Page 1 of 3
LastLast

5 days per week in gym, yet she's still fat - how?

So as per her, she goes to the exercise center 5 days out of each week. What's more, she's not a fit young lady. She's not incredibly fat however she's not slightly chubbier than a normal individual. She's something in the middle.

She additionally consistently eats low-calorie salad and loads her calories in each dinner.

Also, we're not discussing a multi-year elderly person who is a path over the hill. We're discussing a multi-year-old young lady.

So what the heck?

I bet if she cut her calories down to less than 1500 a day she would lose weight. You cannot exercise away a bad diet. Well, I suppose you could, if you are willing to spend 10 hours at the gym every single day. Look up the twinkie diet for proof that it is mainly calories in/calories out that helps you lose weight.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    hardly uncommon, she probably just has an endomorphic body type and only does light cardio when she goes to the gym.

the weight loss that comes with eating low calories has diminishing returns extremely relative to your body composition.
    Last edited by Beastiel; 2020-05-18 at 05:05 PM.

Each pound of fat is ~3500 calories to burn. In addition, most people grossly over-estimate how hard they work out and how many calories they burn. For instance, a 30 minute jog that amounts to about 3.5 miles only burns about 400 calories for me (at 165lbs). It feels like I worked out enough to die of exhaustion and eat a cow. Conversely, a dinner at any given burger joint is going to run me ~1600 calories for the typical burger+fries. Cramming all her calories into one meal doesn't mean she's getting incredibly less calories than she otherwise would. I could easily eat a 3500 calorie meal in a single sitting, which is more than my entire daily allotment to simply stay EVEN, let alone cut weight.

Plain and simple if she's not losing weight, she's not burning more than she's taking in.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2020-05-18 at 05:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    She additionally consistently eats low-calorie salad and loads her calories in each dinner.
    Track all meals consumed precisely. You won't lose weight without a caloric deficit.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    what does she do at the gym? probably wastes a lot of her time I imagine. most women do. They tend to go there trying to look cute with no plan of action and think they can move around 10lb dumbbells every couple minutes because lifting heavy will make them bulky like a man. Diet is 70% of the problem if she cant lose weight she probably isnt eating enough. You read that last sentence right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    hardly uncommon, she probably just has an endomorphic body type and only does light cardio when she goes to the gym.

the weight loss that comes with eating low calories has diminishing returns extremely relative to your body composition.
    Please stop spreading misinformation and look at the history of those terms of classifying body types for yourself. This sounds like something V Shred would say....

Need detailed gym regimen.
    Counting calories is all well and good, but if she's not really working it, sweat dripping, burning it, then she's wasting time.

Tell her to go jogging and not to stop until her lungs are burning. Rest a few mins and repeat until her body feels like a lead weight.

Quote Originally Posted by thestyledare View Post
    So as per her, she goes to the exercise center 5 days out of each week. What's more, she's not a fit young lady. She's not incredibly fat however she's not slightly chubbier than a normal individual. She's something in the middle.

Also, we're not discussing a multi-year elderly person who is a path over the hill. We're discussing a multi-year-old young lady.

So what the heck?
    By the logic of she goes to the gym 5 days a week, every person that works at the gym should be shredded Arnolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post

This is one of the worst comments I've ever read. There is no magic that causes a body to remain fat despite a caloric deficit. Sure there are people who have a harder time losing weight than others, but no one in the world has a magic metabolism that causes you to remain fat.

There are no 'extreme diminishing returns' that come with calorie reduction.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    If she doesn't have any metabolism issues or disorders that hinder her progress, it is most likely that she's either not doing her stuff in gym properly, or doesn't diet well, or both.

well maybe she eats 4k calories a day and at the gym she just runs for 5 minutes a day

So what the heck?

Losing weight is simple. exercise and food control.

I would check that there is no hidden snacking...

She sounds fine. The only problem to solve is why you think her body is your business.

Weight is 90% diet. Going to the gym doesn't do much for weight esp. if you're not doing cardio. Which you can easily do without going to the gym at all. But if your diet is proper you can lose weight without even exercising.

She's consuming more calories than she's burning (and likely not counting those calories -- a candybar here or a bag of chips there, or even some healthy snack foods -- they all count and they are often not counted).

If that's not the case, then the exercise may very well be working and it's just not visible yet. It takes time for gains to be seen, especially when that fat weight is being replaced by muscle weight. Also, if she's only lifting weights or only doing cardio, then she's not burning as many calories as she could. Weight lifting before or after cardio makes the cardio more effective.

In all honesty, though, she's probably not accurately recording her calories.

Oh, and cheat meals are bullshit. If she's taking cheat meals, which is common among people trying to lose weight, then the only thing she's cheating is herself. Do not take cheat meals.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2020-05-18 at 06:28 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Highly likely answer= Not doing as much exercise as you think you are and eating much more than you think you do.
    Possible yet unlikely answer=Some underlying unknown disorder like thyroid issue's.

Good luck OP.

At work on my shift people had to walk up and down these huge stepladders dozens of times every day. And in the summer...temperature in there was excessive, and we all slimmed and trimmed down.

Exercising for weight loss is a waste of time and willpower, just focus on not eating and everything will workout well.

That's the main problem. Weight loss is 90% diet.