Holiday Traditions - What Do You Do?

I was talking with some co-workers this week about Halloween, and how they celebrate it with their friends and family(My parent's never really liked it because of the neighborhood we lived in, so we just didn't do stuff for it.) We started talking about Thanksgiving and how quickly a couple of them buy their Christmas trees the day after. Which got me wondering, do people still go all out for holidays? Kinda hard to actually find out what people do.
    What do you guys do for Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Do you visit family for Thanksgiving? Do you attend a parade of some sort? Do you get off work for it? How about Black Friday?

Do you celebrate Christmas? Do you visit family? Do you attend a parade? Do you get off work for Christmas Eve? Do you attend a Christmas Eve service? Do you do a family/friends dinner?

If not Christmas, what holidays do you celebrate during the month of December?

5+ Year Old Account
    i dont celebrate thanksgiving, christmas, black friday or halloween...

Quote Originally Posted by TaloX View Post
    I was talking with some co-workers this week about Halloween, and how they celebrate it with their friends and family(My parent's never really liked it because of the neighborhood we lived in, so we just didn't do stuff for it.) We started talking about Thanksgiving and how quickly a couple of them buy their Christmas trees the day after. Which got me wondering, do people still go all out for holidays? Kinda hard to actually find out what people do.
    What do you guys do for Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Do you visit family for Thanksgiving? Do you attend a parade of some sort? Do you get off work for it? How about Black Friday?

Do you celebrate Christmas? Do you visit family? Do you attend a parade? Do you get off work for Christmas Eve? Do you attend a Christmas Eve service? Do you do a family/friends dinner?

If not Christmas, what holidays do you celebrate during the month of December?
    Halloween we watch scary movies

Christmas/Thanksgiving we go to our families home. My and my wife's parents are out of town for us. So one year we will spend Thanksgiving at her moms and then Christmas at mine, then the next year we swap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanksgiving is the second Monday of October, so it is a little early to decorate the Christmas tree. Besides, "l'Action de Grâce" is not a holiday that is celebrated a lot in Québec. I don't know if it is in the rest of Canada. Anyhow, Thanksgiving is, more often than not, the occasion to take a last long week end at the "chalet" (secondary house?) and to close it for winter. But since I don't have one, it's just a long week end.

Halloween is relatively recent here (1960-1970s), but has quickly grown in popularity. Before that, the holiday when people would have been masquerading would have been Mardi-Gras or "Mi-Carême" (Mid-Lent). Like in USA, children go in the neighbouring houses to collect candies. When I was a child, there was also the tradition of collecting money for Unicef in small, sealed boxes. People would give some pennies to the children. There are also parties. Some people spend a good amount of money to decorate their houses with pumpkins, spider webs, "ghosts", tombstones, etc. Personnaly, I have stopped caring for the holiday since I became a teenager. It's amusing to look at the costumes, but that's pretty much that.

Black Friday exists under the name "Vendredi Fou" (Crazy Friday). Mainly because of Internet and online sales. Because, really, why should we care about the day following american Thanksgiving? And it is indeed crazy, for so many reasons... Like the Boxing Day, I don't consider that a holiday, just a commercial gimmick.

Christmas is my favorite holiday. I usually dress a tree by the beginning of Advent. I also have a Nativity set. I visit family, of course. Christmas is THE family holiday. Family means the enlarged family here (grand-parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.). The main event is the "réveillon." It is a feast that lasts all night long on Christmas Eve. Traditionally, people would go to the Midnight Mass, or another mass in the evening. Then they will gather home and eat traditional cuisine (turkey and cranberry sauce, meat pies, tourtière, pork legs stew, Yule log, pies of all sorts, candies, fudge, "sucre à la crème", potato candies, etc.). But in my family the meal is usually a buffet with cold meals. Because the turkey and the meat pie can make you sleepy... Then the presents will be distributed by the real Santa Claus (a drunk uncle) and children are very much awake. The party often ends by the early light. People wake up (if their children let them) well past noon, in time to get prepared for the Christmas supper, where the other family (ex.: your wife's) will greet you with the same kind of food. I love it!

