have missed this part, do you have a source?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    They could stop after adding the Tinker. Every other class concept either isnt a viable class concept, or is covered by existing classes.
    My problem is not adding the tinker... My problem is blizzard not putting enough resources on class design. I cant trust them anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luk3ling View Post
    The next Class will likely be the last but it isn't fully decided yet. The focus in the future will be adding new and diversifying old specializations, including new roles or styles for classes to choose from: Ranged Rogue, Sword&Board "DPS" Warrior, and Tanking specs for Warlock, Hunter and Shaman are all on the table at the moment.

Boosts are going away for an indefinite amount of time after the squish and the leveling process over all is going to be a far smoother curve. Early levels will take longer, later levels will not take as long. This is mostly being done based on information gathered from Classic. Leveling won't take as long as in Classic, but it will feel a little longer but also smoother than on retail and your classes kit will come more slowly.

Questing is intended to be the most efficient way to level without exception.

The aim is that completion of the main storyline will bring you from level 1 to level 60, at which point you'll enter into the new expansion content. There will, however, be many other avenues to reach level cap and you will not have to rely on the singular path. Quests will be very plentiful and you'll be able to freely pick and choose what you want to do and what you don't without fear of coming up short.
    Where are you getting this info?

- - - Updated - - -

Ranged Rogue = Survival Hunter, at least it should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of which, if theres a class that needs a full revamp is hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by gleepot View Post
    I must have missed this part, do you have a source?
    I mean, if you watched the Q&A's he's done on this through legion/bfa, he mentioned it. I spent amount 20 mins looking for the specific one, but there are far too many at this point. But I watched it here on MMO-C while he was streaming a Q&A.

I think next class is Tinker, it won't be a hero class. I have no idea how they'll incorporate it into Legion content. but maybe they'll just make old content skippable via world revamp?
    Whatever...

Both. It'll be both

The only missing core RPG archetype class is bards. All other suggestions are either hero classes or potential different specs for existing classes (necromancer is a caster DK, tinker is a hero class, dark ranger is a hero class).

10+ Year Old Account
    Next class is not Tinker, you guys need to give up on this nonsense as much as people need to give up
    on Vulpera and High Elves.