Thread: WoW Q&A hosts

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

WoW Q&A hosts

Where do they find these people? i actually wanted to curl up and die of cringe when the dude started verbally describing that dumb "big brain" meme. They actually acted more socially awkward and strange than the red shirt guy whom is autistic, shouldn't they get professional entertainers? not people who take up time with their worthless question like "So the chronicles are canon?" that's a question someone who has never played warcraft or ever heard of the lore asks, the WHOLE reason that the chronicle series was written was to consolidate simplify and tweak the current lore all into 1 convenient place. Also this woman smiles like an alien attempting to pull it off for the very first time (example https://ibb.co/k4RChbm). did they actually find crazy people for this?

That's Evitel, popular WoW youtuber alongside her husband, Taliesen.

Blizzard hires popular personalities. A few years back, they had Chris Hardwick host the Q&A, who known for hosting The Walking Dead aftershow.

Insulting people because you don't like the way they look is really low hanging fruit, even for mmoc.
    The chronicle question, even though worded weird, was actually important. But i guess you already made your decision.

wow that is so rude. Btw if you reaaallly wanna see a very akward panel, go watch Warcraft III Reforge one. I was cringing the whole time

Obviously they are influencers, but this QnA was particularly unbearable.
    There was a thread with 1000s of unique questions on the forums, and they took maybe ONE question? Maybe NONE?
    Yet they did half a stand up routine and asked about 10 of their own questions.

To be fair, some of what they asked was insightful, but still, its really unfair that so few actual questions were asked.

In years past so many questions would line up Ion would answer 3-5 the following week as a gesture.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post
    Insulting people because you don't like the way they look is really low hanging fruit, even for mmoc.
    The chronicle question, even though worded weird, was actually important. But i guess you already made your decision.
    it's not about the way they look, it's fact she smiles like an alien, it's clearly the most phony smile in existence, it's like a joke smile when someone tells you to smile so you literally just smile with your mouth. it's creepy and unnerving like the uncanny valley. and no the question wasn't important, we were just lucky they ran a bit with it to tell us essentially "it's canon until we say otherwise" which we all could have assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumar View Post
    Where do they find these people? i actually wanted to curl up and die of cringe when the dude started verbally describing that dumb "big brain" meme. They actually acted more socially awkward and strange than the red shirt guy whom is autistic, shouldn't they get professional entertainers? not people who take up time with their worthless question like "So the chronicles are canon?" that's a question someone who has never played warcraft or ever heard of the lore asks, the WHOLE reason that the chronicle series was written was to consolidate simplify and tweak the current lore all into 1 convenient place. Also this woman smiles like an alien attempting to pull it off for the very first time (example https://ibb.co/k4RChbm). did they actually find crazy people for this?
    Yeah that guy is a weirdo. They both come across as incredibly fake.

- - - Updated - - -

it's not about the way they look, it's fact she smiles like an alien, it's clearly the most phony smile in existence, it's like a joke smile when someone tells you to smile so you literally just smile with your mouth. it's creepy and unnerving like the uncanny valley. and no the question wasn't important, we were just lucky they ran a bit with it to tell us essentially "it's canon until we say otherwise" which we all could have assumed.
    I can cut her some slack and say maybe she was nervous to be in the spotlight like that, but still, she was weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quoting myself from last night since it's relevant:

Panels: The Bad
    • Worst Panel: WoW Q&A. The prime rule of running a Q&A as a host is not to get in the way of the people asking questions. It was beyond annoying to hear the hosts deliver their little marriage jokes and continually barging in with their own questions while people standing in line looked annoyed that their limited time was being wasted. The very last thing you want to see at something like this is the floor person chatting away with the panel with 3 minutes to go while the last guy in line is clearly frustrated that he's not going to get a chance to ask his questions. It was bad all around. Next time: get someone who can deliver a question and get out of the way of the answer. People are there to hear the answers, not be entertained by the hosts.
    • Honorable mention: Diablo IV Q&A panel where the guy asking the questions apparently thought he was doing Top 40 radio. Unnecessary and distracted from the answers to the questions.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian Warrior View Post
    Yeah that guy is a weirdo. They both come across as incredibly fake.

- - - Updated - - -

I can cut her some slack and say maybe she was nervous to be in the spotlight like that, but still, she was weird.
    i totally could cut her some slack if she was just a blizzard employee, they hired these people to do this though, when you get a presenter one of the first qualifying questions should be "do you get nervous on stage" if the answer is anything other than no you don't hire that person, they have 1 job, that's to present when you act like a freshman in front of the class giving a speech, you're at the wrong job buddy. you don't hire someone who can't sing to act in a musical even if they're a fan or reviewer, etc of musicals.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Quoting myself from last night since it's relevant:
    Yep. There was one moment when I literally thought, dude shut up and let the next guy ask his question. You could already feel him absorbing the time of everyone around him.