And all of this will be repeated on New Year's Eve, but without presents (although the tradition in Québec, a century ago, was to give presents on New Year's Day). But nowadays, New Year's Eve tends to be more with friends than family, at least for me. I will meet my family during the supper. On New Year's Eve, I usually listen to year reviews, usually humoristic, like the traditional "Bye Bye" on Radio-Canada (CBC). It is also an occasion to listen to traditional music such as this:

"Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Would love to celebrate Octoberfest, but it hasn't yet broken through in popularity in Finland.

For Halloween I don't have traditions, but have attended costume parties a few times, which is something I'd like to be a tradition. It's just that I don't have a regular crew that's into them, so I get to partake only if I'm invited by a more distant friend.

Thanksgiving is not a thing in Finland, but this year I'm celebrating it anyway. A friend had the idea of a get-together dinner at their place and Thanksgiving felt like a good excuse for it.

I spend Christmas with my parents and sister at the apartment I grew up in. The day before eve I'm hauling a tree to that apartment, either purchased from a tree seller or received from a friend from his family's forest plot. On that same day my mother is cooking the ham, which is finished by nighttime, ready for a delicious tasting session while it's still freshly out of the oven.

On the next day, eve, I'm attending a mulled wine (glögi translated by Google) tasting at a friends' place, then relocate to a gathering to listen to the Christmas peace declaration. After that I return to my parents' apartment and help my mother with dinner preparation. By the evening we get to what was my favourite part of the entire year when I was still a kid: Opening the presents.

On Christmas day there aren't any more scheduled events, just hanging out with the family and eating what's left of the Christmas dinner stuff. On Boxing day I return home, possibly attending a friend's birthday party if he's having one. The following day regular life resumes, meaning I get back to work or use my surplus hours to have an extra day off, playing video games or something.

As a kid Christmas was all about the presents and festive atmosphere, but as an adult man able to purchase most things I desire I no longer anticipate the present-part as much. Now it's the festive mood I look forward to and enjoy through December. I don't mind Finland's terrible Autumn so much, because secular Christmas season is right after it. I'm agnostic and quite peeved religions are still a major thing in our modern world, but there is some nostalgic value to even the religious parts of the season, such as the songs.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2019-10-31 at 10:12 AM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

My family are middle eastern Christians so we celebrate Christmas a bit different. The season starts in November and is filled with 45 days of fasting and giving charity every week without any form of bragging. Then once its over its several days of celebration and feasting. The nativity only being one small part of it.

We still do the tree and some of the other westernized traditions but overall its not really a commercialized experience. We don't really observe thanksgiving but still all get together as family that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Christmas is my favorite holiday. I usually dress a tree by the beginning of Advent. I also have a Nativity set. I visit family, of course. Christmas is THE family holiday. Family means the enlarged family here (grand-parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.). The main event is the "réveillon." It is a feast that lasts all night long on Christmas Eve. Traditionally, people would go to the Midnight Mass, or another mass in the evening. Then they will gather home and eat traditional cuisine (turkey and cranberry sauce, meat pies, tourtière, pork legs stew, Yule log, pies of all sorts, candies, fudge, "sucre à la crème", potato candies, etc.). But in my family the meal is usually a buffet with cold meals. Because the turkey and the meat pie can make you sleepy... Then the presents will be distributed by the real Santa Claus (a drunk uncle) and children are very much awake. The party often ends by the early light. People wake up (if their children let them) well past noon, in time to get prepared for the Christmas supper, where the other family (ex.: your wife's) will greet you with the same kind of food. I love it!

