Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    He comes of a man with OCD(? I'm not trying to diagnosis) and some other cormobilities you can trace back to when he first brought Andor's case to his superiors. Details such as him altering his uniform are small character traits and he audience are meant to pick up on.
    I want to be clear; while I went hard sayin Syril Karn's possibly my favorite character, it's absolutely because of his flaws. I'm not suggesting he's a great dude. What I find so interesting is how easily those characteristics would also make him a fantastic traitor and rebel. He's driven by a sense of justice; he won't let Cassian Andor drop because the man committed a double murder under his watch, and he knows it. He doesn't even particularly need the spotlight; he wants to be respected but he's not driven by a pursuit of fame. He's absolutely willing to break all the rules and ignore direct orders in his pursuit of that "justice"; he misuses his authorities in the Bureau of Standards to keep pursuing Andor, and refuses to drop it even when Imperial Intelligence orders him to. The moment Karn no longer thinks the Empire is the bastion of justice, he'll flip. He'll agonize over it, but he'll flip. That potential's already seeded, and he's nowhere close to that at the end of Season 1, but by the end of Season 2, which is apparently supposed to take place over 3-4 years of time?

I don't think he'll ever forgive Andor, but I think he could be convinced to work alongside Andor as long as he knows Andor isn't gonna survive (Rogue One's mission), or if Andor or his leadership have agreed that Andor will turn himself in once they achieve a goal he's needed for.

We've already seen Imperial Intelligence doing shady unjust shit. If Karn learns of that standard practice through a budding romance with Dedra, I don't think he'd stay loyal, if he's convinced it's true. Whether the two of them betray together or it's the flexion point that shatters their relationship (potentially leading to Dedra absolutely rabidly hunting him down, a nice bookend of her initial rejection of Karn), there's a good story there, IMO, a lot of nuance and "gray". We know Imperials do get convinced to rebel, we've already seen one in Andor, Karn could be the guy we follow through making that choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    "Do you have proof of this strawman of your claim that I built because rather than admit I totally misunderstood your point I am going to argue a minute detail that doesn't even alter the main argument to pretend I won?"
    It isn't a strawman to ask you to prove your claim that characters had their memory wiped in order to "protect canon" of the movies they appeared in. If Yoda didn't have his behavior altered why would others characters have to have their behavior altered? You are creating a double standard out of stubbornness. I'm not ignoring any key difference in characters. Of course a memory wipe isn't the only way to preserve canon but it is the example you keep using.

Again do you have proof that they "did so in a way to not shake up canon"? Or did they just do cool things and ignore them later. These aren't the walls you are making them out to be for character development. Andor doesn't have any real walls because of his appearance in Rogue One. He just has to be a top rebel spy, alive, and have the same appearance.

If I'm right then it does change the original argument because that is what you've been opposing here. Lol.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It isn't a strawman to ask you to prove your claim that characters had their memory wiped in order to "protect canon" of the movies they appeared in. If Yoda didn't have his behavior altered why would others characters have to have their behavior altered? You are creating a double standard out of stubbornness. I'm not ignoring any key difference in characters. Of course a memory wipe isn't the only way to preserve canon but it is the example you keep using.
    Because my argument isn't a memory wipe is required, your question implies that it is. It is a strawman, stop lying for once.

Yoda is a different character. Yoda doubts visions, so regardless of what he sees, he isn't going to change how he acts. Anakin, in Episode III, acts to protect Padme from dying, despite having no evidence his vision was true. Anakin left where he was supposed to be because of the visions of his mother's death.

Anakin canonly alters his behavior on visions he gets. If Anakin knew the future, Anakin's behavior would have been different. The fact you cannot understand that Yoda is a completely different character than Anakin and Obi-wan makes this entire argument invalid.

