Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What 2 dungeons in every expansion best tell its story?

We all have favorite dungeons we love going through even 100 times to level alts because the story is so fun, and some we just groan when we get because the bosses are nobodies, there's too much trash and it's just boring. In your opinion, what two dungeons of every expansion best tell the story of said expansion?

BURNING CRUSADE:
    The Botanica
    Magisters' Terrace

Burning Crusade will likely be the hardest one since it had no linear story and the lore was just all over the place. You had Illidan creating Fel Orcs while bleeding Maghteridon dry, Kael'thas scheming behind his back, Lady Vashj trying to drown everything. I mean, sub-plots and side threats occur in every expansion, but Burning Crusade did the poorest job weaving its plots into a cohesive narrative, so I chose Kael'thas as perhaps the one focal point weaving all those plots together. His story is obviously told in Magisters' Terrace, which ties directly into Sunwell Plateau, the expansion's final raid, concluding his master plan. The Botanica I chose because it's fun, that last Druid Blood Elf boss is cool to fight and it does also portray Kael'thas' blood elves' plans.

WRATH OF THE LICH KING:
    The Culling of Stratholme
    Halls of Reflection

These were much easier to pick. Wrath had as many sub-plots and side stories if not more than BC, but I felt they were inter-woven so well through the overall narrative, and told through dungeon text and quests. Culling of Stratholme portrays Arthas' fall and Halls of Reflection his menace, tying in perfectly into ICC, the final showdown. You essentially have Arthas' beginning and near his end if you do these two dungeons.

CATACLYSM
    End Time
    Hour of Twilight

Cataclysm gets a lot of flack for Dragon Soul sucking so hard, but End Time and Hour of Twilight perfectly encapsulated Deathwing's story leading up to said bad raid. I came close to choosing Deadmines (Heroic) though, because Cataclysm was about as much as re-making Azeroth as it was Deathwing's threat, and I just loved Vanessa VanCleef's story from Westfall. It was told perfectly from beginning to end, culminating in a fun re-done Vanilla dungeon that is still one of my favorites to this day.

MISTS OF PANDARIA
    Shado-Pan Monastery
    Mogu'shan Palace

Even though I loved the Mantid as a race and threat, their dungeons were a pain in the ass from a game play stand point, so much so any story told there, which is bare anyway, don't make the cut. With that said, the meat of the lore for the most part in Mists before they made it about Garrosh out of nowhere, was the threat of The Sha, and the menace of The Mogu. Shado-Pan Monastery explores the threat of The Sha, complete with putting down the Sha of Violence, and defeating Taran Zhu, a very important character in Pandaria lore.

WARLORDS OF DRAENOR

Shadowmoon Burial Grounds
    Sky Reach

I'll be honest here, I skipped WoD. I only played the dungeons in their Timewalking iterations. I did gloss over the lore in WoD and like most, found it lacking, particularly in dungeons. I did however, play through the story in Shadowmaoon Valley, which concluded nicely in Shadowmoon Burian Grounds with Ner'zhul as the final boss. Sky Reach I chose just because I love the High Arakkoa.

LEGION
    Assault on Violet Hold
    Return to Karazhan

While Legion's game play and features were fun to me, the story and dungeons in particular were a little lacking as far as Legion presence goes. Everything seemed overshadowed by Nightborne presence. Wherever there were Legion forces, there were Nightborne around. So I just went with two old favorites re-done, Violet Hold and Karazhan. Both have Legion forces without the overbearing presence of Nightborne (who I love as an allied race, but got tired of pretty quickly with Suramar.) So many missed opportunities. Why didn't we have a dungeon with Lord Jaraxxus as the final boss?

We're not getting a new dungeon(s) in 8.3, so might as well include BfA too.

BATTLE FOR AZEROTH

Not gonna lie, I couldn't even choose a single dungeon I liked. I'm one of BfA's biggest advocates, but sure as hell not for its stories or dungeons. If not for allied races and the quest zones, I'd have bailed long ago. The story was bad. The dungeons were forgettable. The only dungeon I remotely remember enjoying a bit was the Zandalari dungeon where you fight the T-Rex in the beginning and then the spider boss towards the end, and that's it. While I loved Drustvar, Waycrest Manor and any other dungeons tied to the zone were just dreadful. Shrine of the Storm was fun in a challenging way with the boss with the octopus head-hopping, mind control thing, but no good lore to speak of. Felt like BC lore but with no likable one character (like Kael'thas.) Azshara, under-utilized, Sylvanas, not a single dungeon involving her (not that we needed one), dungeons were just unpleasant.

