Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Leveling Experience - Mounts, Flying etc.

Hi there,

i´m pretty excited for the new leveling experience. To choose from every existing expansion set to level from 10-50 will be glorious I think.
    There is just one question which really worries me:

Mounts and the pathfinder, flying.

Will we be able to use mounts after the starting zone? which speed? when will we start to use flying mounts?

For example: I really loved the level experience from WoD (nvm the rest tho ). So if I start a new character and finish the starting experience I can right jump into WoD right? With lvl 10. So will I be able to use a flying mount there or not?

I don´t know if this was mentioned somewhere already.

Thanks in advance and /discuss

10+ Year Old Account
    That's actually a... very good question.

I mean, it's mandatory to have flying if you're going the Cata route, for instance. But I think it's pretty much the only path that would require flying, since every other xpac can be done without it... so really, it's hard to say.

Maybe mounting at 10 and flying at 30?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

They aren't just going to tell us to 'go to that expansion' and let us level up. It couldnt possibly work that way and in its current form would just leave us finishing within a zone or two.

It will be a tailored experience that forces us into specific areas and story lines in order to get to the end point.

So either it will force the progression into non flying relevant areas.
    Or, unlock it at a specific level, say level 30. Where it would then have you going into flying relevant areas.

Or, pathfinder would change, so simply leveling a character in that expansion. Finish it once, all future characters can level up with flying there.

Or something else.

Either way, they cant possibly leave Pathfinder as is without making all Pathfinder expansions dead content for leveling for newer players.
    They cant leave the experience as is without some guidance of where to go.

Will be interesting which approach they take.

A lot of this is speculative at this point, but this is how I see it working out:

Trainers would probably give 60% Apprentice Land Riding for use everywhere at lv10.
    Trainers would probably give 150% Expert Flying for use in Outland, Pandaria, Draenor, Kul'Tiras and Zandalar at lv10.
    Trainers would probably give 100% Journeyman Land Riding for use everywhere at lv10.
    Trainers would probably give Flight Master License for use in Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, etc at lv30.
    Trainers would probably give Cold Weather Flying for use in Northrend at lv38. (They'd just be arriving in Storm Peaks/Icecrown.)
    Trainers would probably give 280% Artisan Flying for use across the board at lv50.
    Trainers would probably give 310% Master Flying for use across the board at lv50.

Licenses they may be willing to remove or turn into Feats of Strength, but Pathfinder is probably here to stay for a while.

TL;DR: So, since you're focused on WoD, you'll need to work on Draenor Pathfinder now if you want to level a new character with flying on Draenor in Shadowlands, I'd guess.
    Last edited by Razion; 2019-12-20 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    A lot of this is speculative at this point, but this is how I see it working out:

Trainers would probably give 60% Apprentice Land Riding for use everywhere at lv10.
    Trainers would probably give 150% Expert Flying for use in Outland, Pandaria, Draenor, Kul'Tiras and Zandalar at lv10.
    Trainers would probably give 100% Journeyman Land Riding for use everywhere at lv10.
    Trainers would probably give Flight Master License for use in Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, etc at lv30.
    Trainers would probably give Cold Weather Flying for use in Northrend at lv38. (They'd just be arriving in Storm Peaks/Icecrown.)
    Trainers would probably give 280% Artisan Flying for use across the board at lv50.
    Trainers would probably give 310% Master Flying for use across the board at lv50.

Licenses they may be willing to remove or turn into Feats of Strength, but Pathfinder is probably here to stay for a while.

TL;DR: So, since you're focused on WoD, you'll need to work on Draenor Pathfinder now if you want to level a new character with flying on Draenor in Shadowlands, I'd guess.
    Draenor doesn’t require flight. The only xpac that did was Cata and that can be solved with things like NPCs offering jet packs, NPC flights, or other random ways to quest areas.