Again do you have proof that they "did so in a way to not shake up canon"? Or did they just do cool things and ignore them later. These aren't the walls you are making them out to be for character development. Andor doesn't have any real walls because of his appearance in Rogue One. He just has to be a top rebel spy, alive, and have the same appearance.
    Because it logically follows? Every time they did something cool, there were things to avoid turning canon on its head. And notice the one you focused on was Mortis, you completely ignored that they avoided Anakin and Grievous meeting in the Clone Wars. You focused on one example, poorly, to prove there weren't walls.

And Andor does have walls because Andor's growth is limited because we know the end of his story. He has to get into where he was at that point. You can't have Andor join the Empire (for example), because in Rogue One he implies he been fighting them since he was a child. There are more walls than simply "Can't kill or maim."

If I'm right then it does change the original argument because that is what you've been opposing here. Lol.
    Nope, because you are right on an irrelevant point because it does nothing to prove there isn't more walls than just kill or maim which was the original point.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Because my argument isn't a memory wipe is required, your question implies that it is. It is a strawman, stop lying for once.
    Except it has been. That it was required to "remove cool" to preserve canon in that specific Arc. This isn't a strawman and it isn't a lie.

The Mortis Arc had to be erased from the memories in order to keep canon
    There is nothing to say that Anakin knowing the future would stop him from being where he needed to be in "the movie canon" right? Again you are creating a double standard on what is allowed. Yoda? It is fine to have cool. Anakin? Can't have cool because you say so. What if knowledge of those events led him further to the Dark Side? What if it made it easier to be manipulated and predicted by Sidious? All things that can be part of a characters development.

Andor's growth is not limited because we know his end. Because we don't know the "middle". There is plenty of room to grow in that middle just like we saw with the Clone Wars figures that had a bunch of character development. Andor could join the empire just as long as he leaves it by Rogue One. We know from the show that he hasn't been fighting the empire since he was a child as he didn't start until recruited into the rebellion. So already you are wrong on what limits the show has.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I want to be clear; while I went hard sayin Syril Karn's possibly my favorite character, it's absolutely because of his flaws. I'm not suggesting he's a great dude. What I find so interesting is how easily those characteristics would also make him a fantastic traitor and rebel. He's driven by a sense of justice; he won't let Cassian Andor drop because the man committed a double murder under his watch, and he knows it. He doesn't even particularly need the spotlight; he wants to be respected but he's not driven by a pursuit of fame. He's absolutely willing to break all the rules and ignore direct orders in his pursuit of that "justice"; he misuses his authorities in the Bureau of Standards to keep pursuing Andor, and refuses to drop it even when Imperial Intelligence orders him to. The moment Karn no longer thinks the Empire is the bastion of justice, he'll flip. He'll agonize over it, but he'll flip. That potential's already seeded, and he's nowhere close to that at the end of Season 1, but by the end of Season 2, which is apparently supposed to take place over 3-4 years of time?

I don't think he'll ever forgive Andor, but I think he could be convinced to work alongside Andor as long as he knows Andor isn't gonna survive (Rogue One's mission), or if Andor or his leadership have agreed that Andor will turn himself in once they achieve a goal he's needed for.

We've already seen Imperial Intelligence doing shady unjust shit. If Karn learns of that standard practice through a budding romance with Dedra, I don't think he'd stay loyal, if he's convinced it's true. Whether the two of them betray together or it's the flexion point that shatters their relationship (potentially leading to Dedra absolutely rabidly hunting him down, a nice bookend of her initial rejection of Karn), there's a good story there, IMO, a lot of nuance and "gray". We know Imperials do get convinced to rebel, we've already seen one in Andor, Karn could be the guy we follow through making that choice.
    Agreed. I find myself oddly enjoying every scene with Syril.

Character wise, Andor and Bix are kinda the weakest. Bix because we see very little of her, so there isn't a lot there. Stuff just happens and she's around.

Around the 3rd episode, Andor is used kind of a vehicle for everyone else. There's not a lot more to him than his longing for family and his survival skills. We know he is decisive and quick thinking, right or wrong.

