Thread: CPU upgrade?

5+ Year Old Account

CPU upgrade?

Will the Ryzen 3900x work on my Asus Crosshero VI? I have the 1800x and all the benchmarks i've seen have it outperforming the 1800x easily. I use it mostly for video editing and rendering.

Thanks.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, although you will need to update the BIOS on the board for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Will the Ryzen 3900x work on my Asus Crosshero VI? I have the 1800x and all the benchmarks i've seen have it outperforming the 1800x easily. I use it mostly for video editing and rendering.

Thanks.
    Yes, after a BIOS update. VRM would handle it ok, it's about the same power consumption as the 1800X. Dont expect the same memory clocks as on X570 though.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks.
    It would yes. It's running an x370 chipset, which supports Ryzen 3000. You'd just need to update the bios (potentially to a beta BIOS).

On that note, I really wish Asus would include the chipset in the name of their Crosshair hero lineup, because I could swear the VI was the x470, but apparently not.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Yes, after a BIOS update. VRM would handle it ok, it's about the same power consumption as the 1800X. Dont expect the same memory clocks as on X570 though.
    What do you mean by that?
    ― Ronald Regan

10+ Year Old Account
    Just gonna assume you mean the memory clock thing:
    X370 boards aren't fantastic at memory clocks, because the chips they were designed for had shit memory controllers, so it really didn't matter. They were also made on lower-end PCBs in general so the memory traces are less shielded, so more interference, so lower clocks

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Just gonna assume you mean the memory clock thing:
    X370 boards aren't fantastic at memory clocks, because the chips they were designed for had shit memory controllers, so it really didn't matter. They were also made on lower-end PCBs in general so the memory traces are less shielded, so more interference, so lower clocks
    So are you talking about OC the RAM sticks?
    ― Ronald Regan

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Or just running them at their rated speed.
    Would upgrading to the 3900x be noticeable then? Are you guys saying that my RAM sticks aren't running at their posted speeds?
    ― Ronald Regan

10+ Year Old Account
    Would upgrading to the 3900x be noticeable then? Are you guys saying that my RAM sticks aren't running at their posted speeds?
    Would it be noticeable: Yes. Will your RAM sticks perform much better? Nah.

You're still getting 4 cores and 8 threads with better IPC and clocks.

Can't you just marry both your proc + MB and get a cheap b450 board? or wait until the b550 come out? My opinion...

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series had huge problems supporting high memory clocks, so most manufacturers made some sacrifices to improve that. Ryzen 3000 series mostly fixed it with a new memory controller design, so as a result newer boards dont have to compromise anymore.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B