Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Indian student creates plastic bricks!

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/25/a...c2e/index.html

Kinda like lego bricks, created with waste plastic after being cleaned and treated.

Gets rid of the tons of plastic waste for 8 cents a brick and could be used for making homes. Awesome idea.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post

Kinda like lego bricks, created with waste plastic after being cleaned and treated.

Gets rid of the tons of plastic waste for 8 cents a brick and could be used for making homes. Awesome idea.
    That's pretty amazing.

What kind of ramping up procedures are needed to get it to popping out bricks at $0.08/per? And what kind of reclamation percentages are we looking at (i.e. how much of the recycled plastic is used compared to waste after processing)? What are the cleaning costs for the plastic initially?

If the actual process is small, you could slap a factory on top of a barge (or larger) and send it out to those areas in the ocean that are congregating plastics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they are actually suitable building material, sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    I hope they are actually suitable building material, sounds amazing.
    Better than what the article says they are currently using, which comes with health risks as well as a pricier cost/heavier to lift. Suitability/cost effiecient plus cleans up the world and provides homes for people.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    If the actual process is small, you could slap a factory on top of a barge (or larger) and send it out to those areas in the ocean that are congregating plastics.
    If they could do that cleanly, they could have a full scale business running for years.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely useless for most of the northern hemisphere where -40 C is a possibility or a reality. Plastic has no structural integrity unless it's a solid piece. Not to mention adhering it to be weather proof is way more costly than mortar for brick laying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Absolutely useless for most of the northern hemisphere where -40 C is a possibility or a reality. Plastic has no structural integrity unless it's a solid piece. Not to mention adhering it to be weather proof is way more costly than mortar for brick laying.
    Id assume its ment to be used in India to make small houses for the poor, its not ment to used above the arctic circle with -50C during winter.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Harshed my buzz...as an acquaintance of mine would say.
    Still, your reality check is just that..*sigh*

Might be some other applications however. Not sure I'd dismiss the idea just yet.

https://www.unicef.org/wca/press-rel...-factory-côte

Just read about this. A UNICEF factory that has made plastic brick schools in West Africa. Countries with plastic waste problems need to jump on this bandwagon. There is soooo much plastic in the ocean as well that could make buildings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post

I saw a guy propose this idea over a decade ago. He wanted a cheap way to build homes in poor countries.

Absolutely useless for most of the northern hemisphere where -40 C is a possibility or a reality.
    You talking by land area or population? Seems to stretch the term "most" for the latter, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a good thing 4/5th's of the world's population doesn't live in a climate that can get to -40 C. Where are you getting your data for adhering? Just curious.

Isn't plastic prone to melting and releasing toxic fumes? I'm all for plastic being recycled, though I don't think I'd want to live in a house not made of bricks...

I've said middle eastern people were super smart but they're held back by how socially regressive they're. conservatism at it's extreme is cancer but so are most ideologies. If they just became more liberal and told religion to fuck off. They be in a way better place. Not trying to be racist. I just hate what religion does man. The middle east is a fucking great example.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-12-05 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Forbidden Topics
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I saw a guy propose this idea over a decade ago. He wanted a cheap way to build homes in poor countries.
    Yea, this and impregnated cardboard have been floated around like 10 years ago.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yea, this and impregnated cardboard have been floated around like 10 years ago.
    Old tires make a really strong set of walls too. My buddy built something called an earth ship with them. Could probably ram a semi truck into it and only damage the plaster stuff.

First of all it's a safety hazard. Second of all, it's not doing anything to prevent the current amount of plastic being used. If anything it creates an excuse to create more plastic because "hey! we can use it now for other stuff and not throw it away! ". But when the storm hits or tides come that whole house of plastic still goes into in the ocean or some other body of water. So, in my eyes, while the sentiment is a positive one, the outcome is pretty bad and harmful for the future.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta wonder how toxic is the smoke when these bricks are on fire

Plastic is light. Structures made of plastic are flimsy and prone to collapsing if someone kicks a wall.
    Also plastic burns, so it's a fire hazard as well.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2019-12-06 at 09:57 PM.

Cool use of recycled materials, but damn those structures look so disheveled I would never live there.