Though Andor is pretty flat by comparison to most other characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except it has been. That it was required to "remove cool" to preserve canon in that specific Arc. This isn't a strawman and it isn't a lie
    Claims not a strawman.
    While still strawmanning.

I didn't say "remove cool." I said when something cool is done, they put things around it to keep it from disturbing canon too much. You are literally strawmanning while saying you aren't. You haven't addressed my argument, you have addressed only your strawman and have been wasting time attempting to gaslight me into believing it was my point.

There is nothing to say that Anakin knowing the future would stop him from being where he needed to be in "the movie canon" right? Again you are creating a double standard on what is allowed. Yoda? It is fine to have cool. Anakin? Can't have cool because you say so. What if knowledge of those events led him further to the Dark Side? What if it made it easier to be manipulated and predicted by Sidious? All things that can be part of a characters development.
    Because my point isn't that. That's your strawmanned misunderstanding you keep saying isn't one.

It isn't a double standard, because both Anakin and Yoda have things that explain it. Yoda see the future in a force vision which is something he in movie canon doubts the validity of. Anakin in movie canon takes visions as absolute fact. My argument isn't "All Characters can't know the future, or it is bad." It again is "When cool things happen, they do something to limit its impact." I am not nor have I ever argued what you think I am.

Yoda is told the future via a force vision. Yoda consistently in movies doubts visions, especially of the future, given by the Force. He doesn't need to forget because Yoda would not alter his actions because Yoda the character doubts vision. Anakin takes ever vision he sees as absolute fact and acts according to that. You are accusing me of a "Double standard" when you don't understand the characters approach visions in nearly the complete opposite version. I don't expect Yoda to behave like Anakin, why do you think I should?

Andor's growth is not limited because we know his end. Because we don't know the "middle". There is plenty of room to grow in that middle just like we saw with the Clone Wars figures that had a bunch of character development. Andor could join the empire just as long as he leaves it by Rogue One. We know from the show that he hasn't been fighting the empire since he was a child as he didn't start until recruited into the rebellion. So already you are wrong on what limits the show has.
    Limited character development =/= no character development. Of course, there is character development possible, I never claimed otherwise. I claimed there are limits that are beyond merely not killing or maiming the character, which you have not remotely addressed besides argued against your strawmen. And no, Andor cannot "join the Empire" because that contradicts Rogue One canon as he states in the movie he been fighting against them since he was a child. Andor joining the Empire would contradict that line. Thus, contradict Andor as seen in Rogue One. He can do things like he did in Season 1, pretend to be a soldier, "join" in order to undermine them, etc ... but if he willing joins the Empire because he came to support them would be against movie canon. It cannot happen.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-12-02 at 03:25 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say "remove cool." I said when something cool is done, they put things around it to keep it from disturbing canon too much.
    What is erase if not removed? You keep saying that they have had to remove the effects of cool story in order to maintain canon appearances for characters.

It isn't a double standard, because both Anakin and Yoda have things that explain it.
    So then it is a double standard. Because when things are explained for Anakin it is a "wall" and "cool thing being changed" for canon. Yet when it is done with Yoda it isn't and part of his character development. We've already seen on Clone Wars that Yoda has altered his actions. His visions, and learning of immortality, changed how he was to deal with Sidious. Instead of fighting him now he would fight him in the future.

And no, Andor cannot "join the Empire" because that contradicts Rogue One canon as he states in the movie he been fighting against them since he was a child.
    Which the show already contradicted. He wasn't fighting the empire since he was a child. He was just some small time criminal/smuggler. We see he was rescued from his home planet by scavengers. He could have easily joined the empire in Season 1. Similar to how Han Solo joined the empire. It wouldn't be the first time a rebellion character has been ex-empire. Andor didn't even believe in fighting the empire until the end of the season.

