Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Man's Semen Only Shows DNA of His Donor after Bone Marrow Transplant

This is pretty interesting and brings up alot of questions.

Imagine parts of your DNA not belonging to you. When Chris Long from Reno, Nevada, took DNA and semen samples much of his DNA came back stating he was, in fact, a German man Long had never met, putting into question Long's own identity.

The reason behind this strange exchange is that the German man is, in fact, a donor who had donated bone marrow to Long four years ago.

The impact this is having on Long's DNA is fascinating to forensic scientists.

The New York Times recently published Long's story, explaining he needed to undergo a bone marrow transplant after he discovered he had acute myeloid leukemia — cancer that stops the body from producing blood normally.

After the transplant, Long's unhealthy cells were replaced by the healthy donor's blood-forming cells, which explains why some of Long's DNA is his donor's.

One of Long's colleagues at the Washoe County Sherriff's Department thought that his DNA may be different in other parts of his body, encouraging him to check. After Long's consent, the team took DNA samples from various parts of his body before and after his transplant.

It turns out Long's DNA is different around his body.

His chest and head hair for instance only show his DNA, whereas swabs from his cheeks, lip, and tongue show mixed DNA from both men.

Interestingly enough, when samples of Long's semen were taken the DNA from it only came up as belonging to his German donor.

Long told the New York Times "I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear."

This information is baffling scientists and experts alike.

What does this mean for forensics?
    Long's case raises a few questions, namely, what does this mean for the future of forensics?

DNA samples are sometimes used in court cases as evidence. If innocent people's DNA is showing up at crime scenes due to bone marrow transplants, forensic scientists have an interesting case on their hands.

Now, as in Long's case, if someone like him committed a sex crime, with investigators collecting semen samples — could the bone marrow donor be charged with the crime if their DNA shows up positively?
    https://interestingengineering.com/m...gzZlScfzt6x6-Y
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

It certainly is interesting. In particular the complete change in DNA for his semen. It is kind of like a artificially created form of chimerism. It does create complications in forensics which already has been having a lot of problems with regard to duplicating long established standards in forensic science. The entire forensic science industry needs an overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    It certainly is interesting. In particular the complete change in DNA for his semen. It is kind of like a artificially created form of chimerism. It does create complications in forensics which already has been having a lot of problems with regard to duplicating long established standards in forensic science. The entire forensic science industry needs an overhaul.
    it's curious how often this happens in bone marrow transplants.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

No idea, but I suspect that is why the forensic scientists find it so fascinating because it really does create a lot of questions that will need answered.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was asking the doctors and nurses when I was given blood transfusion that will my DNA, especially in the blood, remain the same after the transfusion and they didn't know the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I was asking the doctors and nurses when I was given blood transfusion that will my DNA, especially in the blood, remain the same after the transfusion and they didn't know the answer.
    The blood that’s yours remains the same, the transfused blood keeps the donor’s dna but then it dies as all blood does, to be replaced by your own blood produced from your marrow.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    The blood that’s yours remains the same, the transfused blood keeps the donor’s dna but then it dies as all blood does, to be replaced by your own blood produced from your marrow.
    that's why the donor DNA will spread in case of a marrow transplant. and since your blood is regulated by the marrow, any marrow recipient will produce blood like the one by the donor. it was the reason you get the marrow from another human, your former blood was totally useless.

So who's the biological father if he has a kid, him or donor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Goes to show how little we know about the human body. Better question is what would happen if he got a woman's bone morrow transplant? Would his sperm have her DNA? Would she be the father of a child that he conceives?

Quite surprised that it changed the DNA in his semen. I could see some of the DNA changing in places where blood is involved in generating new cells or cell parts, but I had figured that the cells that produce the DNA for semen would be among those that would only slowly replace if at all (similar to women's ova). Really fascinating.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Quite surprised that it changed the DNA in his semen. I could see some of the DNA changing in places where blood is involved in generating new cells or cell parts, but I had figured that the cells that produce the DNA for semen would be among those that would only slowly replace if at all (similar to women's ova). Really fascinating.
    I'm intrigued why the DNA of his semen was being tested in the first place?

There's more to this story and it probably makes this more juicy!
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

I'm intrigued why the DNA of his semen was being tested in the first place?

There's more to this story and it probably makes this more juicy!
    From the way the article is written it appears that one of his collegues encouraged him to check BEFORE and after, which means he'd have to had some samples being taken before as well? He also appears to be working in a sherrifs department? I'm not sure the story is juicy, I think it's more likely that it's incomplete. The profession of him wasn't mentioned, maybe he is part of the foresics team and had professional interest in the matter?

Edit: Here is the NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/u...crime-lab.html

That one gives a better picture in regards to how it happened. He had is blood tested first, the rest was just to find what else could have changed.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-12-11 at 08:45 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    So who's the biological father if he has a kid, him or donor?
    Based on the way things currently are (US), whoever matches the child's DNA. Doesn't matter where it comes from or how it was obtained, if it's yours, you're responsible. :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Based on the way things currently are (US), whoever matches the child's DNA. Doesn't matter where it comes from or how it was obtained, if it's yours, you're responsible. :/
    With this bone marrow trickery a woman could possibly inseminate herself.

7+ Year Old Account
    With this bone marrow trickery a woman could possibly inseminate herself.
    If she has both sets of reproductive organs.

15+ Year Old Account
    If she has both sets of reproductive organs.
    Nah, transplant your dna to a man who shoots his manjuice inside you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nah, transplant your dna to a man who shoots his manjuice inside you.
    So you meant she could have a child that was both parts her. "Insemination" requires sperm. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    So you meant she could have a child that was both parts her. "Insemination" requires sperm. :P
    That's what the manjuice is for.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's what the manjuice is for.
    I'm merely pointing out that she wouldn't be inseminating herself, he would be inseminating her with her own DNA.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm merely pointing out that she wouldn't be inseminating herself, he would be inseminating her with her own DNA.
    Let's assume no penetration is happening and she injects herself with the juice!