I have all the Pathfinders
    As some said the only xpac wich requires flying is Cata so I would be fine with being on the ground, but ofc it would be much easier and faster with flying so im curious how blizzard will handle this

Quote Originally Posted by Zandalarian Paladin View Post

I mean, it's mandatory to have flying if you're going the Cata route, for instance. But I think it's pretty much the only path that would require flying, since every other xpac can be done without it... so really, it's hard to say.

Only problem with this is the fact that my alts can fly in bfa soon as they reach that content. With the new leveling system you can go through bfa starting at lvl 10. So to keep with the current design of flying it should be enabled soon as you reach the content you have it unlocked for.

What will blizzard do though? Probably lvl 30 like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    They aren't just going to tell us to 'go to that expansion' and let us level up. It couldnt possibly work that way and in its current form would just leave us finishing within a zone or two.

It will be a tailored experience that forces us into specific areas and story lines in order to get to the end point.
    They have pretty much already explained this. You can talk to Chromie to get into "Chromie-Time", which locks you to one expansion, but you are not forced to do any specific fixed areas, the expansions you choose to do, you will do just like you normally would.

If you pick Legion or BfA, for example, you get to decide which zones to do. If you pick any of the others, you get to do them in the appropriate leveling order.

XP will be adjusted to let you finish the 10-50 journey within that one expansion, and not overshoot or undershoot by any large margin.

They have not directly commited to when you get flying, but I would assume that you can get flying in a similar manner as you do today, depending on if you have Pathfinder etc.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

what you've written makes sense, except I think flying will be available from lvl 10 in Northrend - they long since removed the cold weather flying from the vendor

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Draenor doesn’t require flight. The only xpac that did was Cata and that can be solved with things like NPCs offering jet packs, NPC flights, or other random ways to quest areas.
    On Draenor, for those with Pathfinder, if that needs clarification.

BC needs flight for many, many quests that take advantage of flying (Blade's Edge, Terokkar Forest, etc.). Northrend uses flight for Storm Peaks and Icecrown as the terrain is impassable on land and plus you need to get on top of various structures for turn-ins. Cataclysm straight up needs flying in a lot of higher-level zones to reach things like blimps, airships, etc. Pandaria would need flying to keep true to the experience people had available at the time.

Sure, alternatives are possible like teleport and flight masters, but on many levels the amount of intrusion to the player's immediate immersive experience needs to be considered, and also the sheer amount of additional work all of these various ways would need to be accounted for and implemented sound like a heck of a lot of work just to spite one system that is already enjoyed by a lot of people already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LupinRaedwulf View Post
    Only problem with this is the fact that my alts can fly in bfa soon as they reach that content. With the new leveling system you can go through bfa starting at lvl 10. So to keep with the current design of flying it should be enabled soon as you reach the content you have it unlocked for.

What will blizzard do though? Probably lvl 30 like you said.
    As the whole leveling experience is revamped, to me it makes more sense to have a fair amount of time without flying mounts, even with pathfinder unlocked. It just doesn't feel right to obtain flying at level 10, somehow.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Hell no, this is waaay too messy. We'll get flying completely for any zone at 10. Apart from pathfinder, post-WoD expansion specific flight spells aren't a thing anymore anyway.

On Draenor, for those with Pathfinder, if that needs clarification.

BC needs flight for many, many quests that take advantage of flying (Blade's Edge, Terokkar Forest, etc.). Northrend uses flight for Storm Peaks and Icecrown as the terrain is impassable on land and plus you need to get on top of various structures for turn-ins. Cataclysm straight up needs flying in a lot of higher-level zones to reach things like blimps, airships, etc. Pandaria would need flying to keep true to the experience people had available at the time.