There are barely any walls with Andor because he was an open slate. Very few absolutes. He just has to be a top rebel spy for Rogue One but the journey to get there is wide open. Season 1 has of course added some walls that they must follow for Season 2 if they are to care about continuity. It was originally going to be 5 seasons with each season covering one year. So they were going to have a lot of room to make "cool stories" and have plenty of time to explain them to fit canon. The show was changed to 2 seasons only so they have less room to offer an explanations on big twists. Maybe plans will change with the new CEO though that is likely slim since Andor hasn't got high viewership despite the acclaim.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is erase if not removed? You keep saying that they have had to remove the effects of cool story in order to maintain canon appearances for characters.
    In ONE example, information was erased. I am not saying "everything cool is erased." Seriously, again, this is proving you strawmanned me.
    In one case, they removed information from the mind to keep canon. My argument isn't "They remove things to keep canon." AGAIN, I have too keep repeating this, because you can't let go of your strawman, is that ALL COOL THINGS THAT HAPPEN HAVE THINGS THAT LIMIT THEIR IMPACT.

When Anakin was traded for Grievous, they made it so that Anakin would not see Grievous in the exchange. That isn't removing the exchange, that is making it so that Anakin's line about Grievous in Episode 3 stayed consistent in canon. Seriously, stop pretending you haven't strawmanned me because that's all you have done.

So then it is a double standard. Because when things are explained for Anakin it is a "wall" and "cool thing being changed" for canon. Yet when it is done with Yoda it isn't and part of his character development. We've already seen on Clone Wars that Yoda has altered his actions. His visions, and learning of immortality, changed how he was to deal with Sidious. Instead of fighting him now he would fight him in the future.
    Everything here is a lie, because we don't see that. We see Yoda doubting visions. Also, everything else you are saying is things that are 100% supported by the movies.

Is it a double standard that you expect characters to act like the characters? Do you even understand what a double standard is? I am applying the standard that Anakin will act like Anakin and Yoda will act like Yoda. That standard is characters will act like the character. It isn't a double standard.

The wall with Anakin is he cannot know the future because Anakin will alter his behavior to be outside canon.
    Yoda doubts visions, we see him doubting visions ... there is nothing possible outside of canon that could happen with Yoda knowing, because Yoda doubts visions given by the Force, Anakin does not. It is like saying it is a double standard to expect someone to eat food they like and not eat food they dislike. If Person A likes sushi, I expect that they will eat sushi. If person B does not like sushi, I will not expect them to eat sushi. There is no double standard there.

Which the show already contradicted. He wasn't fighting the empire since he was a child. He was just some small time criminal/smuggler. We see he was rescued from his home planet by scavengers. He could have easily joined the empire in Season 1. Similar to how Han Solo joined the empire. It wouldn't be the first time a rebellion character has been ex-empire. Andor didn't even believe in fighting the empire until the end of the season.
    Did you not watch the series? Because you can't have watched the series and make this statement. The series where we see him fighting Republic individuals as a child; the Republic that became the Empire. And we see him fighting Empire aligned individuals in the series. And the "Smugglers" who saved him were anti-Empire. It isn't contradicted at all.

There are barely any walls with Andor because he was an open slate. Very few absolutes. He just has to be a top rebel spy for Rogue One but the journey to get there is wide open. Season 1 has of course added some walls that they must follow for Season 2 if they are to care about continuity. It was originally going to be 5 seasons with each season covering one year. So they were going to have a lot of room to make "cool stories" and have plenty of time to explain them to fit canon. The show was changed to 2 seasons only so they have less room to offer an explanations on big twists. Maybe plans will change with the new CEO though that is likely slim since Andor hasn't got high viewership despite the acclaim.
    I never made a claim about the number of walls in the show, just there are more than just no killing or maiming. So, the fact you are admitting there are more is this entire post is you agreeing with me and then using that to say I am wrong proving you have no clue what my argument is and rather than ask honest questions, argued against strawmen.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-12-02 at 04:38 PM.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    In ONE example, information was erased. I am not saying "everything cool is erased." Seriously, again, this is proving you strawmanned me.
    It is not a strawman to point out how your own example is flawed. I'm not creating a new argument but using the one you put forth. All cool things have not had things that limit their impact on canon characters. Hence why Yoda didn't have things limit the impact of his "cool" arc. Lmao.

