Thread: Wasteland 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Started the game, encountered many bugs up until i just couldnt progress anymore.

I'll try again when it's actually playable.

It doesnt help that Covenants have nothing to do with RPGs at release. Hopefully they add RPG elements in later patches.

I finished it and I'd give it a solid 8/10, it'll be an easy 9/10 if they fix the bugs, performance issues and ridiculous loading screens. I can't remember the last time a game completely sucked me into it's world, they did a fantastic job making the world feel lived in and interesting. The big highlights were atmosphere, music, voice work, story and fun interactions. They've said they're doing more story content once they've fixed all the issues and I'll definitely be doing a new playthrough when they do.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't expecting to fight Santa, but I didn't have the skills necessary to finagle through it, also apparently the quest can't be resolved because Mary died in the crossfire?

Vic's gang is tougher, currently wrapping that up. Would probably be easier if I left for a vendor to resupply on turrets and 50 cal.

Pretty decent game. Enjoyed the Qol improvements over wasteland 2 like hit chances being displayed for where you're moving to before you actually move. Games atmosphere and sound is great. Some of the map seems pretty useless though but maybe dlc will be added into those zones. Loading times really need to be cut down though.

Encountered a few bugs like the one that resets your stats if you switch out one of your two original rangers, and another one that would basically give you infinite money. Tried it on the Xbox first but the game crashed literally every 20 minutes so moved to the PC.

The cut down of the skills compared to wasteland 2 makes it much easier to get into at the beginning. Wasteland 2 just had too much bloat with separating everything type of weapon Into its own skill or having multiple skills that really should of been one like safecracking + lockpicking or first aid + surgeon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lockpicking feels weird because you can just shoot/smash doors down, most of them anyway.

Weird Science and Nerd Stuff is also interesting. There was a Weird Science skill check that I was expecting to be Nerd Stuff, threw me off, but I liked it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    I wasn't expecting to fight Santa, but I didn't have the skills necessary to finagle through it, also apparently the quest can't be resolved because Mary died in the crossfire?

Vic's gang is tougher, currently wrapping that up. Would probably be easier if I left for a vendor to resupply on turrets and 50 cal.
    Vics area has/had two vendors. I think both required skill checks, though.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Weird Science and Nerd Stuff is also interesting. There was a Weird Science skill check that I was expecting to be Nerd Stuff, threw me off, but I liked it.
    Felt like the two should've been combined into one skill, or maybe combine the Toaster skill with either of them.

Playing the PC version, and man does it not like if I alt-Tab out of the game during loading screens. There's a ton of non-optimized aspects to the PC version where certain sections of scripted dialogue are desynced, long time to register keystrokes, dialogue will cancel itself out or skip without my help, etc.. Worst is I kept locking out my cursor and being stuck with a certain action until I switched to the main menu and back if I changed my mind with an action and hit abilities in a certain order. Have noticed some buggy Action Point issues where abilities are consuming way more than they should be (w/o debuffs or effects present), abilities just not casting and having to re-order the actions despite the animations going off. I've had my party get stuck countless times in corridors and not be able to interact with objects because the auto-follow AI can cause issues, making me have to move the entire party away and back to fix it. I've had melee weapons specifically not displaying correct values and constantly changing every time I mouseover the weapon or compare it with another. That's even assuming the compare function even compares the correct items, as it tends to get stuck on one item and forces you to swap gear around to reset the tooltips. Ran into some issues with field scrapping with a vendor window open, too. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

To be fair, I have very good luck at breaking games and finding bugs. Beyond the bugs and optimization issues, the games pretty decent once you get past the first part of the game. Man, that can drag on for way too long w/o any real combat situations after the opening scenario. Also, there's aspects of a bunch of the systems that I feel could be better. For example, really don't like the 'stealth' system in this game as it could've been implemented a bit better. Also (for the PC version at least), getting a bead on enemy debuffs is pretty bad. Terrain is very odd in certain scenarios, where I can't shoot through a window in a wall yet I can somehow get LoS 95% hit chance through solid walls, and elevation just makes it get every weirder. Point allotment system when leveling could also be a lot better and more streamlined.

Alright, leaving it at this so I don't right an entire essay.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Vics area has/had two vendors. I think both required skill checks, though.
    I've only seen one, the dude you rescue and he doesn't sell turrets. Maybe I haven't found the other yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Playing the PC version, and man does it not like if I alt-Tab out of the game during loading screens. There's a ton of non-optimized aspects to the PC version
    It sounds like you just have a bad PC tbh. Haven't had a similar experience. Most of my bugs were me leaving the game running for 24 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only seen one, the dude you rescue and he doesn't sell turrets. Maybe I haven't found the other yet.
    If the first vendor didnt have them then I don't believe the second did. I want to say the second vendor was a medical one. It was second area with the lady in the wheelchair. You had to not kill her (or just wait until after you use the vendor).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It sounds like you just have a bad PC tbh. Haven't had a similar experience. Most of my bugs were me leaving the game running for 24 hours.
    Nah, comp's fine, well above the specs for the game. Recent update that came out made it worse, memory leaks galore! Gave up on one encounter today after reloading the game three times as every NPC action progressively got slower until frame rate tanked to 5-6 FPS and the enemy team stopped making any actions, making it impossible to complete. Kept trying to beat the encounter before it took too long after reloading at the start, couldn't quite beat it fast enough. Will probably have to skip the encounter as it's optional, and none of the other encounters in the area has this issue thus far despite them being way more complicated with way more NPC's.