What were your two favorite dungeons that best represent each expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    We all have favorite dungeons we love going through even 100 times to level alts because the story is so fun, and some we just groan when we get because the bosses are nobodies, there's too much trash and it's just boring. In your opinion, what two dungeons of every expansion best tell the story of said expansion?

BURNING CRUSADE:
    The Botanica
    Magisters' Terrace

Burning Crusade will likely be the hardest one since it had no linear story and the lore was just all over the place. You had Illidan creating Fel Orcs while bleeding Maghteridon dry, Kael'thas scheming behind his back, Lady Vashj trying to drown everything. I mean, sub-plots and side threats occur in every expansion, but Burning Crusade did the poorest job weaving its plots into a cohesive narrative, so I chose Kael'thas as perhaps the one focal point weaving all those plots together. His story is obviously told in Magisters' Terrace, which ties directly into Sunwell Plateau, the expansion's final raid, concluding his master plan. The Botanica I chose because it's fun, that last Druid Blood Elf boss is cool to fight and it does also portray Kael'thas' blood elves' plans.

WRATH OF THE LICH KING:
    Halls of Reflection

These were much easier to pick. Wrath had as many sub-plots and side stories if not more than BC, but I felt they were inter-woven so well through the overall narrative, and told through dungeon text and quests. Culling of Stratholme portrays Arthas' fall and Halls of Reflection his menace, tying in perfectly into ICC, the final showdown. You essentially have Arthas' beginning and near his end if you do these two dungeons.

CATACLYSM
    End Time
    Hour of Twilight

Cataclysm gets a lot of flack for Dragon Soul sucking so hard, but End Time and Hour of Twilight perfectly encapsulated Deathwing's story leading up to said bad raid. I came close to choosing Deadmines (Heroic) though, because Cataclysm was about as much as re-making Azeroth as it was Deathwing's threat, and I just loved Vanessa VanCleef's story from Westfall. It was told perfectly from beginning to end, culminating in a fun re-done Vanilla dungeon that is still one of my favorites to this day.

MISTS OF PANDARIA
    Shado-Pan Monastery
    Mogu'shan Palace

Even though I loved the Mantid as a race and threat, their dungeons were a pain in the ass from a game play stand point, so much so any story told there, which is bare anyway, don't make the cut. With that said, the meat of the lore for the most part in Mists before they made it about Garrosh out of nowhere, was the threat of The Sha, and the menace of The Mogu. Shado-Pan Monastery explores the threat of The Sha, complete with putting down the Sha of Violence, and defeating Taran Zhu, a very important character in Pandaria lore.

WARLORDS OF DRAENOR

Sky Reach

I'll be honest here, I skipped WoD. I only played the dungeons in their Timewalking iterations. I did gloss over the lore in WoD and like most, found it lacking, particularly in dungeons. I did however, play through the story in Shadowmaoon Valley, which concluded nicely in Shadowmoon Burian Grounds with Ner'zhul as the final boss. Sky Reach I chose just because I love the High Arakkoa.

LEGION
    Assault on Violet Hold
    Return to Karazhan

While Legion's game play and features were fun to me, the story and dungeons in particular were a little lacking as far as Legion presence goes. Everything seemed overshadowed by Nightborne presence. Wherever there were Legion forces, there were Nightborne around. So I just went with two old favorites re-done, Violet Hold and Karazhan. Both have Legion forces without the overbearing presence of Nightborne (who I love as an allied race, but got tired of pretty quickly with Suramar.) So many missed opportunities. Why didn't we have a dungeon with Lord Jaraxxus as the final boss?

BATTLE FOR AZEROTH

Not gonna lie, I couldn't even choose a single dungeon I liked. I'm one of BfA's biggest advocates, but sure as hell not for its stories or dungeons. If not for allied races and the quest zones, I'd have bailed long ago. The story was bad. The dungeons were forgettable. The only dungeon I remotely remember enjoying a bit was the Zandalari dungeon where you fight the T-Rex in the beginning and then the spider boss towards the end, and that's it. While I loved Drustvar, Waycrest Manor and any other dungeons tied to the zone were just dreadful. Shrine of the Storm was fun in a challenging way with the boss with the octopus head-hopping, mind control thing, but no good lore to speak of. Felt like BC lore but with no likable one character (like Kael'thas.) Azshara, under-utilized, Sylvanas, not a single dungeon involving her (not that we needed one), dungeons were just unpleasant.