Everything here is a lie, because we don't see that. We see Yoda doubting visions.
    It is not a lie. 20:40 of S6:E13. Mace and Obi-wan talk to Yoda after his adventures. They ask him if his journey has given him any insight on how to win the war. Yoda tells them he is no longer certain a war is ever won. That fighting has meant they already lost. But a path to victory "for all time" is possible.

Did you not watch the series? Because you can't have watched the series where we see him fighting Republic individuals as a child ... the Republic that became the Empire, and we see him fighting Empire aligned individuals in the series. And the "Smugglers" who saved him were anti-Empire. It isn't contradicted at all.
    So he fought the empire, as a child, before the empire was even a thing? He wasn't fighting the empire in his youth. He wasn't even fighting the republic. He was anti-rebellion but not anti-crime. The entire path he takes in the first season is about him deciding to fight the empire rather then just whatever he needs to survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not a strawman to point out how your own example is flawed. I'm not creating a new argument but using the one you put forth. All cool things have not had things that limit their impact on canon characters. Hence why Yoda didn't have things limit the impact of his "cool" arc. Lmao.
    Except you didn't do anything here. This is a complete and total misrepresentation of reality. You didn't point out a flaw, you changed my argument, and proved that wrong. Again, your strawman isn't my argument. You showing your strawman is flawed ... well of course it is, you built it so.

It is not a lie. 20:40 of S6:E13. Mace and Obi-wan talk to Yoda after his adventures. They ask him if his journey has given him any insight on how to win the war. Yoda tells them he is no longer certain a war is ever won. That fighting has meant they already lost. But a path to victory "for all time" is possible.
    You mean the Yoda who in Episode II express distaste that the Clone Wars began and that the battle wasn't a victory? And stated how difficult to see the future is was, thus suggesting that he wouldn't know how the war was won. You don't say. You are literally proving Yoda acted like Yoda to argue Yoda did something contrary to his character. And he makes no mention of when he was certain wars could have been won, just that at that point he was "no longer certain."

Yeah, that's inline with canon. Why are you lying?

So he fought the empire, as a child, before the empire was even a thing? He wasn't fighting the empire in his youth. He wasn't even fighting the republic. He was anti-rebellion but not anti-crime. The entire path he takes in the first season is about him deciding to fight the empire rather then just whatever he needs to survive.
    The Empire that came out of the Republic. The Empire is what the Republic became. There are tons of characters who see the Republic and the Empire as one and the same because the Republic birthed the Empire. And all that changed was motivation in his fight, rather than fighting the Empire to survive, he fights the Empire for more reasons. At most, you get the line to be slightly hyperbolic, not outright contradicted.

Why do you make these stretches pretending you have a point?
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-12-02 at 05:11 PM.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    The Empire that came out of the Republic. The Empire is what the Republic became. There are tons of characters who see the Republic and the Empire as one and the same because the Republic birthed the Empire. And all that changed was motivation in his fight, rather than fighting the Empire to survive, he fights the Empire for more reasons.
    Again how can you fight an empire if it didn't yet exist when you were a child? I'm not pretending to have a point here you are. The show clearly contradicts the line as you've stated it to be.

Cassian Andor : What do you know? We don't all have the luxury of deciding when and where we want to care about something. Suddenly the Rebellion is real for you. Some of us live it. I've been in this fight since I was *six* years old. You're not the only one who lost everything. Some of us just decided to do something about it.