- - - Updated - - -

i totally could cut her some slack if she was just a blizzard employee, they hired these people to do this though, when you get a presenter one of the first qualifying questions should be "do you get nervous on stage" if the answer is anything other than no you don't hire that person, they have 1 job, that's to present when you act like a freshman in front of the class giving a speech, you're at the wrong job buddy. you don't hire someone who can't sing to act in a musical even if they're a fan or reviewer, etc of musicals.
    Maybe she has never been in a position like that before? You have to do something for the first time to find out, and it takes courage to try something like this. Even guys who do this as a career admit they always get nervous, it never goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Obviously they are influencers, but this QnA was particularly unbearable.
    There was a thread with 1000s of unique questions on the forums, and they took maybe ONE question? Maybe NONE?
    Yet they did half a stand up routine and asked about 10 of their own questions.

To be fair, some of what they asked was insightful, but still, its really unfair that so few actual questions were asked.

In years past so many questions would line up Ion would answer 3-5 the following week as a gesture.
    It's been covered many, many, many, many times, the hosts DO NOT CHOOSE QUESTIONS. Every question asked was vetted by the CM staff, most of them hours if not days before the actual event. A blue in the general forums posted about it last week, they choose the questions, the people actually there are contacted, they get their question printed out, and they get in line.

Most of the questions they asked WERE from here, and Reddit, and elsewhere.

I can agree with this, they shouldn't get an influencer or twitch streamer or whatever doing the q/a it should be a community manager like Lore or someone who isn't trying to promote their channel with their personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian Warrior View Post
    Yep. There was one moment when I literally thought, dude shut up and let the next guy ask his question. You could already feel him absorbing the time of everyone around him.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe she has never been in a position like that before? You have to do something for the first time to find out, and it takes courage to try something like this. Even guys who do this as a career admit they always get nervous, it never goes away.
    It was their first time, that I'm aware of, and they have real jobs, this isn't their career. Which could change in the future, but they're not seasoned professionals, and honestly, did better than you could expect. Evitel is/was an actress, her parents own a theater in London, but Tal is just a WoW nerd like anyone else, who makes a silly youtube show. I think they did fine, honestly. Scott did a better job last year, but he has more experience doing large events like that, he hosts his own every year.

Yeah dude, that was Taliesen and Evitel, the... positive youtubers.

I was surprised to see Blizzard grabbed them. They sure rose up in prominence in a few short years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I can agree with this, they shouldn't get an influencer or twitch streamer or whatever doing the q/a it should be a community manager like Lore or someone who isn't trying to promote their channel with their personality.
    I agree with this though. I don't want to be mean, but it's like they are endorsing them and of course they are. Cause they tend to be very positive about the game at almost all times. But if there was no criticism, we wouldn't be here hearing the devs saying they are gonna (try to) fix things.

I don't want this to be all negative so i'm gonna add that i think they did a good job. I am sure it's very intimidating to be doing that.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-11-04 at 03:53 AM.

I think people are blaming them for what was really Blizzard's fault. The questions were all pre-selected by Blizzard, and there were very few that were allowed to be asked.

So all things considering, I thought they did pretty decent. Hell, Taliesen actually asked more interesting questions about the game itself than any of the people asking questions. Seemed like he was atleast trying to get some actual decent information into the Q&A.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The very last thing you want to see at something like this is the floor person chatting away with the panel with 3 minutes to go while the last guy in line is clearly frustrated that he's not going to get a chance to ask his questions.
    You realize that he did that because they burned through all the questions Blizzard allowed to be asked, right? He even said so on Twitter.
    Last edited by Teekey; 2019-11-04 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    totally forgot about lore and their CM team, yes this they can keep themselves composed, keep things moving along and more importantly i feel, most the community, especially those who go to blizzcon already probably know them so it's less awkward dealing with lore lets say then some youtube schmuck who thinks he's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Teekey View Post
    I thought they did pretty decent.

Hell, Taliesen actually asked more interesting questions about the game itself than any of the people asking questions.
    Hazel had a good one, too - but T&E and Hazel do actually play the game, and have made the same complaints on their streams that everyone here has, but they're not trying to position themselves as Preach or a min/max show, or tearing down mechanics, like Bellular.

I mean, what do you expect, Asmondgold hosting in between directing his "army" to invite him to a mount carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Hazel had a good one, too - but T&E and Hazel do actually play the game, and have made the same complaints on their streams that everyone here has, but they're not trying to position themselves as Preach or a min/max show, or tearing down mechanics, like Bellular.

I mean, what do you expect, Asmondgold hosting in between directing his "army" to invite him to a mount carry?
    The crowd would go blind from the lights shining off of his balding head so he'd be a health hazzard

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    It was their first time, that I'm aware of, and they have real jobs, this isn't their career. Which could change in the future, but they're not seasoned professionals, and honestly, did better than you could expect. Evitel is/was an actress, her parents own a theater in London, but Tal is just a WoW nerd like anyone else, who makes a silly youtube show. I think they did fine, honestly. Scott did a better job last year, but he has more experience doing large events like that, he hosts his own every year.
    hmm as an actress I guess she wouldn't be too nervous in such a situation

- - - Updated - - -

You realize that he did that because they burned through all the questions Blizzard allowed to be asked, right? He even said so on Twitter.
    How are we supposed to know that?

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not realize that. There was at least one person still in line holding a card who did not get to ask his question when it ended.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."