FF 14 and WoW tank competition.

So I am curious. If you were to take the tanks from both games. Which would the top 3 tanks be?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    So I am curious. If you were to take the tanks from both games. Which would the top 3 tanks be?
    you gave no opinion.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Every FF tank is essentially the same, so I'd make all three of my choices with wow. Vengeance DH, Prot warrior, and Monk.

Edit: To clarify, the combat is just too slow for tanking to really be fun in FF14. And dungeon talk ming at high end in FF is just rin through spamming your AoE as often as possible.
    Last edited by Basileus; 2019-11-29 at 12:52 AM.

The problem is that both WoW and FFXIV keep reworking their classes every expansion (though FFXIV's reworks aren't as bad as WoW's).

WoW tanks
    • MoP era Guardian Druids and Brewmaster Monks were awesome. You could take on absolutely ridiculous amounts of damage, solo tank almost everything, and single tank current raids. It was insane.
    • WoD era Protection Warriors didn't change much but they got a new talent called "Gladiator Stance" that - with the click of a button - allowed you to instantly become a DPS, and then change back with another click of a button. You could pretty much main Prot Warrior for everything now, doing world content just as efficiently as other DPS, and doing DPS in instances just as efficiently as other DPS during the tank swap.
    • Legion era Blood DK was pretty fun, especially in RBGs. I felt like I could wade into the mosh pit, surviving all of those AoEs while slowly killing everything around me with diseases.

FFXIV
    • Dark Knight is the only tank class I like in this game. I have a simple rotations, a lot of utility, can survive a lot of crap, and can spam buttons off the GCD. I'm thinking I might try leveling my Warrior again, but DRK is my favorite. Paladin is unbearably boring and I'd never recommend leveling it over DRK or Warrior.

I mainly tank on DRK, like Val I enjoy its amount of off-GCDs and the relative simplicity, my favourite part is keeping on the lookout for opportunities to use the Blackest Night that'll make it pop and give me dark arts. Summoning Fray is just cool... Delirium isn't as satisfying as spamming Fell cleave but still always a highlight.

I haven't tanked enough in WoW, and especially not recently, to compare... I just know I prefer almost all of FF14's jobs to most of WoW's specs due to the fact that I actually have more buttons to press and more synergy between the abilities... Ironically DRK is, or was, the most similar to a WoW class of everything I've tried in either games.

Since there's only 4 tanks in FF14 and since they're pretty closely balanced it's difficult to decide on one of them being the odd one out, I've tried Gunbreaker at 80, Warrior at 70 and PLD only at 60 so I can't compare that well, but so far it's definitely DRK, GNB and WAR whose DPS rotations I find the most satisfying.

Performance wise I think DRK is technically the worst one off but it's so negligible I'm not sure it matters... Also TBN is ridiculously strong for dmg reduction, using it on mob pulls has definitely been a help and it's something I miss when playing on the other tanks. It does have the worst "invuln" out of all of the tanks though.
    Last edited by Oggudrai; 2019-11-29 at 01:18 AM.

Took a pure utility stands point nothing in wow can compete with the invulnerable cds in ffxiv

MOP tanks though were hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Paladin is unbearably boring and I'd never recommend leveling it over DRK or Warrior.[/list]
    What level is your Paladin, out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Oggudrai View Post
    What level is your Paladin, out of interest?

From my understanding its dps toolkit starts opening up quite a bit at 68+, but I agree that it was probably the most boring to actually level, especially from 1 to 50, even between 50 and 60 you only get an additional dot combo for dps variation.

The other tanks get more goodies earlier one far as damage abilities go.

Dark Knight Brewmaster -with the original keg smash back- and bear druid. simple question.

by concept alone Gunbreakers are great. Having a huge gun cannon you use for chopping harder and casting spells.

Man the rework thing in wow can be really frustrating,i used to main paladin since vanila until i just gave up in mop and changed to shaman,has there ever been a class changed as much over time as paladin?I liked prot in wrath,but both prot and holy just changed so much every expansion,i miss the wrath holy also with the aoe heal glyph,cata was fun in 4.3 with radiance spam,now it just feels wrong both prot and holy

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Man the rework thing in wow can be really frustrating,i used to main paladin since vanila until i just gave up in mop and changed to shaman,has there ever been a class changed as much over time as paladin?
    Yes, druids and warlocks were going through bazillion reworks, especially boomkin and demo lock. They're nothing like they used to be 10 years ago.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that both WoW and FFXIV keep reworking their classes every expansion (though FFXIV's reworks aren't as bad as WoW's).

