Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

A feature Retail WoW desperately needs!

So I was just thinking about a few things after my WOW experience in BFA. I am a mature working father-to-be who has played WOW since it's release and its a game that is incredibly sentimental to me and is where I found the person I am spending the rest of my life with. The one and only thing that completely destroys WOW however, is the toxic community. It is a game that is unique in that there is a far larger ratio of toxic people than there are nice people.

More often than not if you pug content and often even in guild environments you come across people who have so much hate inside of them that they feel nothing to call people garbage, useless, and swear endlessly at others. For example: Today I was tanking +14 Kings Rest and we had this mage named --- snip ---. He must have trash talked every person in the Mythic, calling everyone such horrible things and left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Eventually everyone left even though the dungeon could have been done in time because the environment was just so unpleasant that arguing made it seem 'not worth the while'.

This is so common amongst the community and it left me thinking, is he a angsty teenager full of hate and is a bully at school or does his parents treat him horribly, or does anonymity give him some perception of authority that he feels he can treat and talk to others however he likes... I don't know. But I was talking to some people and were wondering why Blizzard hasn't introduced some sort of rating system like Uber where you get to rate other players based on the experience you had with them. So when you are looking for people to join you in a dungeon you can see if they are rated as toxic or friendly or whatever the case is. I can guarantee that if that was to happen people would start magically appearing more friendly based on the fact that they might not get invited to content because others can see that they are a terrible human being.

Imagine a system that encourages friendliness, that encourages people to finish a dungeon even if it didn't go the way you wanted it to. I would love to rate people after they downgrade your key for leaving because of one wipe. The system could be implemented in a way that if you leave a key that isn't complete you cannot rate anyone but the people that stay can. Suddenly people would get rated and known for being 'leavers'. I would love someone to create an addon like raider IO but instead you get rated by other players based on attitude. I would like to see toxic people leave wow because they attitudes and general outlook on life towards other people becomes public and they are forced to go play single player games or forced to improve their manners towards others.

Anyway, its something that can only be constructive and healthy for a game that is in desperate need of a purge of toxicity. It's one thing to be a player learning the game or getting used to harder content but to see someone being called a f***ing piece of Sh** for not being as pro as others might want is very sad.

Mod Edit: Naming and shaming is not allowed on these forums.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2019-10-21 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Removed disallowed content.

Quote Originally Posted by fanghorn83 View Post
    So I was just thinking about a few things after my WOW experience in BFA. I am a mature working father-to-be who has played WOW since it's release and its a game that is incredibly sentimental to me and is where I found the person I am spending the rest of my life with. The one and only thing that completely destroys WOW however, is the toxic community. It is a game that is unique in that there is a far larger ratio of toxic people than there are nice people.

More often than not if you pug content and often even in guild environments you come across people who have so much hate inside of them that they feel nothing to call people garbage, useless, and swear endlessly at others. For example: Today I was tanking +14 Kings Rest and we had this mage named --- snip ---. He must have trash talked every person in the Mythic, calling everyone such horrible things and left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Eventually everyone left even though the dungeon could have been done in time because the environment was just so unpleasant that arguing made it seem 'not worth the while'.

This is so common amongst the community and it left me thinking, is he a angsty teenager full of hate and is a bully at school or does his parents treat him horribly, or does anonymity give him some perception of authority that he feels he can treat and talk to others however he likes... I don't know. But I was talking to some people and were wondering why Blizzard hasn't introduced some sort of rating system like Uber where you get to rate other players based on the experience you had with them. So when you are looking for people to join you in a dungeon you can see if they are rated as toxic or friendly or whatever the case is. I can guarantee that if that was to happen people would start magically appearing more friendly based on the fact that they might not get invited to content because others can see that they are a terrible human being.

Imagine a system that encourages friendliness, that encourages people to finish a dungeon even if it didn't go the way you wanted it to. I would love to rate people after they downgrade your key for leaving because of one wipe. The system could be implemented in a way that if you leave a key that isn't complete you cannot rate anyone but the people that stay can. Suddenly people would get rated and known for being 'leavers'. I would love someone to create an addon like raider IO but instead you get rated by other players based on attitude. I would like to see toxic people leave wow because they attitudes and general outlook on life towards other people becomes public and they are forced to go play single player games or forced to improve their manners towards others.

Anyway, its something that can only be constructive and healthy for a game that is in desperate need of a purge of toxicity. It's one thing to be a player learning the game or getting used to harder content but to see someone being called a f***ing piece of Sh** for not being as pro as others might want is very sad.
    problem is it will never be objective, as some things are perceived toxic by some yet are completely normal to others
    Last edited by Aucald; 2019-10-21 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a game that is unique in that there is a far larger ratio of toxic people than there are nice people..
    I wish to disagree in the most formal of ways possible. And I mean this sincerely.