That is the line from the movie. He doesn't state he has been fighting the empire, like you claimed, since he was a child. The show contradicts his line. He was rescued at 9 so he wasn't fighting any rebellions since the age of 6. He would have had five years to be that child soldier and first fighting a "rebellion" if the comics are kept as canon. In the sixth year his adoptive father died and he was sent to prison. He then was forced to "join the empire" but he deserted after six months. He was a cook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again how can you fight an empire if it didn't yet exist when you were a child? I'm not pretending to have a point here you are. The show clearly contradicts the line as you've stated it to be.

Cassian Andor : What do you know? We don't all have the luxury of deciding when and where we want to care about something. Suddenly the Rebellion is real for you. Some of us live it. I've been in this fight since I was *six* years old. You're not the only one who lost everything. Some of us just decided to do something about it.

That is the line from the movie. He doesn't state he has been fighting the empire, like you claimed, since he was a child. The show contradicts his line. He was rescued at 9 so he wasn't fighting any rebellions since the age of 6. He would have had five years to be that child soldier and first fighting a "rebellion" if the comics are kept as canon. In the sixth year his adoptive father died and he was sent to prison. He then was forced to "join the empire" but he deserted after six months. He was a cook.
    Because again in universe, there are characters who see the Empire and the Republic that preceded it as one and the same and some of the people fighting the Empire ... also fought the Republic? Andor was literally born on a planet where he and his family had to fight to survive because of what the Republic did. The fact you can quote and still pretending it been directly contradicted is hilarious to me. There are literally explanations to show it hasn't been contradicted. The most you get is that Andor was being hyperbolic, you don't get to contradicted.

You are reaching on nothing.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-12-02 at 06:23 PM.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Because again in universe, there are characters who see the Empire and the Republic that preceded it as one and the same and some of the people fighting the Empire ... also fought the Republic? Andor was literally born on a planet where he and his family had to fight to survive because of what the Republic did.
    His birth father died on a different planet. When he was 9 he couldn't speak "common". Was frightened by technology. So that was all a ruse and he was "fighting the republic" for 3 years by that point? Requiring it to be an exaggerating is proof a contradiction exists. Otherwise he wouldn't be required to exaggerate. His statement being an exaggeration remove some of the thunder from the Rogue One line. It isn't a big "retcon" but it is still one the show really didn't account for.

It also doesn't matter if in-universe characters see the Republic and Empire as the same thing. He didn't care about either side personally. He didn't see much combat or training as a "separatist". He didn't see any action in the Imperial army. He wasn't fighting any real side other then his own and what he needed to do to survive and look after his own. Which is why he needed the manifesto, prison, and his imperials messing with his friends/home to convince him to pick a side.

Why do you make these stretches pretending you have a point?
    He's here to shitpost. The strawmanning is just to argue for the sake of arguing. It's impossible to talk sense into someone who is only interested in arguing in bad faith.

10+ Year Old Account
    His birth father died on a different planet. When he was 9 he couldn't speak "common". Was frightened by technology. So that was all a ruse and he was "fighting the republic" for 3 years by that point? Requiring it to be an exaggerating is proof a contradiction exists. Otherwise he wouldn't be required to exaggerate. His statement being an exaggeration remove some of the thunder from the Rogue One line. It isn't a big "retcon" but it is still one the show really didn't account for.
    Basic. The language name is Galactic Basic, not "Common." Star Wars isn't D&D.

It also doesn't matter if in-universe characters see the Republic and Empire as the same thing. He didn't care about either side personally. He didn't see much combat or training as a "separatist". He didn't see any action in the Imperial army. He wasn't fighting any real side other then his own and what he needed to do to survive and look after his own. Which is why he needed the manifesto, prison, and his imperials messing with his friends/home to convince him to pick a side.
    It does matter because if someone sees the Empire and Republic the same, they will not distinguish it. And just because he didn't care about either side personally doesn't mean he wasn't fighting. You don't need training or see much combat to be fighting. And the reason why he was fighting is not relevant to whether or not he was.