Let me give you the literature version of what all that garbage you just typed up is.

Imagine each xpac is its own book. Someone lays them out infront of you and asks you which story you like the most. And before you answer, they proceed to rip out 95% of the pages in the book and tell you that you can only pick from the 5% of the pages left, none of which connect with each other at any time

So no, not gonna work. Now, if you had asked which zone to dungeon flow had the best story, there would be a ton of discussion to be had. But this is a waste of time
    Never believe you have seen the peak of human stupidity and ignorance, or you will constantly be surprised by the new levels the reach almost every day

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbalt View Post
    Let me give you the literature version of what all that garbage you just typed up is.

Imagine each xpac is its own book. Someone lays them out infront of you and asks you which story you like the most. And before you answer, they proceed to rip out 95% of the pages in the book and tell you that you can only pick from the 5% of the pages left, none of which connect with each other at any time

So no, not gonna work. Now, if you had asked which zone to dungeon flow had the best story, there would be a ton of discussion to be had. But this is a waste of time
    So you're going to sit there and pretend every single dungeon in every expansion was instrumental to the overall plot and not just a throwaway instance to stuff the sausage and that some dungeons aren't more relevant to driving the plot while others offer nothing but trinkets?

TBC: - hellfire ramparts
    - shadow labs

WOTLK: - halls of stone
    - utgarde keep

CATACLYSM
    Hour of Twilight
    I have to disagree on Hour of Twilight probably because the dungeon itself is awful, but nonetheless I disagree. It's easily the most forgettable dungeon in the entire game and the only one that I can't remember the name of half the time. The only major plot point in the dungeon is that the archbishop is now leading the Twilights Hammer clan, nothing else from the dungeon stands out (If there even is anything else in the dungeon).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbalt View Post

Asking which dungeon has the best story is the same as asking which subplot in LOTR has the best story. It is a valid question to ask and have a discussion about.

Burning Crusade
    - Shattered Halls
    - Magister's Terrace

WotLK
    - Utgarde Pinnacle
    - Halls of Reflection

Cataclysm
    - Grim Batol
    - Hour of Twilight

Mists
    - Temple of the Jade Serpent
    - Shado'Pan Monastery

Legion
    - Vault of the Wardens
    - Cathedral of Eternal Night

BfA
    - Siege of Boralus (faction war)
    - Shrine of the Storm (N'zoth)

That said, dungeons have always been more about exploring side stories or wrapping up the overarcing story of a zone rather than telling the main story. That is what raids are for.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2019-11-17 at 05:36 PM.

TBC- Blood Furnace, MGT

Wrath- Halls of Thunder(the Loken one), Halls of Reflection

Cata- The names escape me so the one in Blackrock where they made DW, the one with the twilight dragon eggs

Mists- Jade Temple, Ox Temple assault

WoD- Iron Docks, Auchenai Tombs kr whatever

Legion- Wardens, Cathedral

Not gonna lie, I couldn't even choose a single dungeon I liked. I'm one of BfA's biggest advocates, but sure as hell not for its stories or dungeons. If not for allied races and the quest zones, I'd have bailed long ago. The story was bad. The dungeons were forgettable.
    While I can agree with most of that: I urge you to maybe revisit The Underrot, Temple of Sethrallis and King's Rest. These stuck out to me the same way Atal'dazar did for you.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

BURNING CRUSADE:
    The Botanica
    Magisters' Terrace

WRATH OF THE LICH KING:
    Halls of Reflection

CATACLYSM
    End Time
    Hour of Twilight

MISTS OF PANDARIA
    Shado-Pan Monastery
    Mogu'shan Palace

WARLORDS OF DRAENOR

Sky Reach

LEGION
    Assault on Violet Hold
    Return to Karazhan

BATTLE FOR AZEROTH

She was litterally doing the opposite, she was trying to drain all of Zangarmarsh and control the freshwater supply in all of Outland - Jesus Christ.... Then again, your post is in general just a whole lot of nonsense which shows you've paid very little attention to the story.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

BfA has had some fun dungeons imo. I guess your mileage may vary.