Sure, alternatives are possible like teleport and flight masters, but on many levels the amount of intrusion to the player's immediate immersive experience needs to be considered, and also the sheer amount of additional work all of these various ways would need to be accounted for and implemented sound like a heck of a lot of work just to spite one system that is already enjoyed by a lot of people already.
    You, and the majority of others, are all working under the assumption that you need flight to hit level cap.
    BC requires flight for endgame content (for the most part). Terrokar has flight for the Skettis zone, an area not needed to level. BE needs flight for Ogri’la rep and Apexis grind. The only area where you would consider flight necessary would be the Area 52 zone to go to a floating island with quests, something which again could be covered with a taxi service.
    Storm Peaks has taxi services already in place. The only thing you need flight for is reaching Ulduar and HoL, as well as a little cliff side quest hub that has all of 2-4 quests if I remember. Most of Icecrown also has taxi services.
    Cata is the one xpac that flight being necessary was designed, and even then the only major zone that has it be necessary is Deepholm. Again, taxi services can more than suffice.
    Pandaria does not need flight at all. Your reasoning there is just a hat pull to try and justify that xpac.
    As stated, with the exception of Cata, most of the xpacs do not require flight until endgame minus a few quest hubs. Those quest hubs aren’t even necessary to reach the max level to move on. Cata can even be fixed by allowing a temporary item that gives a flight mount while in those zones.
    TLDR: So the biggest fallacy with most of these arguments is assuming flight is necessary to reach max level, and that Blizzard can’t add a taxi service or item to grant flight in a specific zone.

About half of Wotlk you were expected to have flying; Storm Peaks and Icecrown
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    About half of Wotlk you were expected to have flying; Storm Peaks and Icecrown
    At the end, and since the new leveling experience is supposed to go through the experience of old, it would make sense that Icecrown and Storm's Peaks would be much closer to 50 than 10.
    Google Diversity Memo

I'm guessing you can buy it at 10 if you've got the gold for it, given that you are able to go to literally any expansion zone after that (provided you're a veteran player, new players default to the latest expansion which would be BfA). You just purchase as many ranks as you're able to afford, just like you are now.

There's really no reason to put a level barrier on it anymore and with the advent of Pathfinding the newer zones require you to do a shitload of work to unlock it anyway.

We will deffinately get mounts at lvl 10. they said that new players shouldn't have to run around in bfa without mounts and all new players are forced into bfa at lvl 10.

For flying. Its lvl 60 now. so my guess would be around lvl 20-25 ish, or whatever is equivalent to 60 in the new system.

So because of the new leveling system and no minimum cap anymore, i guess you will just have to make a choice if you want to do zones you usualy flew in with pathfiunder, on ground until you get to SL's equivalent of 60

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I had the same question as well.
    No idea how they plan to do that, so it's hurry up and wait for alpha/beta.

I would guess flying would come past 10, maybe 30 as others have said as it's the half-way point, similar to how you fly at 60 today.
    Even the Cata zones can be made for ground-only; just open all FPs right away when choosing it, maybe add one or two other taxi service options to cover any missing areas until you fly, like an option to "take me to the Vortex Pinnacle" at a flight master, so instead of flying there yourself or waiting on a summon, a scripted taxi ride drops you off /shrug.
    Flying at 10, though... that just feels... odd, I guess is the best word for it.
    That would be today's equivalent of flying at level 20ish, given the levels being cut in half (well, more than half, but still applies).

As the whole leveling experience is revamped, to me it makes more sense to have a fair amount of time without flying mounts, even with pathfinder unlocked. It just doesn't feel right to obtain flying at level 10, somehow.
    I would normally agree if pathfinder wasn't a 2 patch unlock process. Considering the leveling revamp is coming in the next expansion, it would make sense to let alts fly in the old expansions from 10-50 as long as you have completed the requirements to do because you'll be running around shadowlands until pathfinder can be finished.

From what they said for new players 1-10 will introduce mounting. So mounting will probably start at 5 with flying at 10 if applicable. Meaning pathfinder should still be required for WoD/Legion/BFA (granted new players get BFA only at the start) and TBC, Wrath, Cata, MoP will probably have it purchasable. Possibly at the same price since only existing people who have a 50 will be able to choose whatever zone so it is assumed you have gold just like now.