You are attempting to make a contradiction where there isn't one. And exaggerations are not contradictions.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-12-02 at 08:17 PM.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    It does matter because if someone sees the Empire and Republic the same, they will not distinguish it. And just because he didn't care about either side personally doesn't mean he wasn't fighting. You don't need training or see much combat to be fighting. And the reason why he was fighting is not relevant to whether or not he was. You are attempting to make a contradiction where there isn't one.
    If he didn't care it clearly wasn't a personal struggle he has been dealing with his entire life. His "fighting" after he left Kenari amounted to throwing sticks and rocks at Republic walkers. The reason why he was fighting is entirely relevant because he used it as a personal trait. I'm not attempting to make a contradiction there is one. He wasn't doing any fighting at six. He was still a "primitive" tribe scared of tech and stuff 3 years after he was supposed to have "fought the republic". That is a contradiction from his statement in Rogue One.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he didn't care it clearly wasn't a personal struggle he has been dealing with his entire life.
    That does not follow. Even without caring, it does not mean anything on whether or not it is personal. He cared about survival, therefore he fought to survive. Therefore, it was a personal fight for him.

His "fighting" after he left Kenari amounted to throwing sticks and rocks at Republic walkers. The reason why he was fighting is entirely relevant because he used it as a personal trait. I'm not attempting to make a contradiction there is one. He wasn't doing any fighting at six. He was still a "primitive" tribe scared of tech and stuff 3 years after he was supposed to have "fought the republic". That is a contradiction from his statement in Rogue One.
    Because it is a personal trait. And no, nothing you said makes it a contradiction. There is nothing contradicted, period. There is no debate here, except in your head.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-12-02 at 08:38 PM.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Basic. The language name is Galactic Basic, not "Common." Star Wars isn't D&D.
    Also, plenty of people don't speak (or choose not to speak) Galactic Basic. The Hutts traditionally refuse to, despite their influence (or perhaps because of, as a statement of power), even though we've seen a couple examples that they certainly could if they wanted to. Wookies don't seem capable of it, likely due to vocal structure. A lot of droids don't, like R2D2 or BB-8. Plenty of other aliens don't throughout the various shows and films. Andor's people not speaking Basic isn't the big weird exception it's played up to be. We also don't see a lot of their interactions with others; they run into that quarry and don't show any surprise at the machinery, they're clearly aware of technology even if they're destitute and separated enough that they don't have a lot of direct experience. It's entirely plausible to see them as a very early separatist group whose separation from greater Galactic society was an intentional choice, and since they're clearly armed and ready to shoot those blowguns at people, it's pretty strongly implied that they're largely hostile to outsiders. I don't see any reason to dispute Andor's claims of fighting since he was 6, even if the group he was fighting for was just his own small tribe of exiles rather than a greater Rebellion.

- - - Updated - - -

If he didn't care it clearly wasn't a personal struggle he has been dealing with his entire life. His "fighting" after he left Kenari amounted to throwing sticks and rocks at Republic walkers. The reason why he was fighting is entirely relevant because he used it as a personal trait. I'm not attempting to make a contradiction there is one. He wasn't doing any fighting at six. He was still a "primitive" tribe scared of tech and stuff 3 years after he was supposed to have "fought the republic". That is a contradiction from his statement in Rogue One.
    As above, no, it isn't. They weren't particularly "scared of tech", they're wary about tech they don't understand. They clamber over dilapidated quarry machinery without any fear at all, because they are familiar with the quarry and its tech. His entire group was primed for violence when they got to the crashed ship. They didn't initiate but they all returned fire, pretty immediately, without any fear or panic. We have no reason to think they've never run into other people or other ships, before. If they had, they wouldn't have been so prepared to defend themselves. They wouldn't have had the weapons to defend themselves, and no, hunting animals wouldn't be a justification; hunting is completely separate from battle.

15+ Year Old Account
    That does not follow. Even without caring, it does not mean anything on whether or not it is personal. He cared about survival, therefore he fought to survive. Therefore, it was a personal fight for him..
    Right. He was fighting to survive not a government.