WoW tanks
    • MoP era Guardian Druids and Brewmaster Monks were awesome. You could take on absolutely ridiculous amounts of damage, solo tank almost everything, and single tank current raids. It was insane.
    • WoD era Protection Warriors didn't change much but they got a new talent called "Gladiator Stance" that - with the click of a button - allowed you to instantly become a DPS, and then change back with another click of a button. You could pretty much main Prot Warrior for everything now, doing world content just as efficiently as other DPS, and doing DPS in instances just as efficiently as other DPS during the tank swap.
    • Legion era Blood DK was pretty fun, especially in RBGs. I felt like I could wade into the mosh pit, surviving all of those AoEs while slowly killing everything around me with diseases.

FFXIV
    • Dark Knight is the only tank class I like in this game. I have a simple rotations, a lot of utility, can survive a lot of crap, and can spam buttons off the GCD. I'm thinking I might try leveling my Warrior again, but DRK is my favorite. Paladin is unbearably boring and I'd never recommend leveling it over DRK or Warrior.
    Legion was the time I fully embraced maining my female gnome blood dk, her cute outlook was a contrast to the pure insanity of playing her, pulling a gigant amount of mobs that shouldn't be survivable, and watch your HP never fall down below 100%

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW tanks
    Prot paladin was better at it though. I was solo tanking heroic fights on my offspec because it was more efficient than having either of the main tanks do it.

Been thinking about trying the FF14 casually, but as a tank (like in WoW), not so sure now when looking at other posts.
    Vengeance for tanks, when it was in the game, was the best thing ever (Cata and MoP, IIRC). I loved dishing out damage as tank. Sometimes it could get ridiculous though, if I remember correctly, and it was nerfed and nerfed until it was finally gone.

I've tanked with all classes that can sans druid in WoW (somehow?), but in FFXIV I've only tanked as a paladin, so I don't know how well-rounded the roster is in terms of playstyles. I did notice tanking in FFXIV is much more similiar to Classic WoW tanking, so it's a bit more of a challenge. Still fun, just different. Overall for me personally, paladins from both games and either Gunbreaker, Dark Knight, or Demon Hunter; even though I haven't played either of the first two, I've watched Dark Knight and it looks fun, while the concept of Gunbreaker is enough for me to like it until I try it myself. And Demon Hunters are an unconventional tank who hold aggro via sheer anger.

But then again I enjoy unconventional tanking in general; I tanked a lot as a Chronomancer Mesmer and Ranger in GW2. So usually the weird classes win me over.

I like the Warrior in FF14

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Been thinking about trying the FF14 casually, but as a tank (like in WoW), not so sure now when looking at other posts.
    Vengeance for tanks, when it was in the game, was the best thing ever (Cata and MoP, IIRC). I loved dishing out damage as tank. Sometimes it could get ridiculous though, if I remember correctly, and it was nerfed and nerfed until it was finally gone.
    All of the tanks in 14 have similar pulling mechanics and defensive cooldowns, the main difference lies in their DPS rotations which there is a lot more focus on now that it's so easy to keep aggro. All the jobs in 14 start out feeling slow (because while the GCD is long, later in the game you're expected to weave off-GCD's between your main rotation almost constantly so the pace quickens considerably) and you don't get a full 1-2-3 combo until 27-26 on the two tanks you can start out with.

The most fun to start up with is Warrior, in part because it has a very satisfying aesthetic and theme as a two-handed berserker-type combatant. They also get the earliest access to most of their offensive kit. So if you want to start in 14 as a tank that's definitely the most enjoyable to level... second most enjoyable Gunbreaker which starts at 60, and third is Dark Knight which starts at 30... Paladin is the one that takes the longest to get interesting offensively but it's very well-rounded early on in terms of utility and defensiveness.

By cap all of the tanks make fairly comparable damage, but Gunbreaker and Warrior have the most aggressive feeling kit, as they both emphasize a very flashy/explosive burst window; GNB with their gnashing fang combo and Warrior with their inner release ability.
    Last edited by Oggudrai; 2019-11-29 at 07:38 PM.

FF14 Warrior wins by default when you can look like this.