- - - Updated - - -

For example: Today I was tanking +14 Kings Rest and we had this mage named [REDACTED] from Kazzak. He must have trash talked every person in the Mythic
    Also name calling is against the rules :P
    It's a shame that Shadowlands killed PvE twinking. Still I enjoy the game.
    Endgame: Main, Alt

use the ignore button and continue playing
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Post was sent twice. Whoopsies. Urm.. Have some meaningless text instead :P
    It's a shame that Shadowlands killed PvE twinking. Still I enjoy the game.
    Endgame: Main, Alt

7+ Year Old Account
    Thing is that if you don't put effort to surround yourself with a good community you will mostly be left doing content with the toxic minority with whom nobody else wants to play because of that reason.

For the past 3 years I've been playing mostly stuff with my guild and a pug or few (when we need more ppl for a M+ or Farm Night raid) and in that time I met maybe a handful of toxic people, but before that it seemed like every single M+ had at least that one elitist toxic player.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

OP obviously never heard of review bombing.

This sounds like the worst thing ever. It's like raider.io put to the next level. Or given the current news, it sounds like the people score in China.

And you really want that in a game?

People are shit, every single one, just different intensities.

Either you learn to live with it or stop interacting with humans all together.

Rating systems have and never will work, they are player regulated and players are horrible at regulating themselves. Every game that allows you to commend, thumbs up, accolade, etc. someone else by the end of a run (In whatever activity, be it PVE or PVP) does nothing. Oh great, you have someone with say, 5000 commends, or someone with endorsement level 4, or say... It's worthless. Why?

Because at the end of the day, anyone who gets a lot of 'thumbs up' are the healers, supports, or the people who made the group, or... It doesn't signify that you're a good or friendly player at all. The purpose behind these systems always get skewed and turned into something completely different. At best, it helps you tell someone does their job alright (Which is not the same as being nice), or at worst it's an ePenis.

The way you get rid of toxicity is promoting reporting assholes and having your reports actually end up doing something and alerting you, the player, that it has actually done something to whatever player you reported.

So given the toxic community, you want to put a feature that can and will be abused on their hands?
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

much like in real life there are more good people than bad but the bad are far more noticeable and memorable so we end up feeling like they're the majority. it'd be great to have some kind of system that did reward the good and penalise those who are abusive, but not only would designing such a system be a huge task, it would inevitbly wind up being abused anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    there are many things that retail need desperately, not just 1
    imo the top is the thing that blizz flat out admit they f8cked up which is class design
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    I read kazzak server and allready knew where this would end ...

Ye, that's really fair. I see where you are coming from.

Today I was tanking +14 Kings Rest and we had this mage named --- snip ---. He must have trash talked every person in the Mythic, calling everyone such horrible things and left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
    Yeah no, there's 0 reason someone would start trash talking everyone out of nothing in M+, most of the time anyway.

Here's what i think is happening, judging by the +14 key and knowing that he's done +16 in his raiderio, he told you a good route/pull, and you as a tank with massive ego refuse to listen to him, and then you failed the pull, then he started flaming.

This is so common amongst the community and it left me thinking, is he a angsty teenager full of hate and is a bully at school or does his parents treat him horribly, or does anonymity give him some perception of authority that he feels he can treat and talk to others however he likes... I don't know.
    And then you start assuming things and tries to witch hunt the guy on public forum, because you're definitely the definition of wholesome and kind/non toxic WOW player that could do no wrong.

You're trash btw.

lol... Well... case and point.

There are two features already in the game that solve this issue. Ignoring the player is one way to silence them. The other is to kick them from the group. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by monkaW View Post
    Yeah no, there's 0 reason someone would start trash talking everyone out of nothing in M+, most of the time anyway.

Here's what i think is happening, judging by the +14 key and knowing that he's done +16 in his raiderio, he told you a good route/pull, and you as a tank with massive ego refuse to listen to him, and then you failed the pull, then he started flaming.

And then you start assuming things and tries to witch hunt the guy on public forum, because you're definitely the definition of wholesome and kind/non toxic WOW player that could do no wrong.

You're trash btw.
    You are wrong on all your assumptions but thank you for your criticism and proving my point.

If Blizzard took a page out FFXIV's book and had gm's reviewing reports of bad behavior and handing out suspensions for it people might hesitate to spew bile. That would cost more money than the automated right click report functionality so it will never happen as nice as it would be.

A system that encourages friendliness can be highly abused, developing a good community requires effort, reporting for bad attitudes does little especially when the toxic community vastly outnumbers the gms that put in the work, its much easier to do if blizzards cross server didnt exist and the server could blacklist asshats who make playing with them miserable.