Underrot
    Waycrest
    AD
    Shrine of the Storm
    Mecha

All awesome dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

BfA
    - Siege of Boralus (faction war)
    - Shrine of the Storm (N'zoth)

That said, dungeons have always been more about exploring side stories or wrapping up the overarcing story of a zone rather than telling the main story. That is what raids are for.
    Siege of Boralus isn't a faction war, the siege is done by Ashvane.

The horde version is them just looting during the fighting between the Alliance and Ashvane.

I would personally say Waycrest Manor and Shrine probably, or maybe Kings Rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    favorites re-done, Violet Hold
    Yes. If you are a sadist.

Violet Hold is one of the worst dungeons ever created, and they made us do the shitting thing in two expansions. Seriously, fuck that place.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    While I can agree with most of that: I urge you to maybe revisit The Underrot, Temple of Sethrallis and King's Rest. These stuck out to me the same way Atal'dazar did for you.
    Ok, I will give you Temple of Sethrallis was enjoyable, especially healing the final boss reminded me of ICC and the Sethrak had a good story that wrapped up there. I don't even remember Underrot purely by name, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post

Violet Hold is one of the worst dungeons ever created, and they made us do the shitting thing in two expansions. Seriously, fuck that place.
    Lol I knew this was coming. I'm probably one in a million that liked Violet Hold. Why? I'm a lazy player sometimes. Sometimes I get home from work tired as shit, my mind is checked out, but maybe I wanted to do a dungeon or just do my daily for justice points. VH provided a retreat for me to do a dungeon without using my brain, especially as a healer. Turn right, cap everyone off, run a bit to the left, cap everyone off. Profit.

I also enjoy prison break stories, like when there's an Arkham Asylym or Blackgate Prison break story in a Batman comic? I eat that shit up.

10+ Year Old Account
    While Underrot is my fav BFA dungeon, I agree with @Khaza-R that the two dungeons that best sum up the story are Siege of Boralus and Shrine of the Storms. Siege invovles the faction conflict and is in a more grounded setting compared than the zandalari-related dungeons, and Shrine of the Storms includes elements of Azshara and N'Zoth's involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post

I actually liked VH, It had variety in the bosses. Not the same each time. Except for the last.

For BFA I love Waycrest, it’s the best dungeon endcap to a zone in the game. Drustvar was just great.

7+ Year Old Account

BURNING CRUSADE:
    The Botanica
    Magisters' Terrace

WRATH OF THE LICH KING:
    Halls of Reflection

CATACLYSM
    End Time
    Hour of Twilight

MISTS OF PANDARIA
    Shado-Pan Monastery
    Mogu'shan Palace

WARLORDS OF DRAENOR

Sky Reach

LEGION
    Assault on Violet Hold
    Return to Karazhan

BATTLE FOR AZEROTH

For OP about lore in expansions, your dungeons odly enough does not really connect much with any of the expansions xD Like, you take dungeons that are not even closely to the main story, despite dungeons being present, that actually TELL the story.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

My bet would be:

The Burning Crusade - The Blood Furnace (introduces you to Magtheridon and a first mention of Illidan) and Magister's Terrace

Wrath of the Lich King - Culling of Stratholme and Halls of Reflection (both most heavily Lich King focussed)

Cataclysm - Grim Batol and End Time (Hour of Twilight hardly told a good story and there was no atmosphere)

Mists of Pandaria - Temple of the Jade Serpent and Shado Pan Monastery (none of MoP's dungeons stand out, but at least these show the damage that the sha causes)

Warlords of Draenor - Iron Docks and Auchindoun (they do the best job protraying the Iron Horde and Shadow Council)

Legion - Vault of the Warden and Cathedral of Eternal Night (honorable mention to The Arcway for the Nightborne story, but the former 2 is more about the Legion)

Battle for Azeroth - Shrine of the Storm and then its either King's rest (Zandalari story) and Siege of Boralus (Kul'Tiras story)

@op stop posting top tier trash post plz... people like you who play one hundredth of the game and be vocal as hell about every aspect of the game are the worst...
    you have no reference and basically no interest in it, otherwise you would have invested more time playing, and yet you manage to voice your flawed opinion loudly...

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    @op stop posting top tier trash post plz... people like you who play one hundredth of the game and be vocal as hell about every aspect of the game are the worst...
    you have no reference and basically no interest in it, otherwise you would have invested more time playing, and yet you manage to voice your flawed opinion loudly...
    Are you going to contribute to the topic or post this trash? If you don't like the thread subject, you can ignore it.