And all of this will be repeated on New Year's Eve, but without presents (although the tradition in Québec, a century ago, was to give presents on New Year's Day). But nowadays, New Year's Eve tends to be more with friends than family, at least for me. I will meet my family during the supper. On New Year's Eve, I usually listen to year reviews, usually humoristic, like the traditional "Bye Bye" on Radio-Canada (CBC). It is also an occasion to listen to traditional music such as this:
    All of this sounds really awesome, thanks for sharing what Christmas is like for you and your family in Québec!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanksgiving

Celebrate First Nation people, with Canadian Relatives.

Halloween

I have always chilled handed out Candy (Snickers and Milky Way) cause I am the cool house LOL, but now I have a fiance for the last few years we watch some movies snuggle and hand out candy.

Thanksgiving

I have 2, 1 in Canada with my relatives and the other with just my mom . Now I have a fiance we typically either go to San Diego where she is From and visit her family with my mom, or her family visits here, and we of course over all have Turkey, and all the fixing followed by Football or a Movie, that's what we are doing this year so let see how it goes

Veterans Day

Honor our military and those that serve that make all this other shit possible by giving up and risking their lives for ours. Spend time with Church members and attend a dinner for our veterans.

Hanukkah

Fiancee is Scientologist and Christian, but her grandparents and some family are Jewish, so I guess I am learning more about this the last few years.

Christmas

Spend time with my mom, and Now I spend time with my mom and Fiance and some friends. Basically go to see the lights which is my favorite part of the season after the food, and caroling, we also attend Church during the days before Christmas. The reason for the season in our household.

New Years

Me and Fiance spend time with friends until the ball drops watching movies eating pizza and champagne.

Valentine's Day

Get my fiance something nice, like some chocolates and fruit, book some time at a spa for her and some alone time after a special dinner.

Saint Patrick's Day

Nothing me nor my Fiancee are Irish.

Easter

Church Obviously with my Fiance along with watching Passion of the Christ

Memorial Day

BBQ Brats and Fries and a Baseball game with friends

4th of July

Full on BBQ typically go boating on Lake Minnetonka with the Fiance and some friends watch Fireworks.

Labor Day

BBQ last time, and have friends and family over or go see some movies with my Fiance typically all the blockbusters of the summer.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

5+ Year Old Account
    This year we're having Thanksgiving at our house. Last year we tried what my soon-to-be father suggested and went to a buffet. Since that was horrible--and I'll hold it against him until the day he dies--we're doing it the traditional way. However I'm still not sure what my mother plans on making or what she may want us to bring ourselves.

Nowadays I don't do much for other Holidays. I want to but either: No one in my family cares too much, Broke College student, No kids in the family, or They're traveling and I have pets I can't leave for long.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    For Thanksgiving + Valentine's Day + abc other 'murica day; nothing atall (its what you make of it I guess, but none of those are big occasions here).

Halloween; minus a "themed" party- during the closest weekend, nothing really.

Winter vecation; a trip to the alps w family or friends.

X mas table "Julebord" x2-4; work / friends x2-3 (like a semi reunion w friends from high school/ college/ uni/ the military).
    Takes place during the weekends leading up to xmas, eating out (normally) with co workers/ friends.
    Serving traditional x-mas food ect, but mostly its just heavy drinking.

X mas holliday; With the family in a mountain cabin (like a normal house, only 1k above sea lvl where you only need to step outside the door to be at the ski track).

New year; party at a friends house/ the city or both, -either that or organize something at a cabin.

Easter vecation; also usually spendt skiing in the alps.

17. may (our "4th of july"); Now its just drinking & partying with friends the night befoure + the actual 17th may night.
    But it was alittle diffrent when I was younger ofc with parades and such.

Summer vecation; sailing (at home, the adriatic or greece), spending time at the summer house or at home (if the global warming gods are kind).
    And taking more typical hollyday trips (usually cultural).

Midsummer; at most lit a bonfire during a boating trip or at the docks but its not something we make a big deal out of (midsummer is much more of a Swedish thing).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to hand out candy and see how many kids my English cocker spaniel will make cry. Last year was 1. His record is 2. What the hell kind of soft-ass kid is scared of an English cocker spaniel...

Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

15+ Year Old Account
    Christmas is the only holiday I even remotely celebrate. Visiting my parents then. All the rest are just normal days for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

During Halloween we typically have Colcannon, trick or treating isn't that big here in Ireland.

During Christmas we typically have a family gathering for Xmas dinner, either at mother's place or sister's, with those from abroad staying a few days.

Pretty much the only two holidays we do something out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately, there is no tradition with me, each period is different. When I was little, I spent time with my family - now I am quarreled with them. Later I spent the holidays with friends or with my girlfriend. For 4 years (since I have a daughter), sometimes I spend Christmas with the daughter and family of my ex-girlfriend (terribly artificial atmosphere) and smalltalks (each time they tell the same story, everyone knows it by heart and every time they pretend to be surprised and burst out laughing) . Or with friends in my city, but unfortunately no daughter. There were also holidays when I had to work, because the department I managed operated 24/7. On holidays I like to have peace, quiet, friends and daughter

10+ Year Old Account
    Christmas is a weird time, because everyone in my family works around that day, and even when I have Christmas off, I spend most of it sleeping because work wore me out the day before lol

My sister is a nurse so she gets called in to work Christmas. My dad sometimes works Christmas as he works in an oil refinery, My mum no longer works but she lives with her boyfriend who I dont get along with.

Long gone are the days when the whole family would get together at my parents house. Christmas just hasn't been the same since my parents got divorced back in 2003 unfortunately.

But I do love Christmas and I love buying presents for people. I have many things I like doing around that time

Garden centres, Christmas at my local garden centre is just the best, so much nostalgia that I tend to go alone and just look around at all the trees and the decorations and garden ornaments. When I think of Christmas I think of coming here with my mum and dad when I was really young and me and my sister playing with the Christmas decorations they'd have on sale.

Shopping, aside from the hustle and bustle I love Christmas shopping, I love when allt he christmas stuff is up and the music is playing, I know people hate Christmas music but I am that horrible guy that loves it.

Decorating. Despite working like a fox over Christmas I do tend to do my flat up with as much Christmas decoration as possible. When I was a kid my dad would always go out and get a tree on the 15th December every year. It was always the 15th to this day I have no idea why. Now my flat doesnt allow room for Christmas trees because my land lord is a tight ass scrooge, but I over compensate with other things. Plus Christmas day is usually spent at my mums place and she is just as mad as X-Mas as I am and will have best Christmas tree.

Thinks thats all the stuff I like doing.

Just sit with family and have a nice evening

Holiday traditions are pretty serious in my family. we try to watch a Halloween movie every night in October. Halloween we take our boys to the hospital my fiancé works at then to family members houses. we overly decorate for every holiday.

November we watch a lot of thanksgiving movies/cartoons with the kids go to the local parade. we Have a farm so I grow pumpkins hay ect and use some for decorations. thanksgiving we have 3 meals to attend. my close family (my dads side) has annual thanksgiving/Christmas dinner then my moms side/fiances family meals. always put the Christmas tree up the day after thanksgiving.

Black Friday the women in the family all get together and go shopping I gladly have no idea what goes on.

December is lots of Christmas decorations daily Christmas movies, local parade/Christmas mall. weekly drives at night to take the kids to look at Christmas lights. Christmas eve we let the kids open 1 present and at night ill usually get on the roof and stomp around with bells or mess with them some way. Christmas dinner with the families where we exchange gifts.

new years we get together and have a traditional meal. my close family's always made holidays fun for the kids so I guess that's where I get my love for this time of year. 15 of us live on the same road so we all get together a lot.

Any military holiday some of us get together and grill. few veterans in the family.

valentines just take my fiancé out for a nice afternoon.

easter church with the family. hide eggs for the kids

memorial day/4th of july are spent at the lake. always bbq fireworks ect ect
    Last edited by purpledream; 2019-11-07 at 06:08 PM.

I spend a couple days at my mothers for Christmas. Dont do presents or anything tho.

Other than that i don't do any of the holidays.