Update brought more bugs beyond just performance issues, as well. Not exactly sure what the update was supposed to fix.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    If the first vendor didnt have them then I don't believe the second did. I want to say the second vendor was a medical one. It was second area with the lady in the wheelchair. You had to not kill her (or just wait until after you use the vendor).
    Ah yeah, definitely haven't run into her yet. This part is hard on Ranger without turrets since I rely heavily on them. Maybe if I drive around the world enough I'll run into a random vendor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Nah, comp's fine, well above the specs for the game. Recent update that came out made it worse, memory leaks galore! Gave up on one encounter today after reloading the game three times as every NPC action progressively got slower until frame rate tanked to 5-6 FPS and the enemy team stopped making any actions, making it impossible to complete. Kept trying to beat the encounter before it took too long after reloading at the start, couldn't quite beat it fast enough. Will probably have to skip the encounter as it's optional, and none of the other encounters in the area has this issue thus far despite them being way more complicated with way more NPC's.

Update brought more bugs beyond just performance issues, as well. Not exactly sure what the update was supposed to fix.
    Dang that sounds kinda crazy, you're on Windows 10 right?

Nearing the end here, about to take on Liberty. Damn short game. I did every single quest I could find and it was pretty easy. Playing on the second hardest difficulty.

15+ Year Old Account
    I recommend Ranger difficulty, feels perfect to me. Not too extreme, but you still get your ass handed to you. I can't even imagine Supreme Jerk. These dudes have so much HP already, I'm kinda like uhhh..

I recommend Ranger difficulty, feels perfect to me. Not too extreme, but you still get your ass handed to you. I can't even imagine Supreme Jerk. These dudes have so much HP already, I'm kinda like uhhh..
    That's the mode I am playing on with friendly Fire turned on. I still find the game too easy.

Maybe I built too powerful a team or I am just really used to these types of tactical games. Fallout 1/2 and Tactics and the original Wasteland are my favorite RPGs ever. I'm pretty into tactical games like Xcom, Phoneix Point, Space Hulk, MYZ, Mercenaries, etc. So I basically know how to flank/ambush in almost any scenario.

I wish the AI made smarter decisions. The difficulty seems to just be more HP and more crits for the AI. But they that not really challenging when they are so stupid or fall for the same tricks over and over.

For example, I could reliably destroy hordes of Scar Collectors by baiting them clump together with a Sawdog from my Mechanic 9/10. Even like Cyclops snipers will waste their AP to fire down on a Sawdog or Discobot. Then it's a matter of hitting them with the crossfire from my explosives/big guns main dude and his pyromaniac partner. They take an action and the other four dudes in my squad unload with shotguns, submachine guns, and the fucking howitzer on my tank.

At least in X-com War of the Chosen the AI would adapt a little bit to your tactics. The enemy is just stupid in Wasteland 3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it does feel too easy now that I've got the hang of it. I don't even need turrets anymore, just wiping everything out. Before I posted my last post I was already taking down the giant Scorp bots.
    I also love Tactics and XCOM.

I haven't felt the need to even flank, I just let everything funnel to me with chokes, you almost always have a perfect chokepoint in this game. Then just shoot rockets or the explosive barrel. I also could've been hacking bots this entire time, but a lot of the time I forget I even have special abilities.

Agreed about the AI. It's kinda easy to manipulate. If you throw down a first aid station, everything in LoS of you starts attacking it lol, I was like oh wow. I can just sit there with my mechanic next to it healing it, while it heals him, while the Party Bot shoots healing darts.

I think the AI needs more access to CC, I feel like all they do is try to damage you with the most basic combat packages.. Melee: bumrush you. Sniper: shoot at you from as far as possible with 1 gun. Flamethrower man: medium range bumrush. Rocket man: sniper, but has rockets. Evil Mechanic: throw down bots and turrets nonstop. Leader: spams random buff and debuffs.
    They also leave cover to throw dogshit grenades? I dunno, something threw a plasma grenade at me and that was actually concerning, maybe I'll see more of that.

Mechanics and Explosives are the two most OP skills in the game. Throw a few extra points into Weird Science and Automatic Weapons and you out-range and OHKO most enemies.

- - - Updated - - -

Literally just beat the game 2 minutes ago.

Pretty decent game. I enjoyed it; was a lot of fun. Wish it was a bit longer and the loading times a lot shorter.

I arrested Valor and Victory, the "Scottish" mechanic and gangster. Killed Liberty. Wiped out every single gang to a man; Gippers, Scars, Godfishers & clowns. Allied with the Monster Army. Loved by the Refugees. Killed every Marshall and Hundred Families supporter. Allied with the Robo-Commies. Set Morningstar free. Killed Kwon. Killed Lucia and her father. Allied with Angela; brother the Rangers to Colorado and cleared Angel's name. Every slaver I killed ON SIGHT. Defeated Saul, held a trial, and imprisoned him for life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haha, Lucia left me after the Scavver attack. I have no idea why, she just got mad randomly and bounced.